OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Helmet Camera's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitecourtlife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Helmet Camera's Reply with quote

I just bought a Contour Helmet cam.... Whats the best resolution to set it on?? The 1080p has a slower ft/second than the 720p. What have people been using for helmet cam's and where should I mount it?
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Curt
What is the frame rate at each setting? You want to be around 30fp/s for decent resolution.
Mounting locations depend on what you want to see for footage. Under the A frame of the roll bar and straight out the front is the classic view, backwards off the top of the RB is a neat angle. Far left and tilted back toward the centre of the boat is also cool. On the right side of nav man again aiming back to bow is a another good perspective. I think you want to switch it up during the race..but it is up to you.

Here is an old clip with a bunch of cool angles..16 different onboards..take your pick they are all good.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ntjetboater#p/u/4/5SS7X51QnLg

this is one of my fav angles.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ntjetboater#p/u/9/wfGASCx8YuE

good luck..

Cool

Dano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince what is the diff between 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps? Apparently they both consume the same memory on a memory card.

Also what do you think of this rig: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-helmet-hero-camera/

towman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hero HD and I used it for the first time this weekend. Mounted to my windshield it took excellent video. I haven't got it edited yet but looked at it on computer and it was amazigly steady and perfectly clear. I will post what I can when I figure it out but so far I am very impressed. The only downside is making sure you are in the correct mode as I missed some great vids because it went out of video to camera mode on me.
RED ROOSTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: helmet camz Reply with quote

720 30 fps is great for general use, easy editing and good memory card life.
60 fps is good for slow motion if you're into that sorta thing !!
We have several for our jet boat tour company.
www.squamishriverjet.ca there's a couple of video's there, some shot with the go pro hd 720, 30 fps
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano
Here is a chart that gives a bit of detail..
* 1080p = 1920×1080 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
* 960p = 1280×960 pixels (4:3), 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s data rate
* 720p = 1280×720 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
* 720p = 1280×720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate

To keep it simple...720 refers to lines of horizontal resolution..more lines..better quality..more memory required..Frames per second will increase memory required as well. I think original HD was only 720P.
As Rooster hinted using 720, 30 fp/s is a good all around setting. The videos I posted are filmed at 560P and 30 fp/s.

I am not sure what it is with these cameras but they seem to generate (horizon wobble?) I've seen several videos on youtube and they seem to have a funny wobble in the video...I tried it mounted to the Harley and it does the same thing, but that said it also captures some great quality footage, depth of field is good and very clear.
The best part of the camera is the footage is on a card and you just drag and drop when you want to clean your card.

Dano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vince. Is it possible to set the camera on high res while filming and then post it on a lower res afterwards? Post I mean on youtube. Or do you have to decide before you start filming which resolution to set your camera on?
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano
Now your getting into editing.
Most of the time you want to capture footage at the best possible resolution. Once it is on your puter you can export it to any format and resolution you want or Youtube will compress your video to their liking.

hellsgate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIO POV.T is the system I own: totally waterproof (even the recorder unit can safely be submerged several feet), shock resistant, heavy duty, and the cable-connected cam sends a digital signal to the recorder unit (battery pack/viewer screen) which has a removable memory card, and also has a remote RF wristband start/stop button which is nice to use. When I bought mine the top rez was 720p30, now the new HD versions run 1080p, better DSP and cheaper. The T cam is heavy and housed in a billet sleeve, came with nice case and several types of mounts in a kit, not sure about the HD setup which is $569; the T is about $700 USD.
wilfred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellsgate wrote:
VIO POV.T is the system I own: totally waterproof (even the recorder unit can safely be submerged several feet), shock resistant, heavy duty, and the cable-connected cam sends a digital signal to the recorder unit (battery pack/viewer screen) which has a removable memory card, and also has a remote RF wristband start/stop button which is nice to use. When I bought mine the top rez was 720p30, now the new HD versions run 1080p, better DSP and cheaper. The T cam is heavy and housed in a billet sleeve, came with nice case and several types of mounts in a kit, not sure about the HD setup which is $569; the T is about $700 USD.

i have one of those, very good and tough, however can confirm do not survive if you run it over with your own truck!! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: