OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOMETHING DIFFERENT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomhower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: SOMETHING DIFFERENT Reply with quote

144 VOLT DC MOTOR

CAMERA PICS 010R.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.39 KB
 Viewed:  24303 Time(s)

CAMERA PICS 010R.jpg

Alumaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow too Cool, had always wanted to see someone do an electric.

Is that a WarP 11 ?

Any more details,
Amps, HP, lithium or lead & how many
Boomhower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a whole lot about it, Heard he ran it. 12 Optima blue top batteries, the hull is a 21' steptech. The builder has been at this project for a couple years now. A few issues with the control, keeping it cooled. etc. But it works.

Last edited by Boomhower on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you could put a cordless drill on the end and get a bit more out of er'? Wink
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it lasts, say at cruise of?
Alumaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These motors have demonstrated some impressive numbers in the 1/4 mile cars. But ya, cooling would an issue for longer runs in a boat. Lots of drag on the water, not like running on pavement.

Maybe future generations will bee running the "UIM electric river marathon class". LOL
east coast idiot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome. Electric has some advantages - quiet, clean, good low end torque, but battery storage is a problem.
Back when I was at GM, I had an EV1 to drive for a couple years, and it was my favorite car. It was really fast - it would smoke the tires right off the car, and it was silent. We had chargers at the plant, so it cost nothing to drive.
You wouldn't believe how many people told me I should put a fan on the front of the car, and use the wind to power the motor...
don wright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we just get involved with electric's when were forced into them? Sure its great for the environment but until then a gig of gas is killin us at 3.80 so leave ur suv run all nit. Turn up the heat and for god sakes put large gasoline pumpin engines into boats!
Kev-o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a Warp 9 in that thing, he was going to put in one Warp 13 but decided on two Warp 9 running siamesed, he just tested it with the one motor and the boat would not get on plane as once it hit 132 Volts the system went into a sort of power save mode and would not let the motor supply any more current past the control.

He plans on getting the other motor in this winter and ready for testing again in the spring, these motors can turn 10,000 RPM but I am told they like to run in the 4,200-4,500 range.

As far as stamina the owner seems to think he will be able to get a days worth of boating if he is easy on it, charging will be via an onboard inverter and a small generator and is said to take about 3 hrs to a full charge.

Neat project for sure Idea

Kev-o

Geezeracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referred to this and thought I'd offer a quick reply that might help. The motor looks like a 9. I'm not sure there's a lot of run-time on a single lead-acid string, but it will have plenty of power and gobs of torque.

You can push range up pretty dramatically though with newer battery chemistry, and even better stuff is in the pipeline...and heat isn't really as big a problem as most imagine. We can run a hydro through a kilo and back, with fairly long run-ups and run-outs and the motor barely warms.

The current electric kilo record is 98.8 mph, run on an 80 pound, 132v Lithium-Ion pack. Power was controlled by a 2,000 amp motor controller operated through a racing hand throttle. The boat was exiting traps at 104 mph and could easily have run above 100, but safe design speed was set at about 90 and at 100 it was starting to impersonate a bird. you can see video of the record here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNu2_LlO9s

John

P1010072X.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.13 KB
 Viewed:  23840 Time(s)

P1010072X.JPG

Kev-o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. very interesting stuff and always good to see somebody trying it different.

Kev-o

reeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of an American Chopper episode a few weeks ago when they built that electric drag bike to beat the world record.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0bxRu81IA

Photos:
http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/chopper-gallery
Geezeracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....."reminds me of an American Chopper episode a few weeks ago when they built that electric drag bike to beat the world record."

That would be Shawn Lawless' "Rocket" that's currently at 177 mph / 7.46 seconds. For some time now the Measure's been Bill Dubé's "Killacycle" at near the same speeds/times. Shawn's stepping up to contest sets up the sort of competition that leads to real discovery and development.

You can find a lot of EV performance, teams and video links here:
http://www.nedra.com/

Here's the site for Shawn's competitor:
http://www.killacycle.com/

Here's the site for the quickest of the street-legal conversions:
http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/

And an OPB segment on the car's evening of drag racing:
http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686

I think Speeds/Times there were about 110 mph / 11.8 seconds, but the car's switched to a major lithium pack now with some chassis and gearing reworks to push the record to 125 @ 10.2.

My involvement began as an electric utility employee who got tabbed to develop electric boats for a company promotion...They wanted the existing speed record broken and put me onto sorting it out because I was a boat racer. After a couple years frustrated by management I retired to take another job and took the electrics along to set them up as an APBA special event racing class. We've set a series of records since, and NEDRA formed shortly after to provide another test/development venue.

I know this sort of thing's not for everybody, but it's a pretty interesting puzzle that offers a lot of options and opportunities.

John
GB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking of this for a while and wondering why someone hasn’t tried a VSD with a generator to supply base load and battery charging. By doing this you supply the electric motor with base kW while having the battery storage for additional kW’s when needed.
Moving on a bit, new inverter gensets supply variable DC output which means you could run a common DC bus for battery storage and base load giving high short term kW’s when needed from the battery. The genset would vary dependent on charging requirements and combination motor load.
Advantages less battery and prime mover (genset motor) weight.
Longer range
Cheap battery charging from mains suuply
Dano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I could tear around on the river in a almost silent jet boat. I'm kinda partial to the throaty rumble of a V8.

Hey Doc do you think the fans would still go to the drag races if your cars were tearing down the track and they couldn't hear them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: