OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padgett114

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Canards Reply with quote

It looks like just about every boat from Canada had a set of canards on the front of there boat. What do these do for you and how do they work? Are they hard to adjust while at speed and how touchy are they? Where do you them or do you have to make them yourself?
Tp Cauda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Dawg makes them himself for Dark Angel and I believe for Black Pearl too. Talk to him. I'm also looking for some wings. If you find out about them please let me know. I'm looking to race FX next year.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I know not much about them, I will give my input anyway.My first impression was that they look funny and out of place.After seeing them for a couple of years they have really grown on me and I think they look real trick.It's my understanding that they are electronically controlled by the driver or navigator.I was actually under the impression that they keep the boat down and prevent it from flipping.Last week at the worlds I was talking to a guy that corrected me and said they are trying to get more lift out of the boat thus having less boat in water which equals more speed.I'm not positive on the answer but that's my two cent's.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do both, they help create lift when needed and give downforce when needed (into strong winds). They are usually controlled by the driver and are easy to adjust. You really have to watch out in rough rapids and around the other boats as a bad wave can rip them off or bend them.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canards are available as a kit from us and most of the boats at the worlds which had them came from OE.

The theory of operation is slightly different than most people think. The intention is to trim the boat with the lift "in". Meaning the canards are set at the angle which they produce lift and the boat is trimmed to "fly" in that state using whatever wedging/nozzles etc required. The wings were designed to give aprox 100 lbs of lift at 100 mph
When rough water or high winds are encountered the wings can be trimmed to 'neutral' which in effect puts that 100 lbs back on the nose.

Bernie in parts can give you pricing on a wing kit for those interested. They do make a dramatic difference to the way a boat flies

Cheers

DOC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill vouch for that, especially when you have 2 fat guys in the boat. DOC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: