OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UHMW Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: UHMW Replacement Reply with quote

Hello my bottom has been banged up a little and straightened up pretty good. problem is UHMW bottom 4ft wide length of boat is buckled outwards if you know what I mean. Thinking it might affect the performance of the boat(8 degree bottom radiused) i would like to replace the UHMW . It was bolted with hull tapped and nuts on inside. Will it be an impossible task to install new UHMW and hit the original bolt holes which are tapped 3/8" . Do I just get somebody to hold from bottom and drill pilot holes from inside then drill to right size? Thanks in advance
The Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Jet Boaters who hit rocks Reply with quote

How about some help here guys?
jack

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: fix it Reply with quote

hey watchman
your idea sounds good to me . if you could get a few started to hold it , that would help to get the rest in the right place
I dont have that stuff on my boat , couldn't understand why anyone would want to drill so many holes in a boat ?
I have watched a few guys that did have it and they sure seem to have fun boating over gravel bars and logs intentionally ! Pretty cool actually , to each their own eh ?
http://www.reltekllc.com/adhesives-for-uhmw.htm
I found this too , check it out
The Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I called to get info about bonding but the place was closed on the weekend. I'll post response from the company when I find out if it's doable . Probably would be combo of bonding and bolts.
rlnah2285

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For putting the uhmw back on....

You could reuse all the old bolt holes for putting the plastic back on but make sure to use a lot of sealant on the bolts. We use sikaflex to seal up the bolts as they pass through the teflon and hull. Also you will want to use rubber backed washers to make sure the bolts seal.

We have sikaflex and washers as well as the bolts to put the uhmw on at our shop. Just talk to bernie or gary in parts and they will help you out their best with it.

Hope this helps a little...

Also, another quick note. When you put the uhmw back on the boat, be sure to seal up around the pump area.. put a good bead of sika in between the teflon and bottom of the boat to seal up any gaps or air spaces around there. If you dont, you may end up having cavitation problems from sucking air in from between the plastic and hull, which isnt any good.
The Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if I should put some around the outside edge of the UHMW as it doesn't run the full width only about four feet across and not all the way to the bow about 3 ft short.
rlnah2285

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it would be a good idea to run a bead on the outside edges. It will help to seal up the gaps . Its also a cheap insurance way to make sure you have no air that could pass through and cause cavitation.

also another note...

when the plastic comes up to the pump be sure to bevel or sand off the edge at the front.... helps with water flow into the intake. Do you have a 240 sport jet in it?
The Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small block 350 and it sure is nice to have the power with the 8 degree bottom when the wind,and river current are pushing me into a logjam while going downriver. Looks like I have all the info the plastic could be cut with a jigsaw and straight edge or zipcut I guess.
rlnah2285

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much you can cut the plastic with anything.... best is a circular saw with a framing blade or something to that degree to make the shape:)
If you have any other hangups msg me and ill try my best to help you out.

Good luck on the project!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: