OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2004 sportjet 240efi, what oil??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIGGINSWEATINSWEARIN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: 2004 sportjet 240efi, what oil?? Reply with quote

I bought my first sportjet and I was wondering which injector oil I should be running in it. I would like to be able to buy it at Crappy tire but if the Merc oil is what I need to run I can track that down too. There seems to be alot of conflicting opinions out there about what these things need to run.
thanks.
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always ran the merc premium 2 stroke oil and can not complain except for the price.
Until I got my SJ(240 as well) i ran castrol outboard oil in my Merc OBJ without any issues. After getting the SJ i switched to merc oil and run in both. I just figured runnin WO for long stretches with the 240 use the best oil you can get and if you know you going to burn lots in a summer..buy in cases. This fall I bought two cases of 4L jugs for 35% off so Im set for next summer with 32L of oil!

Oil will be a never ending debate...just like chain saw oil...what would you use..I use optimol at 100:1...in my 600 race sled a I ran amsoil dominator at 50:1

shallow draft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Esso semi-synthetic. Not the cheapest but it is a better than average oil at about $80.00 a case
DIGGINSWEATINSWEARIN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, now the next question, the big reservoir at the back of the boat is almost full. The problem is that im not sure what its full of, all I know is that I was told it was synthetic and that its blue in color. Im not 100% convinced its full synthetic and I dont want to mix a full synthetic with a non, or do you think it matters?
shallow draft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esso semi synthetic is blue.
jimigermanson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also run Esso semi synthetic. I have run it since new and have 200 hours without incident.....well lot's of incidents, just not motor related incidents. Smile
hardhitter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amsoil has some full synthetic that I use and seems to work just fine. Its also a lot cheaper that the merc product.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semi synthetic oil is probably the better oil in this application, it will absorb and mix with any condensation or moisure in the system and pass it through without any problems, fully synthetic oil will not mix or absorb, so you may end up with pockets of staight moisture that may do some damage as it passes through, all within reason of course

semi syntetic is basically a mix of basestock oil and synthetic oil, so unless you have to use synthetic mixing of the two should not cause any problems
mike.elmes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Amsoil full synthetic injector 2 cycle oil which exceeds the merc spec.
It is a blue color. The main reason I also prefer the amsoil synthetic and probably any synthetic, is it smokes less and smells way better than the merc oil. I have the 240 SJ as well.
rokchucker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im with jimi.ran 2 tanks full of the merc oil when I first got my boat,but been runnin the quicksilver semi and esso semi ever since .never had any probs in 180 hrs.as for mixing full synth and semi in the tank,I dont believe this will cause any trouble as ive done it before,never even noticed any diff,much less any problems.just my 2 bits worth.
blen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

There's a engine builder from Texas ( Jay Smith ) who frequents the Scream and Fly website and is known as a 2.5 liter guru. He recommends Penzoil and feels that full synthetic should not be used in the steel bore engines which our Sportjets are. I haven't found it in Canada but it can be had at Wally World in the States. I bought 15 jugs back in May for 13.00 a US Gallon. If interested search oil on the Scream and Fly website. There is lots of debate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: