OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jet Boating around Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Jet Boating around Chicago Reply with quote

Kind of hard to get people to go adventure jet boating but we do have a cool river near Chicago called the DesPlains.It ranges form 3ft to 6 inches in some places The lower part of the river is 10 miles and has alot differnt channel changes with some skinny water.

DesPlainslockport.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.65 KB
 Viewed:  18928 Time(s)

DesPlainslockport.jpg

leadvilleone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Hey midwest,
How many boaters are in your area? You may be interested in visiting Western Michigan. Many of the river legs are 20 to 35+ miles before hitting a dam. It would be great to have others to boat with.
Can't seem to get my pic to post which is downstream of the Allegan Dam on the Kalamazoo River. It is a 29 mile stretch to Lake Michigan. There are also the Muskegon, Grand, & Manistee Rivers near by.

Mark D.
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is a small handful guys here on this site from the midwest
I am going out to Marsing Idaho for the Jet Sprint races over Labor Day weekend.I have a Rayson Craft Flat Bottom I am trying to turn,while I am in Idaho I plan on looking for a hull project to send back home.Cheers Steve (Midwest Jet Sprint )

AR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Midwest covers a lot of states.

I also went West and got hooked on Aluminum Boats.
Ended up with a New Step-Tec bare hull that I put together last Winter. Two seats and a homemade ZZ4, runs 80 mph. It's a Blast to drive and there is a lot of "Skinny" water in Iowa.

There's about 30 Jets around here if you could get them all together , but I'm the only "Beer Can" boater so far.......

It's fun to drive "on past" most of the BBC Jets and use a fifth of the Fuel !
This is my fifth jetboat and the most fun so far....................
There's a picture of it on the Outlaw Boat Models Site - Performance Models, Sport 19 foot.
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is 4 Alloy Jet Boaters Iowa,ILL, Mich and Wis almost enough to start a racing club. Here are some rivers in Wisconsin that are Canoe type water but maybe be worth Jet Boating

Galena River, Wis. Located in the southwest corner of Wisconsin, Svob said this little-known river flows amid rolling hills and cliffs. Beginning the trip at County Highway W southwest of Darlington, paddlers will find the river filled with non-stop riffles and Class I rapids. A take-out constructed by the Darlington Boat Club is several miles downstream.

Upper Namekagon, Wis. Unlike the more popular southern sections of the Namekagon paddled throughout the summer, the Upper Namekagon – upstream from Hayward – is a great choice for spring. "I think it's the prettiest part of the Namekagon," Svob said. Paddlers will find a narrower river with more gradient, with moving water to Class I rapids.

St. Croix River, Wis. After Gordon Dam, just below the St. Croix Flowage, west of Gordon in Douglas County, paddlers will find a nine-mile stretch that is much narrower than the lower sections commonly paddled throughout the summer. Svob said the river is replete with riffles and Class I whitewater. "It's a mild, remote whitewater run," he said. A highlight includes an old logging dam, now partially removed, which can be safely run by paddlers with basic maneuvering skills.

White River, Wis. The White is a windy joy of a river located in Bayfield County, east of Mason. "Because of its constant gradient, it gets quite dry later on in the year," Svob said. Minus a three-mile flat water section, the 13-mile run is a continuous flow of moving water, riffles and Class I-II rapids. "And there's not a single house the whole way," Svob added.

MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other river choices

INTERMEDIATE CHOICES

Embarrass River, Wis. From Tigerton to County Highway M, Berry said this short two- to three-mile run includes the Tigerton Dells, which can reach Class III in higher water levels. "But it's easily scouted and walked," he said. The highlight of the paddle is the dells, set in a beautiful little gorge.

Hall's, Creek, Wis. One of Altmann's spring favorites is this four- to 5-mile creek run, which begins off Garage Road, south of Hatfield. "It's a Class II, pool-drop style river in all but very high water," he said. "And it's located in a Sandstone Canyon, which eventually flows into the Black River. You'd think you were down south." Altmann has found that when the Black River is runable, Hall's Creek experiences similar water levels.

South Fork of the Flambeau, Wis. West of Phillips, paddlers commonly run an eight-mile stretch to Little Falls. Be aware that Little Falls is a Class III drop, and should be scouted (and carried) by using the portage trail on the left side of the river.

Little Wolf, Wis. From Wolf River Road to Big Falls, northeast of Iola, paddlers can enjoy Class I-II whitewater in a rock-garden style river. "The rapids keep building, so you warm up as you go," Svob said, until you reach some Class II water in the dells section near the end of the trip.

Morrison Creek, Wis. Ewers said this creek, running from east to west into the Black River near Hatfield, drains a number of cranberry bogs and swamps. From south Cemetery Road to County Highway K, Ewers called this two-mile run a Class II-plus. "It's very scenic, filled with white pine, along a creeky, twisty river."

Oconto River, Wis. From the Highway 32 bridge to County Highway W or further south to Bagley Rapids near Mountain, Berry recommends this fast-moving Class I and II stretch of river. About one and one-half miles into the trip, scouting is recommended at the Old Krammer Dam site rapid, a solid Class II run that can become quite pushy at higher levels.

East Branch of the Ontonagon, Upper Peninsula, Mich. White recommends this river for those interested in a continuous Class II-III run in the complete wilderness setting of the Ottawa National Forest. The seven-mile stretch, which ends near Military Bridge, is filled with drops and large waves.

Upper Peshtigo, Wis. Raft companies operate on many of the more southern sections of the Peshtigo throughout the summer. But further north, from Burnt Bridge Landing to Burton Wells Bridge (northeast of Laona) flows a beautiful Class II section. Four rapids are scattered amid flat water along this six-mile stretch. The Upper Peshtigo, Ewers said, "has a remote feeling, with lots of wildlife." He cautions boaters to scout the entrance to the dells section, which also is referred to as Ralton's Rips. An island divides the river there, and Ewers said the rapid can be run safely on the right. The left side is a boulder sieve.

Pine River, Wis. Located south of Merrill, the Pine is a wonderful whitewater surprise, set amid rolling farmland north of Wausau. From Center Road to County Highway W, Berry describes a wild Class II-III river run, complete with a small dells, a few drops and plenty of waves.

Popple, Wis. "The first section is a narrow, windy, tiny river with numerous small rapids, and very remote," Svob said. "The second section is beautiful, but has tough, big drops – four Class IIIs." White recommends using the U.S. Geological Survey gauge on the Internet. "A little over 100 cfs on the Popple is a good level," he said.

Prairie, Wis. Located in northeast of Merrill, in Lincoln County, the Prairie Dells section is a river success story. Locals won the long-abandoned Prairie Dells Dam's removal, which converted the flowage back to what Svob calls "a lovely little gorge." The Dells section is a mile of continuous Class II rapids.

Yellow River, Wis. South of Marshfield, between County Highway N and Richland Park, Altmann recommends this beautiful Class II run at most spring levels. He offers one warning: "There's one large drop, called Big Bowl, that's a Class III." Altmann suggests boaters look at the gauge on the N bridge center pillar before starting. "Anything above zero on the gauge is runable Class II (except for Big Bowl); over 2 on the gauge means Class III water."

MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last but worth boating Kiwi Madness style

ADVANCED CHOICE

Montreal River, border of Wisconsin and upper Michigan. Located northwest of Hurley, the trip starts with a breathtaking view of the 78-foot Saxon Falls just above the put-in. The biggest challenge is also there – a steep 146-step ladder leads down the river. Some paddlers shoulder their boats and hang on to the rail as they descend, others use ropes to lower their boats down the ravine. Once underway, you'll enter a beautiful, remote canyon with Class II-III rapids, necessitating skilled boat maneuvering. Because the canyon is impossible to portage, only experienced paddlers should attempt this trip.

AR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MidwetJetSprint,
What, do you have a Sprint boat now ? Have you run any of those water-ways ?

I like "New" places, but I also like at least two boats and four people. A little knowledge of the area don't hurt either..... Shocked Wink
Hitnrun
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place looks like fun to play around with a Tomcat.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by Hitnrun on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
h20skiiwi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Wisconsin Boating Reply with quote

I have an 18 ft. step-tec hull with a 240 sportjet. I live on the fox river near Oshkosh. I have hundreds of miles of lakes and rivers to run with out ever taking the boat out of the water. I love jet boating on the Wisconsing river near the upper and lower dells. We can go where the prop boats can not so it is not busy at all. There lots os sand bars this year since the water is down. To bad I have to sell my boat. There are tons of cool places to boat in Wisconsin. Does anyone else boat in Wisconsin?

dells 2005 032.jpg
 Description:
upper dells 2
 Filesize:  15.33 KB
 Viewed:  18433 Time(s)

dells 2005 032.jpg

dells 2005 030.jpg
 Description:
Upper dells
 Filesize:  15.41 KB

dells 2005 030.jpg

dells 2005 025.jpg
 Description:
Sand bar on hte Wisconsin River
 Filesize:  15.96 KB

dells 2005 025.jpg

hcw3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm leadvilleone's navigator And I'm hooked.

I've got a jet boat, but not a river type, it's 91' ultranautics jetstar 12'5" with a force 90 in it

But leadville's 16 sport with the 240 is the most fun I've ever had on the water. We ran from Lake Michigan to Newago on the muskegon last night. too much fun.

I've got to get me one of these, h20 is you boat posted somewhere or is it already sold?

You folks have to check out Michigan. We haven't found rapids yet, but all the skinnywater and deadfall you want. Last night running through the marsh we had cat tails touching both sides of the boat...

Harrison

MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful running in those marshs(some are protected wet lands)let alone sucking in cat tails and wadding your pump up
h20skiiwi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: 18 ft Eagle sport for sale in Midwest Reply with quote

My boat is still for sale. I am now asking $15,500 USD. It is in the buy/sell forum. Email me or call me if you are interested.

http://outlaweagle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107

1998 Eagle 185 Sport, tunnel hull, 2001 240 efi Mercury Sportjet,
Custom built for Mercury Marine, the first eagle sportjet prototype,
low hours, engine less than 30 hours,58 mph,
trailering and cockpit cover, trailer. Excelent condition.

phone:920-410-8880
email: h20skiiwi@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: