OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great another Newby question(s)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAWNCHAIR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Great another Newby question(s) Reply with quote

Hello all,

Recently arrived to GP officially Mid July, from Cow town, in the oil gas service sector surprise surprise...

Anyway, my wife and I are interested in the Jet Boat scene, we have just began researching boats to purchase, I have been in one once a few years back Ric Pedersons 1000 hp boat, scared the heck out of me...

Either I am stupid or after recovery of that experience, enjoyed the hell out of it, so I will start with my questions here.

Typical 1st question which boat to purchase, naturally not interested in a 1000 hp jet boat, something the average guys runs up and down the river, lakes etc. I like the idea of joining the River Rats etc and getting involved in the social scene as well.

I have talked Harbercraft with a sales guy in Sexsmith, seem decent enough, been scouting the river at Mcgoo's for the last few nights. Seen a bunch of the Outlaws (different flavours) seen a Custom Weld, jET CRAFT. I would like something I can grow into cause i am a newby, yet something that is gonna not regret me to say "I wish I never bought this dam boat:

I guess Price I really havent set a limit, perhaps my wife has, The Harbercraft i looked at was in the $60 k, so i guess thinking this maybe a starting point for the sake of discussion.

Where is a resonable price to start, don't want to get into a money pit either, so kinda thinking new. Would like some recommendations as to were to start, maybe if someone is on the river could give me a test ride I can pay the fuel, Would like to ride in each brand, hear the pro's and con's of each and try to make a educated decisons based on experience, and feel. Would like to weed out the "JONES" he has a JET CRAFt so I need a JET CRAFT sort of thinking, not picking on Jet craft just picking a brand for conversation.

Mission is to be a weekend warrior, do some fishing, river runs, pokar rally. Get a boat that is Newbie proof as much as possible.

Question #2 Teflon bottoms? good? bad? a must?

If you would rather email directly with some advice, kewl

lawnchair50 at hotmail dot come

Thanks in advance for your help.
mountainman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a couple things to consider are:

1. How many people are you planning on having in the boat? Weight etc.
2. Do you prefer 4 or 2 stroke?
3. Plan on hunting with it?

I would recommend teflon bottom as it is not if you hit a rock but when you hit a rock. Makes it easier to get off shore also.

As for make of boats you are on the Outlaw site I own a Lynx myself great boats and they come in both 2 and 4 stroke models now. You need to ask yourself what it is you are going to do with the boat and research research research.

Not all boats are built equal. For the Wapiti late summer be ready for shallow water. Smoky is a little better but can get shallow too.

Have fun looking for the boat. I am due back in Grande Prairie near the end of June if everything stays as planed and would take you out in my boat for a day if we can set it up.
Dano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for to post all the questions you have. The more research and looking you do the better. I wished I'd have done more before jumping in head first.

Best thing to do is go down to the launch and ask for a ride. No one in this hobby is going to charge you for gas money. The jet boat crowd just love to show off their boats and I think the crowd in GP are a pretty proud bunch.

Ask the owner as many questions as you can and get a feel for who likes what in regards to boat size, hull design, engines etc.

Try and get to as many boat rallies as you can. These are great places to get involved with the social scene and learn about jet boats.

Oh ya it does not matter that this is the Outlaw/Eagle forum, there are many other brands on this forum and they all get talked about.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of jet boating. You will love it.

ntjetboater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome again.
Some more points to consider

1. How many people are you planning on having in the boat? Family, kidz, dog, wife etc...
2. Do you prefer V-8 or 2 stroke?
3. How fast do you want to go? Anything over 60mph and you'll need and Eagle...
4. Plan on hunting with it? Want Heat?, room for 200 gallons and 4 guys with gear for a week

C you on the river..

LAWNCHAIR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Advice guys keep it coming...

No hunter here, fishing and crusing mostly, I would think 4-5 adult peeps max. Not planning on racing or beating peeps to the launch. Perfer V8 4 stroke Min 300 hp prob max 400 due to consumption of fuel. Rather have it on the river than sitting on the drive way not being able to afford to run it. Would like to stay in the 20-21' range, not sure yet about degree of haul, still learning that and researching. I would like to do more river runs, am I being nieve can u do the wapiti and Smokey all summer, or water to shallow? Me being a newbie also, is it plausable for me to run the skinny water..
cul8rrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumped in to jet boating a few yrs ago tha same as u r today. wanted to run rivers and just did a little homework. Everybody has there fav brands just like vehicles. But i got a 19 hammerhead by firefish it has a 350 fi and a sd309 pump and for my first boat it is awesome. I learned about weight issue so next boat i would bring fuel tanks forward more. Other than that i would reorder the same boat very happy with it. It has 8 degree bottom and jumping from ski boat with like 26 degree it was a experience to say the least to learn how to drive all over again. If your going to run lakes a fair bit you may want to have more v as it is rough in the chop with 8 degree. u cant have best of both worlds but i will stay with my 8 as i river run more than lake run. when it gets really rough u just hug lake edge on way back no going straight across. Happy to help u out before u order a boat. Only live hr away and go boating your way once in while. Narroway and torrens is a good trip did last year.
LAWNCHAIR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the guy in the Lite tan Dodge Mega cab lurking around Mcgoos last few nights, plan on being there to night as well..
mockiam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cul8rrr wrote:
jumped in to jet boating a few yrs ago tha same as u r today. wanted to run rivers and just did a little homework. Everybody has there fav brands just like vehicles. But i got a 19 hammerhead by firefish it has a 350 fi and a sd309 pump and for my first boat it is awesome. I learned about weight issue so next boat i would bring fuel tanks forward more. Other than that i would reorder the same boat very happy with it. It has 8 degree bottom and jumping from ski boat with like 26 degree it was a experience to say the least to learn how to drive all over again. If your going to run lakes a fair bit you may want to have more v as it is rough in the chop with 8 degree. u cant have best of both worlds but i will stay with my 8 as i river run more than lake run. when it gets really rough u just hug lake edge on way back no going straight across. Happy to help u out before u order a boat. Only live hr away and go boating your way once in while. Narroway and torrens is a good trip did last year.
mockiam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cul8rrr we are headed up to the Tuschodi lakes on June 10 to 14 if you are inetrested. I posted earlier but don't know where it went.
Rock Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: in the right place. Reply with quote

Well you got the first step right, you found this forum. If you need your questions answered, just start reading. By reading on this forum, you will learn the lingo, and find out just what type of boater you are or want to be.
No need to be in a rush to make a purchase. If I where you, I would take my time and make a smart purchase on perfect boat for you right now.
And also, ALBERTA IS OUTLAW / EAGLE COUNTRY.
I think a Saber E6 is the perfect alround boat.

WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the movie "The people Vs Larry Flint", Larry says "opinions are like the @---hole: everybody's got one".

This in my opinion:

1) 2 strokes should not be considered as they will be outlawed for enviromental issues.

2) A deadrise of 12-14 degrees will be good for going on both shallow waters and somewhat choppy lakes.

3) Around 350 HP will be enough for carrying 5 passengers, fuel and gear

4) Jet Unit: Hamiltons are tough and very good for getting on plane fast and towing boats. (downside: parts are expensive and not easy to get). American or Berkeleys are simple, and simple is beautiful.

My advise for enjoying boating is simple as well: Focus on the boating and not the boat. Enjoy nature; the river; the water; the landscape; the fun with friends;

If you focus on your boat performance it is hardly that you will be 100% satisfied 100% of the time and will always be craving a larger(or smaller) boat; or more power; or more fuel efficiency; or more speed; or more ease for getting on plane ...etc...

Will R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Wilson!
cul8rrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tks for invite mokiam to tuchodi. think i will be up in fn working not sure if i will make it back by then.talked to dahlen and want to go out tommorow somewhere.pm me if your interested and we can hook up on river not sure if hes coming.
JET1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im also brand new to this im in grande praire i bought a 16ft lynx iv only had it out 4 times so far but i did a tonne of reasearch before i bought as well and the lynx tochodi special is what i decided would be the best boat for me. if im at the launch any night your there just ask your more than welcom to come for a ride my boat is white with a grey top and my truck is a white ford with quads on a deck
LAWNCHAIR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find a nice Used boat any guru's in GP to ask to inspect it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: