OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

graphite paint for bottom of boat?????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touchin Bottom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: graphite paint for bottom of boat????? Reply with quote

I am looking into options on coating the bottom of my boat. It already has some small dents and is not exactly straight anymore. UHMW would be hard to put on. I've heard that the next best thing is Graphite paint. I do know that a etching primer should be used to ensure a good bond. I don't know how much work would be involved or what the cost of this would be. It is something that I would want to do myself as a winter project. Can anyone shed some light on this or have had some expierience in doing this??

image001.jpg
 Description:
This is the boat
 Filesize:  54.87 KB
 Viewed:  37568 Time(s)

image001.jpg

ALEX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slip cote graphite does not require any primer...it bonds directlly to the metal.
Just wire brush and clean the bottom and roll it on.

Available at your friendly John Deere/Case farm dealer....
Touchin Bottom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Graphite bottom Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Alex, I heard that there was sanding, etching primer, several applications, more sanding, etc. If all I have to do is clean up the bottom a bit and roller it on I may do that this summer yet. You did say that it sticks to metal but you did mean aluminum right?
mof

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a permanent solution. Treat it as a sacrificial coating. It will help the boat slide over gravel bars. It will make the boat easier to push off gravel bars. It will wear off and require re-application.
ALEX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will bond to aluminum or steel .....all you need is clean and dry for prep

As noted it will wear off ....just send your kids underneath with a roller or brush to freshen it up....
BeerSalad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious.....
Has anyone applied the John Deere graphite SlipCote? How does it stand up and how much does is help for sliding?
Also, best way to apply it? Would i be able to keep the boat on the trailer and jack it around to apply in sections or would it have to come off the trailer and be lifted?

sandman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Deere slip coat works very well. You will notice the difference the next time you try to pull up onto a gravelly bank, it wont stick any more and will slide back in real easy. It is a must if you are prone to exploring skinny spots with only a few pushers on board!
You can put it on with a roller and it sticks quite well but it is an ablative coating, it will need to be re applied as you use it. If it is going over existing paint, scuff it up with some 120 grit first.
Wear sacrificial clothes or use the sacrificial kid to apply it, those stains dont come out!

Steelie73

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you put this stuff on remember to leave your winch cable hooked to your boat when you are backing up at the launch. I almost lost mine off the trailer with just a little incline.
coho dr.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the john deere slipcoat in aerosol spray cans. If you roll it on you need to sand it. My buddy lost 4-5 mph when he rolled it on, sanded it to get mph back up. Mind you it was a 25' boat
renslip

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call Les and Trudy at Wilderness Riverboat in Stoney Plain. I had them apply K5 poly-urea on the bottom of my boat and I am very impressed. It as much of the same characteristics of Teflon, but costs way less and only added 50lbs to my boat. And didn't have to drill a million holes in the bottom of it. You can go on their website and it gives you a bit of a run down on the product. http://www.wildernessriverboat.ca
coho dr.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renslip wrote:
call Les and Trudy at Wilderness Riverboat in Stoney Plain. I had them apply K5 poly-urea on the bottom of my boat and I am very impressed. It as much of the same characteristics of Teflon, but costs way less and only added 50lbs to my boat. And didn't have to drill a million holes in the bottom of it. You can go on their website and it gives you a bit of a run down on the product. http://www.wildernessriverboat.ca

I paid less than $20 to do my 21' boat , so the money I saved will go right to beer and fuel.

greg b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: bottom coatings Reply with quote

The K-5 polyurea Coating is manufactured by SPI ( Specialty Products Inc.)
in Lakewood Wa.
link to there website-
http://www.specialty-products.com/

Touchin Bottom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: slip cote Reply with quote

I've heard of stuff called "Slip Coat", and stuff called "E-Z Slide, I am having a hard time finding a dealer that carrys this stuff. I stopped at Martin Equipment in Edmonton and they had never heard of the stuff. Where else could a guy get it from. I checked Napa, Northern Metallic, and a few others, Any help with this would be great.
skimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in Grande Prairie we get it at Peace Farm Power, the local J D dealer. I'm told farmers use it on the floor and sides of graineries and bins. I used the spray cans, worked greta , just have to reapply when gone in spots.
triple ddd outlaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: grafite paint..... Reply with quote

Any chance there is a product #on the can?
Our dealer up here is mostly construction and thinks i am on drugs asking foir such an item.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: