OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

19ft v8 winter build: suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiggsNWT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALEX wrote:
Considering a ZZ383 crate base is 5500 to 6000 dollars

No intake or marine equipment

8700.00 is not realistic for a zz383 package

Also note that GM does NOT warrantee the ZZ motor for marine use

The ZZ motors are best used in sport boats with turbine pumps that can get up to the higher rev range

The 350 efi marine packages are warranteed,reliable,have knock sensors and work well with the 212 pump

No warranty is a concern...are there builders that warranty their builds?

Seems to be a lot of people like the zz383 with the 212 too...

Maybe the 350 just isn't sexy enough these days?? Everyone seems to be doing LSA's. I dunno.

Diggs
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a LSA in my family boat....love that too, turn key reliable 410hp that's decent on fuel....coupled to a hammy!
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops...LS3 in my Clearwater....cheaped out on the LSA. Still have loads of power
shallowman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: boating Reply with quote

well i have had many different motors and boats in my life and Hilldoo
if your 20' bratt is getting less then 5 gallons a hour , i bet two people in a canoe could out speed u down the river ,, i think u are going so slow u are using more fuel to get to where ever u are going ,over a faster boat , i had a 100 mph boat could go 75 miles on 20 gallons , but got there in hour and five minutes ,
recheck your fuel mileage
just my thoughts and i am always up for a challenge ,

Laughing Laughing
HILLDOO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: 350efi Reply with quote

I too have had many boats, over 20 to be exact, every type of pump, every type of hull, I have a log that I keep track of every ounce of fuel I put in my boat and that is my average since new, sure it will burn more fuel if you drive it wide open all the time but I like to make miles so fuel economy is important to me. When we go up into the mountain rivers we are sometimes 300km or more from the truck and you won't see another boat for a week, so having enough fuel is number one. Laughing
skimmer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 gallons per hour, wow, that is really low consumption. Got a couple buddies with the 5.7 with AT pumps, and no way they get even near that and they're good boats.
How much of that hour do you float ? LOL !!!!
mof

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder why we keep quoting gallons per hour or litres per hour for a boat. Does any car or truck get fuel burn quoted as gallons per hour?
Hilldoo, you must know kilometres per gallon or litre since you run 300km, not "x" number of hours up river. What do you get km or miles when you burn 5 gallons per hour.
HILLDOO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Boring Reply with quote

Ok, you guys are really boring the &@$? Out of me now.
A fellow wanted to know some ideas for building a boat.
All I did was tell him what works for me after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on boats.
I don't get any commission on pumps, engines, or boats !

Here it is real simple for you,

350Kodiac EFI + 212 Hammy + lite boat = good performance and fuel Econ.

If you change anything in the above results will change.

Simple enough for you? Embarassed Embarassed
skimmer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doubting your knowledge or that your boat works well, but I do think you should recalibrate your calculator.
Medicine Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have the Kodiak ZZ383 package with a 600 Edlebrock carb and a Hamilton 212 pump in a 19 ft Bratt 12 degree. I get 3.5 to 4 mpg traveling at 36 to 42 mph cruising. this mileage is very comparable to other boaters I've talked to with similar sized boats of whatever brand. If you burn premium that costs about 1.90 to 2.00 a mile to drive the boat. 3 or 4 people in boat usually. The boat was better when new but I have chewed a bit of gravel over the last 4 years and have never had the impellor out yet. My motor runs great, lots of torque down low. I know some guys with the LS3 410 hp EFI motors that are really happy with there fuel mileage and performance, also it has warranty, and is a lighter motor. My engine package complete was over 8G.
DiggsNWT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: 350 MPFI with 2.9T Reply with quote

One of the builders I am considering went out friday with a 19ft boat with a 350 MPFI and the new 2.9T impeller. I am waiting to hear from him on how the test went.

Diggs
river rat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: winter build Reply with quote

hey diggs. I have a 19 bratt bulldog with the 6.0 ltr and a 212 hammy. the 2.9 impeller works awesome. I have checked the GPHR and it is 5.3to 6.0 depending on the day, cruise speed is 27 mph @ 2700 rpm up stream (north sask). my buddy has the same boat, but with the 6.3 410 horse and gets about the same millage, but cruise speed is at 31 mph (3.4impeller) but he has to burn high test. we go to the ocean so a high test burning engine was not for me. happy shopping
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs... I have a 383 stroker [not a zz] ,legend A and AA, 6oo holley, with over 400 hours , problem free, in a 17 ft sport. I have never owned a hami, so can't comment on it, my fuel burn has been from 4.6 to 5.02 , the times I checked it using a smart guage for running time and the gas pump to measure gl./hr, 2 in boat, on the brazeau as far up as you can possibly go from the dam, 75? mi and back, three other boats ,very little stopping, 30 gl of gas. I didn't bother checking anymore because I was happy, and it seemed to stay the same. you will have way more tourqe over the 350, you want torque over hp, you can tune your carb, on the river, burn purple, less electronics. If you are ordering a zz383 see if you can get them to cam it down so that your max rpm is not as high , don't know any flat bottom boats that run at 6500 rpm
Smoke Show

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want more hp than the 350 and you want warranty why not just go with the 6L. Everyone that has one is super happy with it and it also seems to work well with the 212.

Design wise the 6L is a much better designed engine and not to mention seems to be pretty damn tough. GM drop in and away you go.

mountainman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://grandeprairie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Chev-383-stroker-motor-W0QQAdIdZ503048644
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: