OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

River Boating on the South Saskatchewan River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: River Boating on the South Saskatchewan River Reply with quote

Can anyone give me any advise on the South Sask river as far as if you can take a river boat from Medicine Hat to Deifenbaker Lake,or does anyone no about any other river boating places in Saskatchewan

Thanks
Joel
Schmidb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: South Sask Reply with quote

http://www.riverbendjetboattours.com/

Not sure how much info they will give out, but they have tours heading South and North. I spoke with them about a month ago seem to be pretty honest people about the river, conditions and sites.

WOJO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medicine Hat to Deifenbaker is a long ways. You'll need acouple of spots to refuel. The 2 easiest places for refueling because of access is Sandy Point on hiway 41 and Estuary which is north and west of Leader, Sask. You'll also want to time the high water flow with the South Sask and the Red Deer. Many Many sand bars and shallow the closer you get to Diefenbaker. A great trip on the south sask is form Medicine Hat to Estuary. If your use to skimming across gravel bars and dodging big ass rocks go during low water, lots of fun, but bring a winch and lots of rope. If you travel with a river flow rate at 70 - 80 CM/S it's quite passable. At 40 - 50 CM/S a real challenge. Many a boat have been wrecked on this river at low water. Low flow, wide river, hard to tell deep from shallow and many a boulders just under and above the surface. Bring a satellite phone and check with Suffield Base for live fire activity. During live fire you cannot travel through the section where the base is on both sides of the river. Have Fun

Just wanna have fun
CaptainCrazy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Know about Madicine hat to Deifenbaker, but I have run from the forks of the Red Deer and the South Saskatewan (Estuary Ferry) to Medicine Hat and back. Took roughly 8-9 hours round trip( @35-45 mph) with a lots of stops and P' breaks. I think it would would take about 12-14 hours one way and I m not too sure but I think there might be some lower level bridges down stream from Leader. Pm me if your interested, I'd be happy to make the trip with you! Hope this helped!

089.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.29 KB
 Viewed:  19223 Time(s)

089.JPG

059.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.95 KB

059.JPG

090.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.57 KB

090.JPG

ss rattler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends that have done Med. Hat to Dief. lake several times, and yes fuel is the issue and does take some advance planning. Have just taken delivery of our first jet boat and hope to do that trip as well. I live in the area, and would be pleased to help with any questions you may have, regarding the river or fuel possibilities.
Joel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ss rattler I am new to jet boating as well I drove down to Sask Landing the other day just to have a look and its still froze up I am pretty pumped about getting out there and learning all about my boat and the rivers,I was thinking about going from Sandy point Campground then down to Deifenbaker,but I better take the boat out for a test run a few times,just waiting on some open water around closer to home.
madtacc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't say that i have been past Sandy point , but i have been from Medicine Hat to Sandy point and there is some good boating to be had, i have been out on the river for a couple weeks now and is is fun right now but levels are low so be careful. I am always up for a trip so if anyone is looking to go PM me. cheers
ss rattler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have also been out on the S.S. a couple of times at Sandy Point in the past week and the level is quite low. No problem when calm and glassy, but when it is windy with surface chop the boulders are hard to spot. Keeps the adrenalin level up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: