OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PEACE RIVER RACE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viking502

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty clear !!!!

Wazza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fxhero wrote:
It's good to hear the standard has been set. Machine shop here I come!

Its for this reason the New Zealand RRA took the initiative and firmed up the rules for racing here.

http://www.nzjbrra.co.nz/images/stories/Memo_re_FX_and_CX_rules.pdf

The intention of the UIM rules was to let people save money by repairing an engine. As this boat has done. The only problem is this opens up a can of worms and before you know it many motors have been pre-emptively rebuilt and tidied up... and making more power on the dyno. Legal but arguably not in the spirit of the rules- therefore rules changed here and if you really really really want to rebuild/refresh a motor you can (or if time will not allow for a new one to be sent to NZ) but most people will get their calculator out and realise it does not stack up.

The worse thing that could happen is for these classes to implode and you're back buying $30k motors to compete in CC classes.... no one racing wins.

Good luck sorting it out over there. I also think there should be more mandatory inspections of motors rather than letting the racers protest. Yes it costs money for the organisers and/or racers but its a shit load cheaper than going back to old ways. It will also give these classes a lot more credibility which is what they need to continue to grow and battle over that extra MPH!!

Regards
CX278
Viking502

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: This is Fukn wicked Reply with quote

Sooo....
It looks to me that a guy can go start doing some machining to block / heads, maybe put some more reliable parts and pieces in er !!!!
What the hell... As long as it doesnt make any more power, its all good ??!!??!!
RULES are RULES. They are not supposed to be "left open for debate".
A whole new can of worms has been opend up now!!!!
Might just as well throw out the rules. Nobody can cheat anymore.
Try this shit in CASCAR.... See what happens!!!!

Itsworthit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen up guys, before everyone starts going out and machining heads and changing gaskets, I will give you my 2 cents, has anyone ever checked into the machining tolerances from the manufacturer, you are talking .005" on a head and .004" on the gasket, every manufacuturer has machining tolerances, for those who don't know what I am talking about, I'll explain, say for instance the deck height on these engines is 6.250" and GMC gives their Tier 1 suppliers a tolerance of +/- .0025", this would mean that any given engine supplied to GMC or made by GMC would have a head deck height of 6.2475" to 6.2525", so the difference between any given heads could be .005", and still be acceptable, (I do not know what the tolerance is from GMC and am not in any way saying that it is .0025", it is only an example), the same goes for the manufacturer of the gaskets, different manufacturers have different tolerances, fel-pro may have different tolerances than GMC
If anyone thinks that you can get, from a manufacturer, a million heads all exactly the same thickness, I mean down to one ten thousandth of an inch, as they are being measured here, maybe they should try to make 2 pieces of something to that tolerance. The heat from your hand can make something grow .0003"
Also I am curious to see how the heads were measured, let me explain, (and this in no way is knocking the person who measured them), factory heads should be simultaneously machined, so this would mean that they should be parrallel to a reference area, probably withing .0001"/.0002", this is something hard to measure, unless you do it every day, and say for instance if I took my head to a machine shop to get it shaved, they would set it up with a dial indicator using the to be cut surface as a reference, to set this up within .0002" all round the perifery, is very difficult, (not impossible) buy very time consuming and highly unlikely, so if it gets machined not set up within that .0002", the head will not be parallel anymore, also, most milling machines cannot achieve this accuracy anyways, and the head should be surafce ground, so unless you are extremly confident in your machinist you probablywill be shooting yourself in the foot.
Did anyone compare the machining marks to the OEM? There also will be standards from the OEM on these, milled or ground? Compare feed rates?
If he took the time, and I say IF, to get someone to machine .005 off the heads, I would assume he would have measured the gasket and would not have put in a .004 thicker one, just doesnt make sense

And for those not familliar with how thick .002" is, most loose leaf paper is around .0015" to .002" thick, so .0002" is approx 1/10th the thickness of a piece of paper, just saying
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Thou was taken off one side of the block and a new stock ZZ4 head was purchased. If 40 thou was taken off both sides, then I could see a problem.
RPM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with a lot of what Karey is saying , 4 or 5 thou is fock all for making any increases in hp but probably pushing the limits of the tolerance in production . from what has been reported here sounds like a honest attempt to repair the ZZ4 in stock condition was made . would of thought the fel-pro gskt. would of been .045 and the original .050 but even if the chamber was tightened up 9 or 10 thou on one side not going to make big increase in hp....my thoughts are the class should be "stock appearing" cause pulling motors down for inspection is just a waste of time that could be spent bsing over a beer . it's legal if it looks like a zz4 , has a 750 carb (should be 650) , has flat tops , pumps 45"max on any cyl. when cold and has original zz4 valve springs . for uim worlds events sealed ct 355 only .
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been edjumacted a bit more about the situation, the thicker gasket was used on purpose to make up the .004" taken off the block to true it up, so there would be no increase in compression
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/I2gWUzG9ADs

204 Miss Ede.....UNFUCKINBELIVABLE!
4mcntrls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was saving my comments for future discussion, but I will throw something in for the controversy:

If we go back to the 2011 inspection:
The cylinder head was CRACKED. The cost of repairing was around $4000. (Did I get this right????)

It makes absolutely no sense for me to spend $4000 on salvaging a failing engine when you can get a brand new one for less than $5000.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Performance/809/24502609/10002/-1

Of course it does makes sense if you have somehow worked on this engine to enhance performance, as discussed above.

One fine example of "Offer an inch, and a mile will be taken"

I believe that the rule should indicate that if an engine is damaged enough to require a NON GM part (like a Fel-pro gasket) it should be considered illegal for a crate class. So you will spend $5000 instead of $4000 for racing again. Too bad.

I'm sure Brian made the correct call in declaring the engine legal under current CBF rules, but I definitely think we need to push for more strict rules for UIM events, and you guys in Canada should think about this for local rules as well.

paid ride

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come the guy can't just come and race his boat. WTF is wrong with all of you making rules for the rules. Way to kill a sport!! Has it ever occured to people, that a little talent and a pair of big ones can win a race no matter what type of equipment their running. 5hp won't get you a win.
Cheating is cheating, but someone fixing a motor so he can come and have a good time on the weekend shouldn't open a can of worms on ways to bend the rules. This is not nascar, just average people pissing a little money away racing boats and having a good time. Just my 2 cents.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paid ride wrote:
How come the guy can't just come and race his boat. WTF is wrong with all of you making rules for the rules. Way to kill a sport!! Has it ever occured to people, that a little talent and a pair of big ones can win a race no matter what type of equipment their running. 5hp won't get you a win.
Cheating is cheating, but someone fixing a motor so he can come and have a good time on the weekend shouldn't open a can of worms on ways to bend the rules. This is not nascar, just average people pissing a little money away racing boats and having a good time. Just my 2 cents.

THIS^
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby took a big hammer and hit the nail square on the head ! Cheating is cheating and this case was not. THE Fucking END !!!

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
mayo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

WYM?
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i shouldnt even comment, after all im just a fan. Thats nostly why im mad !

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: