OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carb replacement EFI system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WILSON

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Carb replacement EFI system Reply with quote

They probably have been in the market for a while, but I only "discovered" them yesterday looking at the cover of the March Summit catalog.

Has anybody tried these for a boat??? It seems like a cool gadget:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-2900
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-70027

Of course, since acceleration is not that important in a boat as it is in a car, probably doesn't make much sense, except if there's an improvement in fuel consumption.

What do you think?

MSD-2900.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.64 KB
 Viewed:  8428 Time(s)

MSD-2900.jpg

MSD-2900_OH.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.19 KB

MSD-2900_OH.jpg

PFS-70027.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.98 KB

PFS-70027.jpg

Rivernut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they are cool for a street machine. Don't they have to be marine certified to put in a boat? They will work with dry headers not wet systems because of the oxygen sensors.

high pockets

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: FAST EZ-EFI Reply with quote

I'm running a FAST EZ EFI set up on my boat that is essentially the same deal as the MSD product your looking at in that it relies on an O2 sensor to self tune. The comment that they don't work well in a marine application with wet exhausts is not exactly true. My headers are water cooled and so far the EFI has worked flawlessly though I built the exhaust myself to accommodate the O2 sensor. Now days you can order wet exhaust with the req'd bung already installed for a bit more coin. My application was an Olds 455 though so I didn't have a lot of choices for headers. I will also say I wasn't too impressed by FAST. They sent me a screwed ECU in the original kit and kept insisting the problem was my wiring. When they finally agreed the ECU needed to be checked out (guess what ... Faulty ECU) they took about 6 weeks to get me a new one and even charged me over $100 in shipping charges for the experience of receiving something delivered by carrier pigeon. Unless you work for Hot Rod magazine or your name is Chip Foose I'd steer clear of FAST just because of their customer service. That said the EFI experience was a snap after I got past the ECU thing.
boosted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue with running o2 sensors in a marine application is that it doesn't see the water cooling the exhaust and keeping the sensor hot enough. Most have heaters in them but cannot keep up to the cooling water.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: