OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Sportjrt noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIGGINSWEATINSWEARIN

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Weird Sportjrt noise Reply with quote

I have a boat with a 240 SJ in it, its the only SJ that I have ever been around close enough to hear clearly. My question is regarding a high pitched noise it makes from about 3500 to 4000 rpm. Now I realize that SJ's are loud but in this narrow window of rpm it makes and ear bleeding howl, below 3500 its fine and above 4000 it sounds like every SJ i have heard in any posted video. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue?
thanks, Darren
shallow draft

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The are loud in stock form but the noise can be improved. Insulate the motor compartment for a start. The other success I had is to put a piece of rubber on the swim grid. This seemed to help a lot by absorbing some of the vibrations that translates to noise. I also opened up the brass water inlets to the exhaust to get more water in the exhaust system to also absorb the noise. I have reduced the noise to a level that is tolerable. It is still not as quiet as a 4 stroke but I can live with it now.
DIGGINSWEATINSWEARIN

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks S.D. i wouldnt really be concerned if it was just loud all the time but it is just in a certain rpm range. I dont know maybe it is just a resonence (sp?) and there is no problem at all but when ever anyone hears that sound for the first time they look at me with very wide eyes, as if to say "what the hell was that?" Confused
shallowman

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

Here is something that also can make a ton of noise ,
underneath the boat at the intake there is a piece of Aluim. which most people call a horse shoe it goes around the outside of the intake grate have a close look at it and make sure it is not making contact with the boat ( bottom )it must be be touching or you will get loud harmonics it is part of the pump assm. not the bottom of the boat
if it is touching just unscrew the bolts remove and grind back a 1/4 of a inche or until not touching the hull ,
you will be amazed at the noise that makes

let'er buck

Twisted Evil
sneddonrider

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 05 bobcat with a 240 sport jet makes a high pitch electronic sound at certain rpm I was wondering if it was normal as well. I read that the 600 e tech sleds have voice coil injectors that make a high pitch sound and I think that the mercury two stroke motors are where skidoo got that technology.
mxracer68

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal as far as I know. I had a 250 opti, same thing. I don't recall the RPM range, but there was a certain pitch that sounded similar to what you are explaining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: