OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SportJet motor evolution in the SJ race class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: SportJet motor evolution in the SJ race class Reply with quote

In the US we have no recognized class for SJ. We are going ahead with SJ as a provisional / demonstration class for the 2006 season.

Have some interest, but don't know how to address the motor issue. With 240's no longer available where should we go so as to allow the 240's to keep running and encourage new blood / interest without being able to obtain the motor that the UIM rules say is the only "ONE" allowed??

The 200 Optimax is the same displacement but down 40HP and up 30 pounds. The 250 Optimax is up 540 cc and 10 HP BUT it also weighs 93 pounds more. Interestingly enough, the 240SJ (stock) is actually over the UIM's allowed displacement of 2500 (from pg 264 of the UIM rule set "For "SP sport Class" the only engines allowed to race are two stroke engines up to 2500cc and they can not be modified.". Then it later states that you can overbore .020" more for a total of 2537cc)

Some of the interest is from guys that are boat builders that want to build and rig their own boats.

What exactly are the restrictions for the nozzle?? UIM reads "NO modification in the Nozzle and Rudder design, they should be kept as supplied by the manufacturer. The use of separators and/or wedges to modify the angle of the water output are allowed." It also would seem that the SJ's that Eagle is producing kind of fly in the face of the no mods to factory nozzle unless the "manufacturer" includes whomever puts the whole boat together. Being able to work with the nozzle seems like a place where some gains could be made and allowed. Also no other impeller but the one and only from Merc seems kind of restrictive.

As we move forward with a rule set I need MORE INPUT and thoughts. PLEASE. How to accomodate the new guys without precluding the existing and how to move forward. Where is SJ going?? Where should it go??

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Alumaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: SportJet motor evolution in the SJ race class Reply with quote

Excellent questions. This will be my first year at racing and have chosen the Sport jet class to learn the ropes on. I don't know the history of how the SP2500 class got established in UIM but like SBFX, to be an affordable entry class it has to have some limiting original manufacturer requirements.
The winters are long and the rivers froze over, so spending time in the shop tinkering with motors or pumps (so far) is also a fun part of this sport.
There is likely enough new motors in existence to build boats for a few more years, but the writing is on the wall "the SP class in the current UIM format will die out". If Mercury comes out with a 4 stroke supercharged version of the Verado in a Sport jet then that would be nice to run. But then does the UIM and the National bodies end up continually changing classes to keep up with the manufactures?

My vote would be to have the Sport jet rules similar to those for FX. Run a stock Mercury package, no touching the motor, but allow pump and nozzle work, provided that the original Mercury castings are used. There is likely very few units out there which have not had the impeller rebuilt or a stainless wear ring added, in the UIM rules this is not allowed.

Sorry if Ive ranted on, its that newbie thing.
WILSON

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I participated actively in the writing of the UIM text, although I don't take credit for the typing / spelling/ or grammar mistakes.

1.- The idea is to keep the engine exactly as it comes from the factory for racing.

However, when running two-cycle engines, piston failure produced mainly by using poor fuel or bad oil mixture is not that uncommon. Considering that a new powerhead is about $8500, overboring should be allowed in the event someone has to repair the engine. 0.020" overbore is allowed as this is the bigger oversize piston available from Mercury. (At the time, only Mercury was making a line production jet drive)

So, yes, overboring is a modification. But as long as you don´t mess with the valves and exhaust system, and you re-assemble the engine from parts available from the same manufacturer, and which you can get at any dealer, you are OK.

2.- The Jet Unit rules ARE restrictive. The idea is, yes, to use ONLY impellers available from the jet drive manufacturers. We did not want any blueprinted or made to order impellers, or have any racers with an advantage for using special pump parts (i.e.: "best kept secrets" as precision jet drive impellers)

So, the spirit of the rule is to keep the pump exactly as it comes from the factory.

We DID allow the use of wedges and separators. Why? Because they're CHEAP and anybody can make their own at low cost.

The single most important thing that has to be covered in your rules has to be the gear ratio in the jet drive. A single tooth could provide advantage for a racer. Gear ratio can be easily checked without removing any parts (only spark plugs) at a tech inspection.

I agree that there IS an issue related to Mercury discontinuing production of the 2400 cc Jet Drive.

My opinion is that The 250 Optimax will be the way to go.

I believe 250 optimax should be allowed to race in the class. After one or two races, we will see what the performance differences really are and could provide a way to compensate, the easiest being a fixed weight ballast that users of a certain engine would have to carry on board.

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson-
Thanks a lot for the insight into the original spirit. That helps. I'm still a little foggy on the impeller/wear ring/nozzle though. It seems like the SJ's currently available commercialy come with SS wear rings and I thought I recall something about a different nozzle/steering setup on the 16' Sports. Can anybody shed some light on that Question

I did notice in the UIM rules where it talked about no changes to the transmission. Seems wise. However the 240SJ and the 200 Opti list 1.25:1 and the Opti 250 is a 1.15:1. AAhhh now I realize how they are using the lower RPM's with the 250 Opti and being able to have an advantage over the 200 Opti with the same impeller. At max engine rpm (6000) the 240SJ turns the impeller at 4800 while the 250 Opti can turn it at 4900 at it's 5650 max rpm. But the 250 Opti is almost 100 pounds heavier.

Any thoughts about how much advantage approximately the extra 100 rpm's might make, especially in light of the 100# more??

Some of you folks that run the 240SJ's have a feel for how much "faster" 100 rpm's is at the top??

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
WILSON

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have raced Sport Jet class, and can tell that 100 rpm's can account for a couple of Miles. (seteris paribus, or everything else remaining the same)

With the 240 SJ, 100 pounds will reduce your top speed. My estimate is around 3 miles.

Now, I really don´t see where is that much weight difference. Yes, the 3000 cc block is bigger and heavier, but 100 pounds???? I believe the extra weight must be in the accessories. I never checked out the listed weight on the Optimax 250. It surprises me it's that heavy.

A little bit further on that foggy impeller/wear ring/nozzle:

The idea to keep these parts STOCK was originally to reduce the advantages for more "experienced" racers. Since this is considered an ENTRY class, the "newbie" should be as competitive.

The knowledge of special wear rings or impellers is acquired by experience.

When you are new to the sport, you don´t know that this particular machine shop in Arkansas or Ann Arbor makes that great stainless balanced ultra sharp impeller that works great and costs $1,500. What you know is that Mercury makes the jet drive, and the first place to go shopping for parts will be the Mercury dealer. And why should you go there in the first place? Because something failed and has to be fixed.

Also, we believed that the newcomer should spend more time driving the boat and honing his/her driving and navigating skills, rather than figuring out which expensive parts make a difference.

We left the spacers and wedges open because they work great, give you an extra 3 miles, and are pretty cheap. Also, because at that time, all the new Eagle Sport Jets came with one (And at that time every SJ class racing boat was made by Eagle).

I still believe that only Mercury impellers and wear rings should be legal for this class. However, the ruling has to go accordingly to the people that will race and make the class. If most of your expected SJ boats have special wear rings or impellers, then they should be allowed to race, by all means.

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your input Wilson! Lots of things to consider. The AWJA is meeting this Saturday and some of these ideas/limitations need to be hashed out. By early next week I hope to have the ruleset we will use in the US series for 2006 finalized.

As per the specs on the Mercury website

Optimax 250 weight (lbs/kg) 434/197 (engine and pump)
240 EFI weight(lbs/kg) 341/155 (engine and pump)

93 pounds/42kg difference

Last edited by SouthIdahoGary on Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proposed AWJA Sport Jet Rule set: (This is my starting point)

For “SJ” Sport Jet Class the only engines allowed in this class are two stroke engines and they can not be modified. The motor/pump shall be a commercially available package unit.

Hull:
-Any shape and material, the MINIMUM length shall be 13 feet.
Machinery:
-The engine must be a standard production line unit. The engine must be of two stroke design, V cylinder configuration, 6 cylinder, with a maximum of 250 HP as stated by the manufacturer in their published literature.

Engine limitations:
- Maximum oversize piston diameter allowed for overhauled engines is 0.020”
- No modifications in the cylinder block assembly; porting; reed block; cylinder head assembly; crankshaft; pistons; and/or connecting rods are allowed; All the engine replacement parts or parts contained therein must be standard production “off the shelf line items” as manufactured and distributed by the original manufacturer.
- The whole exhaust system shall be the “standard” as included in the manufacturer´s catalog, no modifications are allowed.
- All boats must have a muffler assembly in the exhaust system.
-Ignition/computer control to be standard. No reprogramming or alteration except within allowed factory tuning specifications.

Propulsion:
- The Jet Drive must be a “Standard Production Line” unit.
- No modifications in the transmission or in the housing of the jet pump are allowed. The gear ratio must be the original factory specification for the unit.
- All the Jet Drive replacement parts or parts contained therein must be standard production “off the shelf line items” as manufactured and distributed by the original manufacturer. Only exceptions allowed are fasteners and the following:
-Impeller-???????
-Nozzle-??????
-Wear Ring-any composition and/or design allowed.
-The use of separators and/or wedges to modify the angle of the water output are allowed.
-The reverse system is NOT MANDATORY.

Comments? Suggestions? Input?

WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. This could even be a good revision of the current UIM text.
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking with the folks at the AWJA meeting 01/21/06, it was determined that we can't officially have a rule set for an unofficial class, but we need some kind of guidelines. It has been proposed that the following rule set be used "unofficially" with the hope that it can be solidified and codified for 2007. As the 2006 year progresses and changes need to be made it can be a little more fluid that way. Some of the rules are universal and will apply to ALL participants, official or not. So here goes:

Sport Jet Class (SJ) Addendum
Class designed as an entry level class with propulsion being the same type and power level.
For “SJ” Sport Jet Class the only engines allowed in this class are two stroke engines and they can not be modified. The motor/pump shall be a commercially available package unit. The boat / entry / crew must conform to all AWJA safety and operational rules i.e. roll bar, seat belts, life jackets, helmets, see also EQUIPMENT sections in AWJA and APBA Rule 7.
Numbering: All boats shall be numbered according to the following numbering scheme:
Class to have numbers consisting of SJ01-SJ50. It is required that each boat in this class include its class designation –SJ- as part of its displayed number.
Hull:
-Rigid, any shape and material, NO glass windscreen, the MINIMUM length shall be 13 feet.
Machinery:
-The engine must be a standard production line unit. The engine must be of two stroke design, V cylinder configuration, 6 cylinder, with a maximum of 250 HP as stated by the manufacturer in their published literature.
Engine limitations:
-Single engine only
-Gasoline for fuel ONLY. No power enhancing additives.
-Factory oil injection to remain operational, 2 stroke oil only, no power enhancing additives.
- Maximum oversize piston diameter allowed for overhauled engines is 0.020”.
- No modifications in the cylinder block assembly; porting; reed block; cylinder head assembly; crankshaft; pistons; and/or connecting rods are allowed; All the engine replacement parts or parts contained therein must be standard production “off the shelf line items” as manufactured and distributed by the original manufacturer.
- The whole exhaust system shall be “standard” as delineated / included in the manufacturer’s catalog, no modifications allowed.
-Ignition/computer control to be standard. No reprogramming or alteration except within allowed factory tuning specifications.
Propulsion:
- The Jet Drive must be the standard production line unit for the package.
- No modifications in the transmission or in the housing of the jet pump are allowed. The gear ratio must be the original factory specification for the unit.
- All the Jet Drive replacement parts or parts contained therein must be standard production “off the shelf line items” as manufactured and distributed by the original manufacturer. Only exceptions allowed are fasteners and the following:
-Impeller-Any
-Nozzle-Any
-The use of separators and/or wedges to modify the angle of the water output are allowed.

It seemed to be the consensus from some of those currently running SJ's that there were already some/lots of folks running different impellers (3 blade was mentioned several times) and wear rings. Nozzles did not seem sacred either so "we" decided to go with any wear ring, impeller and nozzle mods that you wish. Some whispering behind hands that if a tech inspect was ever done that some/many/most SJ's would be found outside of the current UIM guidelines as regards wear ring, impeller and nozzle. Truth or perception? I do not know. But I do know that perception gains a life of its own and becomes the "new" truth unless it is laid to rest with fact. Even then, perception abounds....now I'm wandering Embarassed

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking with the folks at the AWJA meeting 01/21/06, it was determined that we can't officially have a rule set for an unofficial class, but we need some kind of guidelines. It has been proposed that the following rule set be used "unofficially" with the hope that it can be solidified and codified for 2007. As the 2006 year progresses and changes need to be made it can be a little more fluid that way. Some of the rules are universal and will apply to ALL participants, official or not. So here goes:

Sport Jet Class (SJ) Addendum
Class designed as an entry level class with propulsion being the same type and power level.
For “SJ” Sport Jet Class the only engines allowed in this class are two stroke engines and they can not be modified. The motor/pump shall be a commercially available package unit. The boat / entry / crew must conform to all AWJA safety and operational rules i.e. roll bar, seat belts, life jackets, helmets, see also EQUIPMENT sections in AWJA and APBA Rule 7.
Numbering: All boats shall be numbered according to the following numbering scheme:
Class to have numbers consisting of SJ01-SJ50. It is required that each boat in this class include its class designation –SJ- as part of its displayed number.
Hull:
-Rigid, any shape and material, NO glass windscreen, the MINIMUM length shall be 13 feet.
Machinery:
Engine limitations:
-Single engine only
-Gasoline for fuel ONLY. No power enhancing additives.
-Factory oil injection to remain operational, 2 stroke oil only, no power enhancing additives.
- Maximum oversize piston diameter allowed for overhauled engines is 0.020”.
- The whole exhaust system shall be “standard” as delineated / included in the manufacturer’s catalog, no modifications allowed.
Propulsion:
- The Jet Drive must be the standard production line unit for the package.
-Impeller-Any
-Nozzle-Any

It seemed to be the consensus from some of those currently running SJ's that there were already some/lots of folks running different impellers (3 blade was mentioned several times) and wear rings. Nozzles did not seem sacred either so "we" decided to go with any wear ring, impeller and nozzle mods that you wish. Some whispering behind hands that if a tech inspect was ever done that some/many/most SJ's would be found outside of the current UIM guidelines as regards wear ring, impeller and nozzle. Truth or perception? I do not know. But I do know that perception gains a life of its own and becomes the "new" truth unless it is laid to rest with fact. Even then, perception abounds....now I'm wandering Embarassed

Alumaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson, would the "any impeller / nozzle / wear ring" pass tech in the Mexico '06 worlds ?
WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

As the UIM ruling applies in the Worlds, you would have to bring a Mercury made impeller, wear ring and nozzle to be legal. (If you have a Mercury Jet drive)

I suggest you get them for the worlds.

I will, however, mention the request for exceptions in this field to the organizers, which can be made as long as it is announced in the Advance Program, which is the official invitation for the event.

Although this is not very likely, as all of the Mexican Sport Jet boats have standard parts in the jet unit and will oppose the exception.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: