OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sport jet pump mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boosted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPM wrote:
I like hamiltons torture test idea Wink I'd supply the ss liner and a rebuilt impeller . plastic has some amazing ability to resist abrasion while the hard parts wear , but when the plastic reaches it's limits of what it can take it loses real bad . shallowman I call BS on your 1500 uhmw liners done and only two came back , unless they both came to me afterward .

Hey bud I am pretty sure it is a typo 150 not 1500. Yup if you run the plastic ones out of the water for a while they will heat up and you get a little meltage. I try and use my boat in the water not on the trailer though. Very Happy

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
RPM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Mark have talked with you and you seem like a straight shooter . just trying to keep it real . plastic has some merits but nosed up against a log with the intake bumping on the bottom , from my first hand experience of the uhmw liner I have to disagree with you on it outlasting a ss liner and I am willing to provide a ss for the test .
RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boosted wrote:
RPM wrote:
I like hamiltons torture test idea Wink I'd supply the ss liner and a rebuilt impeller . plastic has some amazing ability to resist abrasion while the hard parts wear , but when the plastic reaches it's limits of what it can take it loses real bad . shallowman I call BS on your 1500 uhmw liners done and only two came back , unless they both came to me afterward .

Hey bud I am pretty sure it is a typo 150 not 1500. Yup if you run the plastic ones out of the water for a while they will heat up and you get a little meltage. I try and use my boat in the water not on the trailer though. Very Happy

I know for a fact it's no typo, it's probably well over 1500 Hrs. Hamilton has more hours with a sportjet than anyone else I know or have ever ran into. I run with him a lot and there has been years I have put on over 60 Hrs just on the upper Red Alone nevermind any other rivers. As for the Stainless liners, my vote goes for the SS. If I get more than 40 Hrs out of a High Skew impellar i'm doing really well ha ha ha. Yeah I pretty much drive my boat on quad trails but it's what im into. I know of a few guys that run the same area's as I do and they had the plastic liners and they couldn't get more than 30-40 hours out of them and they were far more conservative drivers than I have ever been. I cannot remember what my exact clearance/tolerance of my SS wear ring was last time I changed my impellar but it was pretty damn snug getting it in there. And yes I did use a feeler gauge to check it but like I said I cannot remember. And that's after 100+ Hrs and 3 or 4 impellars & straight abuse.
boosted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPM wrote:
hey Mark have talked with you and you seem like a straight shooter . just trying to keep it real . plastic has some merits but nosed up against a log with the intake bumping on the bottom , from my first hand experience of the uhmw liner I have to disagree with you on it outlasting a ss liner and I am willing to provide a ss for the test .

That woul,d be up to shalloman. I will tell you that the biggerst reason or benifit for the UHMW was performance and longevity in silty water. As far as just pumping gravel who knows doing a gtest like than may be fine but it sure is going screw up some stators as well.

boosted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUNNIN WIDE OPEN wrote:
boosted wrote:
RPM wrote:

I know for a fact it's no typo, it's probably well over 1500 Hrs. Hamilton has more hours with a sportjet than anyone else I know or have ever ran into. I run with him a lot and there has been years I have put on over 60 Hrs just on the upper Red Alone nevermind any other rivers. As for the Stainless liners, my vote goes for the SS. If I get more than 40 Hrs out of a High Skew impellar i'm doing really well ha ha ha. Yeah I pretty much drive my boat on quad trails but it's what im into. I know of a few guys that run the same area's as I do and they had the plastic liners and they couldn't get more than 30-40 hours out of them and they were far more conservative drivers than I have ever been. I cannot remember what my exact clearance/tolerance of my SS wear ring was last time I changed my impellar but it was pretty damn snug getting it in there. And yes I did use a feeler gauge to check it but like I said I cannot remember. And that's after 100+ Hrs and 3 or 4 impellars & straight abuse.

It was shallowman that wrote the typo of 1500 as apposed to 150. Anyhow you jus cannot run a S.S wear ring to impeller clearence as tight as the UHMW because although the impeller is cast and the ring isn't the materials are to simular and once they contact (and they will if it is to tight) from heat expansion or force, the material will stick to one another just like a friction weld. Just like having fun using s.s bolts and nuts. S.S gets it's anit wear properties from being gummy for lack of a better word. It tends to be able to be pushed around a little before it comes off. UHMW does the same thing only it can move way more. Using a hard material up in the high 50s rockwell C will give worse results because although the material is hard it will not move at all so it just gets removed. The reason that hard material works is some applications is that the force applied is low or the surface speed is slow. Very hard materials seem to work ok there. The problem is we are pumping sand which is just a liquid grinding stone so real hard does work here. My .02 on why it is what it is.

So I agree that the S>S work very well and I have done a bunch of them and continue doing them for guys that want them. I also do carbon steel ones as they are easier to do and work pretty much as good as the S.S ones. For myself I would use UHMW just because I did the whole rock bashing thing for years and years ago. Now I am into performance and the UHMW kill both S.s and carbon steel in that department and lasts forever in silty water. Only problem for is a sportjet is WAY to slow for me so I will probably never own one. For the guys that like them I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as long as it works for type of boating

RPM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea we'd have to find someone crazy enough to want to thrash their pump . notice I said I'd supply ss liner and a impeller not the boat Smile
On-Track

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPM wrote:
as far as the SS stator goes , my opinion for $80.00 you can get a welded repair done every year for years before you've spent as much as the SS insert . with SS I don't like the idea if a rock was to get through your grill large enough to get wedged between impeller and stator vane whats going to give now ??? you can make it home with a bite out of your alum. stator , your not getting home with an input shaft snapped off at the spline !

I think there is a lot of speculation out there. Different stuff works in different applications for boaters. A welded vain repair that had chunks missing will be way softer then the casting witch will not last long passing gravel compared to an insert. As for snapping the spline at the pinion shaft I would say the offshore impeller blades will give by bending first.
RPM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude , input shafts have snapped without having to go against a ss stator vane . don't know if there was a run of bad shafts , but there has been more than one in our area break . plenty of customers happy the results of welded stators , if their not they are free to decide what is best for their needs .
shallowman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: UHMW Reply with quote

it great to hear from everyone on this topic , so Hamilton , why then do they use UHMW skii's on your sled , why not SS and your slide rails should be SS also , and all grain elevators use UHMW in the grain shoots , it is because of the wear factor , we had steel skii's and you put UHMW on them , hahaha , for comparison that a sand blaster and add water and see if you can sand blast a piece of UHMW , good luck , now do the same with steel , the sand will cut it in half , I owned a sandblasting company and i hated it when i had to blast anything that had plastic ,

so u want to take a SS liner against my plastic , ok first set the tolerance at 2-3 thou. and lets see what happens , try it first and see if the motor will even start , without welding the impeller to the housing , u know under cavitation the impeller will expand up to 5-10 thou. ( and that came from Mercury R.D department ) thats why SS is run at such high tolerances compared to plastic , there no heat build up with UHMW , and if so it just wears not seizes ,
UHMW has it's place and it is for bette performance top end and holeshot and mid range , so if u are out there just to pump gravel and wreck stuff stay with your SS ,
i think most people want performance ,
RPM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shallow I have already seen how your uhmw wear ring lasts with what would be pretty normal use for the average adventure riverboater . not even talking about the extreme guys , and it's pretty much the same results as has been reported here . why would I set clearance at .003" , I already found that .015 was the minimum 15 yrs ago when I first started making ss sport jet liners . have also found that a tight clearance isn't necessary if your impeller has the right leading edge on it . the hi-skew impeller has shown that hands down the best improvement for the sport -jet because its got so much area on the bite getting flow volume up . sure your uhmw will produce at little more pressure at top rpm with .003 , whats it worth a mph maybe unless it's a 240 in a little step-tec ? and how long does it stay .003" Ok so you made a typo on 1500 rings done, why don't you correct it ?
ryandh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we are going to settle the stainless vs Teflon wear ring debate. I will be running a stainless ring this year but I have a stator that looks like the one diggin posted so I was debating on a stainless insert since it's pretty thrashed any way. It seems like a stronger option than the sabre teeth, a lot more money too but more convenient. Any one try different nozzles? 16' lynx not exactly a race boat but a little performance wouldn't hurt.
shallowman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: UHMW Reply with quote

yes it was around 1500 hrs, combined with testing , i looked back and have made over 400 wear rings out of UHMW, i agree high skew is a great improvement , and when u add that to a uhmw ring it works pretty dam good , i know in the racing world they used them one race and then said it was not fair for the stocker housing, as uhmw was quite abit faster and better hole shot , , thats all i know

Very Happy Very Happy
mountainman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ran the stock, UHMW, stainless, here is what I found.....
Stock sucks, UHMW is a great improvement for anything except rocks, although I never sent it back in for reshaping with the impeller so I can't comment on whether I tore up the impeller or the wear ring was wore. I should send it back to Shallowman to have it looked at again....
Went stainless and have put many hours on it, sent it in to have the wear ring redone and impeller redone at the same time. Impeller was worn stainless insert was smoothed out, no replacement necessary.
Just for the record I'm running a high skew impeller also.

The UHMW was good on the hole shot and lots of extra push but I found that it wore or my impeller wore to fast for my liking.

That being said I was completely surprised how much of a difference just building up the impeller made after 50 hrs on the boat of what I thought was pretty easy running.....
shallowman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: uhmw Reply with quote

yep u are very right when using uhmw the impeller will wear out faster then the uhmw , when running stainless on both , we all know that the when two metals of the same material are together they will wear out both equally ( they fight each other ) , so your over all cost goes up as u have to build up both , impeller and wear ring or run over size impeller and that is bad as if u ever need to put a stock impeller in on the river somewhere u will have problems ,
thanks for your input ,

let'er buck

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: