OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kilo records for whitewater boats?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UFJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Kilo records for whitewater boats? Reply with quote

I asked this question in another thread and didn't get a reply, so I'll try again.
Are there speed trials for whitewater boats like there are for circle boats here in the US? Is the course a measured kilo? If so, What are the records for the popular classes? If not, Why not??
WILSON

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of this. I don't think it's recorded in the U.S. and it is certainly not recorded in Mexico.

What about Canada?

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The APBA has records listed for the classes in JRR (Jet River Racer). Some are quite old I seem to remember. There were a set of trials at Lincoln City, OR on October 15, 2005. Here is a copy of the APBA Sanction
and following that, I have posted the link.....
APBA Race Circular
Sanction ID 1428

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regatta Rocky Stone Memorial Kilo's
Date 2005-10-15
Sanction Status Approved Region # 10
Conducting Club COLUMBIA OUTBOARD RACING ASSOCIATION Club# 157
Co-Host Region 10
Application Date 2005-08-08 Approved on 2005-09-15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Place Lincoln City , OR Devils Lake

Directions From Hwy. 101, turn east on East Devils Lake Road. Follow the signs to East Devils Lake State Park.

Accommodations Hotels and Motels in Lincoln City, Oregon

Classes
Saturday, October 15, 2005
00850 - JET RIVER RACER
00870 - OUTBOARD RIVER RACER
01000 - Inboard (All Classes)
02000 - Inboard Endurance (All Classes)
04000 - Pro Outboard (All Classes)
05000 - Modified Outboard (All Classes)
06000 - Stock Outboard (All Classes)
07000 - Outboard Performance Craft (All Classes)
11000 - J Class (All Classes)

All UIM Classes Special Events: Electric Boats, Jet River Racers, Outboard River Racers
Format/Rules KILO -- APPROVED for Records.

Prizes None

Registration Phone in registration by 10/13/05 to Laureen or Buzz Thorsen at 503-649-4064 - OR - by e-mail at: laureent@juno.com

Drivers Meeting Saturday, 10/15/05 - in hot pits - at 7:00 a.m. sharp.

Send Entries To LAUREEN THORSEN 18775 SW VISTA ST ALOHA, OR 97006
Entry Fees $100 for National Records $ 35 for Region 10 Records

Officials
AsstRef: DICK RAUTENBERG 19719 28TH DR SE BOTHELL, WA 98012-7255
Inspector: STEVE GREAVES 3110 PORTAGE BAY PL E # D SEATTLE, WA 98102-3884
Inspector: BOB SCHELLHASE 20415 190TH AVE SE RENTON, WA 98058-0516
Inspector: WILLIAM C THOMPSON 6550 LITTLEROCK RD SW TUMWATER, WA 98512
RaceDir: ALLEN THORSEN 19100 NE BALD PEAK RD NEWBERG, OR 97132-6602
Referee: SAM HOUGHTALING 1546 NE 146TH ST SEATTLE, WA 98155-7210
RiskMan: KENNETH KAISER 40405 NW MERTAUGH RD NORTY PLAINS, OR 97133-6144
Scorer: LAUREEN THORSEN 18775 SW VISTA ST ALOHA, OR 97006-2908

Notes Time Trial Rep.: RIC MONTOYA, 2541 7TH AVE., W., SEATTLE, WA 98119-2514 It is requested that you phone in your registration at the above listed number. In case of cancellation, we would then be able to contact all entrants.

Surveyor Russ Dodge

This Regatta is Sanctioned through the APBA
All prizes are the responsibility of the conducting Club. APBA does not guarantee nor is it responsible for payment of prizes. You are advised this event may be canceled prior to the race due to circumstances beyond the control of this association. If you plan to travel a long distance, it is recommended that you contact the race sponsor prior to your departure to ensure this event will take place.

ALLEN THORSEN

Summary Sheet
Entry Blank
Home | Memberships | News | Events | Contact Us | Webmaster
© 2001 American Power Boat Association All rights reserved Terms of Use

Here is the link:
http://www.apba-racing.com/Sanctions.php?ID=1428&hideNav=1

So I guess to answer your question, yes, there are speed trails. Kilo course.

Here are some of the records I found:
102.85 MPH
Class 00930 - A JET CLASS Saturday, April 13, 2002 Record Type KILO
Location OROVILLE, CA Driver DENNIS FARSTER Owner DENNIS FARSTER
Boat RUSHIN ROULETTE Hull Type EAGLE Engine CHEVY

76.85 MPH
Class 00940 - FX LTD JET CLASS Saturday, October 19, 2002 Record Type KILO
Location LINCOLN CITY, OR Driver DERECK ELY Owner DERECK ELY
Boat 11 Hull Type RIVER WILD Engine CHEVROLET

The above #11 boat is the hull that Jesse LaForest has run as the Thunderbolt in FX the last couple of years.

I did not spend a lot of time looking but the records are on the APBA site
http://www.apba-racing.com/Records.php

I think all the Jet River Racer are in the 00900 range.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
UFJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary,
Those speeds seem low compared to the numbers I see posted here in discussions. Holding a kilo record has a lot of status for circle boat drivers here. Why don't you guys go after those records?
I've heard of "A" boats running in the mid to high "teens" and "U" class mid 120s. Or, is that beer talk?
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Records are from about 4 years ago. Last time anyone even ran for them and, as I understand, it was kind of "on a lark" situation. Done a little tongue in cheek and elbow in the ribs kind of a deal. Not a lot of interest that I know of. Most do not even know the records exist or that they can run for them... therefore not much prestige within the whitewater river racing community. More focused on National standings, World results and individual race results. Actually in Whitewater River Racing its quite prestigous to just FINISH. We don't race on lakes so it is kind of off the "radar" for us. Also by fall (like this years trials were) boats and motors are apart, hulls upside down and dreaming about next spring. Takes planning and a sense of importance and/or urgency to run for the records. "We" have not done either.

Speeds are basically legit. Have seen GPS and radar readouts that support the speeds. However those are snapshots, so to speak. We also tend to post the numbers we see going downstream (adds about 4 mph to a lake situation Very Happy ) That being said, until we run in the same situations and post the numbers that are nationally / internationally recognized, all we really have to show are times over course for average speeds on the course. And anyone can call "bullshit" Embarassed on our top speeds.

We should be more interested. Would gain some legitimacy and a higher profile within the general boat racing community. Most powerboaters do not even know we exist Shocked or the kind of performance potential inherent in an aluminum whitewater jetboat.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
UFJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthIdahoGary wrote:
We should be more interested. Would gain some legitimacy and a higher profile within the general boat racing community. Most powerboaters do not even know we exist Shocked or the kind of performance potential inherent in an aluminum whitewater jetboat.
Yes! I've seen you guys testing & racing, and the boats are impressive. That's why it would be interesting to see how the speeds compare under the controlled conditions of the kilo trials. The two way average speed, both directions over the course, cuts out the advantages of current, wind, etc. Other powerjetboaters should be paying attention because you guys are doing more innovation, particularly in hull design.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some figures for you guys.

2005 Peace River Gold Cup

A BOAT ( MISS DEE DEE ) Louis Roersma completed the following

5 lap circuit race, each lapp was 12.3 miles long. 61.5 miles in 33minutes and 7 sec. That's an average speed of 111.48 MPH on the river.

One way up river 55 mile leg in 29 minutes and 40 sec.
That's an average speed of 111.24 mph

One way down river 55 mile leg in 28 minute 29 sec.
That's an average speed of 115.79 mph

These figure are very accurate.

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in 2004 Pady Stratton completed the same up river leg in 28 minutes 35 seconds for an average speed of 115.74 mph

and the down river leg in 26 minutes and 56 seconds for an average speed of 122.68 mph.

That's cooking

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
UFJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Pady Stratton's time was the best ever for the course, it should be established as the record for the course and publicized as such. Same for other classes. Records, and the attempts to break them, add interest for fans and spectators.
I think that running your best boats at a sanctioned kilo trial would impress the boat racing fraternity. Can you hear the announcer, "Aluminum Jet Boat #240 has just posted a two way average speed of 119.21 mph!" "And with two people on board!"
My jet boating friends would be impressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: