OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

future of A class???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: future of A class??? Reply with quote

There was a lot of talk at the race this weekend about the future of A class. Some think that the LSX 454 should have a class build around it. Some think it is the next class to hit the chopping block. I how ever think we need to make changes to this class to bring back the guys that still have these boats and to allow a new home for the BBFX guys and the B class boats that have been pushed out.
What I’m proposing is we try, in Canada/USA for a 1-2 year trial. A new set of rules for A class. I’m not saying this is what it should be I’m just starting some conversation to try to save what I think is a great class that has turned into a high dollar class that most can’t afford to be in.
Keep the 470CID and under rules the same. I.e. allowing anything to be done to the naturally aspirated engine as long as it is under 470 CID. Up to 900HP can be built but 50 large goes away fast.
Allow up to 540cid but restrict the carb size to a max of 850 CFM. My thought here is to keep the cost of a 6-700 HP engine down to get more people stepping up. We may even see some Unlimited V8 boats downsizing to fit in.
Bore and stroke the ZZ502 for the BBFX guys.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/shortblock/1103chp_502_540_big_block_engine_comparison/viewall.html

540 crate motors -lots available for under $20K Or custom built for under $30 000

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/BluePrint-Engines-Pro-Series-Chevy-540-C-I-D-Dressed-Crate-Engines/

http://www.landlracingengines.com/540_CID_Engine_Flyer.pdf

LSX454- with any combination wanted. Still under the 470cid.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LSX454-Crate-Engine-19244611-P10783C556.aspx

I know that this doesn’t fit the current rule of a 1.8 multiplication factor but we could allow up to 385CID forced induction?? Still south of $30K. Maybe hard to make these little motors live??? Robby race one in the late 90's for 3 years

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/pricesheets/chevy/dailydriver/tt/dds_355_tt.pdf

http://www.southernperformancesystems.com/AirboatEngines/airboat-lsx-376-sc.html

Any diesel engine?? There has always been talk and no one has stepped up. $$ lots. But should hold up.

http://www.banksmarine.com/

The big thing we need to look at is a class that can have 105-120MPH boats in it and have 4+ boats showing up for every race. In order to get this we need to keep the cost down and keep the boats finishing. Allow the engine to be repaired if needed. This will almost become a run what you have class if done right. Showing up to and finishing is still the most important part of racing.

just my thoughts. lets hear yours.
Dale
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts Whitey. Its a big step from CX priced motors to A motors and from A motors to unlimited/turbine. Gotta keep the class alive for sure, some how.
NO BRAKES

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This almost sounds like taking a step towards separating all the remaining eligible piston boats from the turbine unlimiteds. These relaxed rules would give the guys a chance to test the waters with an Lsx as well to make sure the reliability is there for it's own class.
boosted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it will only take 1-2 yrs to have enough boats for lsx class. I know of two already that are making the switch. Of course as long as the engines hold together.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!

Last edited by boosted on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Hines

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly thats a long time boost. lol.
boosted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya holy.LoL I fixed it.

CENTERLINE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a great idea to try and save the A-class by combining a few of the other classes into it, while at the same time being able to watch the new LSX engines perform. These LSX engines may be the next best thing but let's allow as many A,B, and BBFX class boats to run in a compettitive class while the transition takes place. Boat count is extremely important to fans and Promoters/Sponsors.

Last edited by CENTERLINE on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
homeboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA is just plain lost!!
CENTERLINE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how lost we are here in the USA, but I believe most of us appreciate that Dale is trying to include as many racers as possible to compete.
Dale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are getting lots of veiws on this post but not many comments. There will be a UIM rules meeting held in the next couple of weeks. At the last 3 meeting I went to the UIM wants us to cut classes down to 3-4 tops, I don't want to see A class go i think it is the only real class left for anyone that wants to build a motor or run some real cool stuff. even a guy with a good strong 383 small bloch could go out and compete with the CX guys, maybe not with the Weavers or Statton, but could still race.

So lets get some input. Would anyone out there be interested in building a A class boat if the rules were changed a little. Or should this class die like B,C,and D class did a couple of years ago.

Dale
boosted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started about 5 replies but they all lost there point along the way. So in the words of Spock. " The needs of the many always outway the needs of the few or the one" . I think that there are to few racers to continue to support the custom made engine or larger 1950's technology with regard to jet boat racing. Crate engines have come such a long way in the last few years that it has become very difficult to outperform them from a cost/performance standpoint. As far as run what you brung, there is always unlimited. I for one have an idea that would give a turbine a run for its money but I'm to cheap to try it. If anyone has the $$ to want to try it I'll let them know what it is.

As much as I like the custom one off engines and all the things that can be done. It just doen't make sense anymore for them.

Just my .02

Hines

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not race boats,but follow it yearly when i can and learn lots,i think the the U,A,B,C,etc classes, should stay.U want to build an engine in a class fly at er thats part of racing,and yes it cost money if your racing, you will lie simple.Just my couple of words.Have a great day.Later.
will b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem we have right now also is there is no stepping stone to get to unlimited class. To go from 105 mph (cx class) to 135mph is to much of a gap we need a 120mph class so more people can make the jump to unlimited class if they desire. just my oppinion.
boosted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we type there is a new lsx454 crate class brewing. I am doing one for a guy and I know of at least one other with some more guys seriously interested. The big question is reliablity of the lsx454 620 hp and the speeds. We are guessig 110-116 mph zone. We also guessed 100 mph for the cx class and they are now banging on the 110 mph door. Crap our B boat only did 113 a few years ago.

Will R

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget about the all aluminum 600plus horse power 427 Ford crate engine for around the 13500 mark! Right in tune with the LSX as far as horse power and cost with the benefit of being a little lighter!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: