OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 525 hp EFI motor from GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Alumaman and Gary as not seeing the rational behind being carb only??? The #1 failure for CT525's is piston failure from detonation when guys use poor quality fuel, run too lean or advance their timing too far to try and get an advantage over their competitors. The new EFI engine eliminates all these issues. The EFI engine has detonation sensors, Oxygen sensors, and the timing is preset. Also, the ignition control box required to run the CT525 is of very poor quality and has about a 3% failure rate where the stock GM ignition is a Delphi MEFI plug and play unit that are in millions of GM vehicles and I've never heard of a failure.

Also, we won't know for sure until someone either tests or dynos the EFI engine, but I bet it will produce the same horespower at about 300-400 lower rpm than the CT motor, however the CT motor will produce more peak HP. So, "theoretically" the EFI engine may last longer.

Also, the availability of the CT and EFI engines are the same for our friends in NZ and Mexico.

I spoke to a company yesterday that can take the stock GM EFI computers for about $200 CDN and lock them out so no one can screw with them, again leveling the playing field and making the engines more reliable. These computers would be marked and tracked by the respective race committes.

I think that we should also ask ourselves when making these decisions;
- Will this change make the class more fair, even, competitive and cost effective for the competitors?
- Will this change take the advantage away from the competitors that have larger budgets and reward the teams that focus on improving their driving and hull tuning skills?
- As there is no way to prevent a determined Cheater from cheating, it is our obligation to make it as difficult as reasonably possible for them to do so, yet practical to manage for the tech inspectors. We just need to make rules that will keep the honest racers from temptation.

In saying all this, making the sealed CT motor the only GM motor allowed would make the Tech inspectors job easier. As much as some people and engine builders say it is easy to cheat with counterfit seals on motors, GM has made it very difficult as each seal on the CT motor has a hidden code imbedded on it that can be read and monitored easily.

Quote:
GM has started using Info Glyph Encription technology, a laser etched priority tracker, that is serial number matched. The Info Glyph Encription on the bolt cap can be tracked right back to the time that engine was built by GM (Date, Day & Time).

Wazza

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EFI motor would have a lot of advantages in New Zealand rivers where on and off the gas more often and throwing the boat around more.

My view the debate is not about what is better as GM will continue to bring out variants. As long as everyone running the same then best thing for the class and sport. Also about time. Give CX the chance to bed in as it is.... seems to be going bloody well as it is and about 6 boats here in NZ.

If going to change then great but give a date in the future so people can plan and everyone changes together. Say 2013?

Quite right about Nascar running EFI but they have resisted changing for a long time and still run cast iron blocks all in the name of close racing and ensuring it not all about the $... I bet they also gave a few years notice of the change and not jumping in when something better comes on the market. Why is so successful.

BTW the carby motor would have a lot better secondary value for those wanting a carby motor in their hot rod!
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

-We have been instructed by a ranking UIM official to include the following (his wording quoted, my highlighting) in the Advance Program for the 2012 World USA Race:

Quote:
For 2012, the approved UIM Racing Classes we will be the following:

FX Up to 5740 cc (carburated engines only, not exceeding 750 CFM)
CX Up to 6424 cc (carburated engines only, any type)
A from 5101 to 7700 cc
Unlimited Above 7701 cc (jet turbines included in this class)
Overall Any of the above

NOTE that B Class has been included in "A" and will not be run as a separate class. The only "local" class we have allowed for is FX-V

Included in his e-mail is the following:

Quote:
The other Rule change which I think it are worth mentioning in the Advance Program are:

-In order to content for the UIM awards and/or throphies, and price money, the winner of each racing class must have completed at least 75% of the total race legs and mus have had to run at least 75% of the total distance of the total race legs. For the Overall awards and price money they must have completed 100% of the distance and race legs.

-The boat drivers for the A and UNLIMITED Racing Classes must have a Certified and/or Appostielled letter form their National Race Boat Federation, indicating that they have the racing experience, capabilities and medical condition to race in these classes. This letter will have to be attached to the entry form and/or shown at the technical inspection

-It must be indicated in the Advance Program, if the use of the GPS will be allowed during the race or not.

-The maximun noise level allowed for 2012 will be 120 decibls (DC), if there is a local restriction and a maximum noise lebel restriction, then you will have to specify the maximim noise level allowed. Jet turbine boats are not required to have noise reduction mufflers

BTW-GPS will be allowed 5" diagonal maximum and mufflers required. the 120 decibels will be the maximum (no local restrictions for any less)

Note: this posting is not a substitute or intended to take the place of the Advance Program, which will be forthcoming soon.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the rules for both CX and FX are going to be clarified with engine specific part numbers. It also bewilders me why non sealed motors have been allowed in both classes, hopefully this will change soon as this just opens the door WFO for guys with larger race budgets to get their engines tweaked by an engine builder, increasing the engine cost by thousands$$ and making it more difficult for the average racer to be competitive unless they do the same, which contradicts the escence of these classes as all the boats in each class being equally powered and winners are the team who worked the hardest and smartest, not the team with the biggest budget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: