OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thrust bearing goin out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
well_head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Thrust bearing goin out? Reply with quote

I'm wondering what kind of symtoms/noise would signal a thrust bearing going out? I've got a AT/Dominator pump and getting a bad noise that started gradually but quickly got louder. No significant vibration but a high pitched whine that increases with engine speed. If I drop it in the water it doesnt start until the pump is primed and pumping water. I removed the bowl and checked for debris in suction/impeller/bowl, all clean. I know it not making the sound of junk stuck in there. Had that many time before. Impeller blades sharp, no damage to shaft or bowl bushings either. Checked clearances around impeller to wear ring and all are within spec I believe. .031 radially and .026 axially. I want to remove the bearing and inspect it. Also, can I possibly do this with the pump and engine installed? Or would removing the pump or engine be the best way to go? Think it could be other possiblities? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Summer is way too short. Thanks guys.
DOC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease the shit out of it, maybe it'll go away.
well_head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do religiously grease it, but worth a try anyway...
Hines

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc it will go away alright your right their ha.Later.
Wocket16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure sounds like a bearing. Run good and hard for a few miles then stop, jump in back and feel the collar, see if it's hot. Not definitive, and they can make noise and not get hot but it is one test. You can also pull the bowl and impeller and try to move the shaft fore and aft ( it WILL and should move sideways a bit) it should not move fore and aft at all. The collar, bearing and shaft come out the front of the pump so you have to at least pull the motor or pull the pump to change the bearing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: