OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FX class rules specific to the ZZ4
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will R

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget spencer ran a ford cx motor in raven mad and was very competitive!
RPM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't look at how the UIM worded the current engine rule , but the last Canadian rules I looked at were pretty clear. while no specfic weights ,volumes or clearances were specified , they did state that everything must remain as the general built it . no overbore , no lightening or balancing , no port grinding, matching etc. stock only rebuild parts and gksts . so no cam phasing , no tightening up on the .075" quench clearance . stock only ring and valve job rebuild . bout the only thing i think you could do within the rules would be to reduce the combustion chamber volume cause you needed to surface the heads , so maybe there should be a specified min. chamber volume . I would expect an official inspector would know the stock port volume and width at the pushrod and the intake cam lobe c/l , couple of things that come to mind that really wake these zz4's up that could be checked with only removing the in. man. . Only thing i every seen checked was valve springs . I understand why there isn't a lot of time for this at the races and there isn't big bucks at stake , but i have never seen any form of racing where someone doesn't cheat . Have i missed anything ?
HaxbySpeed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RPM, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Some detailed specs would be great. The ICL would be a bit tough 'cause they can be out by 5 degrees on these things, you'd proabably need a safe range, and you'd wanna check lobe sep too. It's seems like the general consensus is everyone wants the engines to be 100% untouched. Is it possible to make a rule that clearly states "absolutely zero modifications are permitted"?
RPM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats my understanding of the Canadian rules , stock parts with no mods. other than oil pan and ign. but as you say with production allowances it would be possible for a shop goin through a lot of these engines to assemble a legal engine with parts that were of optimum tolerances like say heads with better flowing ports and a retarded cam or timing set .
boosted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will R wrote:
dont forget spencer ran a ford cx motor in raven mad and was very competitive!

That's right Will although I don't know if that boat was real fast or that Spencer can friggin drive that made it competitive. Laughing

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Tech Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ZZ4 crate engine from GM is a ZZ4 crate engine from GM. A person can try and tweak it here and there but it's not hard to find what was "tweaked". Change a camshaft, I'll check the duration, lift height, spring tension etc. Port and polish, I'll see it on the bore scope(easily). Stroke or bore it, I'll see that on the compression test and if that doesn't seem right I'll measure the stroke through the spark plug hole and check the numbers on the pistons with the bore scope. If it's been "tweaked" with chances are you'll get caught and somebody just might get your engine for $500 no questions and nothing you could do about it.

The FX class was made so it's up to the guys on the race team to get that hull as fast as possible. As far as pump and hull mods go.....giver shit! Basically do what you want with those two items but leave the engine as a crate ZZ4.

At the end of a weekend race or marathon, if your boat is out in front by a long ways on the time sheets with no obvious reasons, somebody will be looking at the engine REALLY close.

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try and address this now with a little more information gained.

The UIM rules as written and posted in the rulebook are quite specific as to what you “can do”-I got to sit down with and after talking to 2 UIM commissioners and the chair of the UIM River Racing division, they were appalled, amazed and stunned that there was any question as to what “could be done” or why anyone would think something could be done.

The quick and easy explanation-NOTHING. The UIM rules state “Crate” and “stock” many times: The UIM guys are very much about SPIRIT and INTENT if something is not specifically addressed. The spirit and intent is CRATE motor-not blueprinted or optimized-but as manufactured and put in the crate. This means you take it out of the crate and run it as the manufacturer built it . You may change the sheet metal, balancer and ignition and can use whatever <750 cfm carb you wish to use but the long block and intake is as manufactured. No machining / modifying to anything or any part is to be done.

If you damage it, you rebuild and sell it to someone for a car or a pleasure boat. In your race boat you get another crate motor OR a ZZ4 short or long block (GM has both) if you have a catastrophic failure. You could change bearings, but you replace them with GM bearings. If your crank needs turned down, too bad. Get another GM one. Damage a bore and resleeve back to standard?-NO-you actually had to overbore the block to do so-no overbore is allowed. Damage a piston and rings-it can be replaced-stock GM parts and stock sizes. Then back together with GM head gaskets.

And if you get caught it is not just “somebody gets your engine for $500”

Here is the UIM stand from the 2012 rulebook:

Rule 406.03 - UNNACEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR
In order to protect the interests of the sporting community, the following actions may also be penalised by the O.O.D., by the UIM Executive Committee or by the NA of the Licence Holder.
•-any deliberate act taken to gain unfair advantage.
• any false act made or statement given with the intention of suppressing
facts required for the proper conduct of the race.
• any attempt to bribe or the taking of a bribe.
• any abusive or unsportsmanlike behaviour.

River Marathon Racing Rule 900.12-FINISHING RULES

7. If during the technical inspection of the FX and / or CX Classes engine (tear down), the Chief Inspector determines that the motor is out of the specifications, the race boat and driver will be disqualified from the race and banned from any UIM sanctioned event for the following 12 months. The Organizing Committee and the UIM Commissioner will have to report in writing the findings to UIM, who will issue a sanctioning letter addressed to the driver’s National Authority for the application of the sanction in the country as well.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: