OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xerophobic - New motor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavefish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Xerophobic - New motor? Reply with quote

I am sure I am not alone in wondering this- have you gotten your new motor and installed it yet?
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Jesse

I got kinda screwed by the weatherman, again!
I got the shortblock and heads fri/sat
it was supposed to rain fri/sat so I didn't rush, of course it was gorgeous today(Sun) and yesterday! grrrrrr
The block and heads are in and i am minutes from doing the intake
My builder will set the valevetrain if I take it to him so I will button it up and take it to his house tomorrow nite and we'll fire it there

I can't wait altho I haven't been as motivated as I'd like(basically this weekend I was damn lazy)

This motor may fit into a BBFX class, if I begged lol
It has:

71 block, on its last legs with a few sleeves(i have 3 more lol)
stock crank
CJ rods, ARP bolts
DOVE heads, ported by me, nothing crazy, stainles valves
CompCams valvetrain including extreme marine cam #236 (I think)
Roller rockers(maybe not bbfxable)
Stealth intake, 2" spacer, 750 carb(wanna try 850)
headers uve all seen i think
forged TRW pistons, dish aprox 9.7: 1

Im really thinking this will be a hugely noticable difference. The motor was the same before except headers and the comp ratio used to be 10.7:1
That motor(with log manifolds) spun my pump to a hair under 5K so Im expecting hopefully about the same rpm
5K vs 4100ish now should be a huge diff I think!

I did a tiny bit more port work in the bowl area's but not a ton
I know someone in our club thats getting some DOVE's from a guy out west, Reincarnation Auto I think. Supposed to be really nice heads so I will study them and perhaps borrom one for a bit since I have anopther bare set> well till I can afford to get some new SCJ's anyway

i should have something to report by the end of the week, gotta get this thing broken in asap

Cheers and tks for askin!

Cavefish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the U.S. BBFX Ford rules- I don't know the Canadian rules- Are the SCJ heads aluminum???

BIG BLOCK FX FORD ENGINE

SPECIFICATIONS

All parts to be used cannot exceed the specifications given for the baseline Ford 460 Cobra Jet 485 HP crate engine.

If your engine to be used is a Ford 460 Cobra Jet 485 HP crate engine, check space below ____. No further specifications are needed.

If any parts to be used are other than spec. parts listed below, complete attached parts list (Be specific – list brand & part number!)

Must be submitted 2 weeks prior to race!

Part Specification
Heads –
M6049B429

72 cc
Any production cast iron or aluminum heads
No over the counter heads

No after-market – Dart, World Products, etc

NO PORT WORK OF ANY KIND ALLOWED

Valves Maximum Diameter Intake: 2.20"
Maximum Diameter Exhaust: 1.76"

Springs Valve springs
Pistons – NOTE: piston/head combo must not exceed 10.5:1
Block – M6009-D460
2 bolt
Any bore cast iron block
Maximum bore diameter 4.450"

Crank - Any crank with a stroke of 3.850"
Rods – Any rod with 6.605 cc length
Cam Drive Any single or double roller chain
No gear drives

No belt drives

Cam – M6250-A443 Hydraulic flat tappet
Roller Rocker Arm Any 1.72 ratio (rocker must be stamped)(they mean the ratio here)
Ignition Any Magneto/Electronic MSD etc.
Intake – M9424G429 Any single plane cast iron or aluminum intake. No port work to any manifolds.
No air gap style manifolds

Carburetor Any 850 CFM off the shelf
No race type carbs. i.e. BG/Divinci, etc.

Exhaust Any header with approved silencer
Oil System Any wet sump style oil pan
No external pumps

No dry sump

Fly wheel Any flex plate/fly wheel
Harmonic Balancer Any

Option 2: Same rules as above, but with 514 ci with bore of 4.450 and stroke of 4.140. Maximum bore of 4.450. Must run a dual plane maniford.

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the SCJ heads are aluminum and they are what now comes on the 460 and 514 crate motors. Unfortunatly they are also about $3400 cnd
ouch
I also forgot to mention my motor is 0.040 over

Maybe I could talk them into allowing the things like roller rockers cause of the disadvantage of running iron heads
Cheers

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well depsite what seems like everything efforts this week to delay me getting the new motor running I just got back from giving it its first sea trial.
I blew the trans in my Blazer on fri and a bunch of other messed up #$% happened this week but anyway..
It sounds way different than the old motor, wow how used to that stupid van motor I had become, so nice to hear a real camshaft for a change! The hull shakes like mad on the trailer which is nice to see(and scares potential passengers Very Happy )The hull makes even more noise now, just when I'd gotten used to all the vibrations and whiring that my wooden boat never did and now they are all even more noticable!!
The boat does have more punch and the motor seems to rev with so much less offort, just giving quick stabs on the throttle and you just feel the hull wanna jump.
Unfortunatly due to truck issues I had to do this run on lake Ontario and it was far from idea. It was simply too choppy to get any kind of sustained ride out of the hull. It does feel like it will easily wind the pump to 5K now and maybe a hair more. I am wondering if its cavitating a bit tho cause of the blades. I will definatl get in there this week and sharpen them, or make the tool to get the impellor off. I had no luck trying that before as I assume it has never been out of the pump !
Definatly happy aboput the whole setup but think one valve/lifter may be ticking so I cut the run short and will have a look at it all tonight
Will run it some ore this week before an oil change and then a little more agressive test
Very Happy
Cheers

jet 53

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i'd called i never ended up at work so I could have gone with and then we could have used my truck to get it to an ideal location....anyhow keep me posted on the next trip and i'm sure i'll fingd my way there, and get the $ for the trailer to you
cheers
pat

Cavefish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I read the rules roller rockers ARE legal. Are DOVE heads a production item, did they come on a street car or truck? Boy, Dave Provost (our only Ford guy here) would just love to see this boat race.
Reading your adventures brings back the fun I had with my first aluminum jet. Great times that was.
Jesse

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes DOVE heads are about the best iron head that was made in production, Head CC is 72-76 stock. Late model heads get as big as 98 :O
DOVE heads came with screw in studs and an adjustable valvetrain while late model heads are sled fulcrums and no adjustment.

Who runs the wild boat with the smallblock ford in it Jesse???

I may end up slow but I do wanna race, heading west likely early Dec

Cheers

Cavefish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Provost, it's a small block but I believe its 437 cubic inches, races A-class. #282 (182?) "Risky Business II" He's also the guy who had a huge part in codifying the details of all the FX rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: