OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk battery's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Let's talk battery's Reply with quote

Looking for opinions on battery's , what kinds the best , should a guy go with 1 or 2 , opinions on gel battery's , what do you have

My boat has no trolling motor or any other draw except for starting , would a very high cold cranking battery be the best or better then a deep cycle ,

Do some carry a spare in the boat , I'd hate like heck to be stranded by a dead battery ,

I chatted with a friend who said he"d just add a second battery[/b]
NO BRAKES

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of guys run 2 batteries. I use a cole hersee 4 way switch and 2 optima red or yellow tops. Im sure you can buy 2 odysseys that will fit in a single battery bracket/box.
dutchie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO BRAKES wrote:
Lots of guys run 2 batteries. I use a cole hersee 4 way switch and 2 optima red or yellow tops. Im sure you can buy 2 odysseys that will fit in a single battery bracket/box.

I was looking up them red and yellow tops on the net , seems to be good feedback on them , if you was only running one battery , would you go with the red top
NO BRAKES

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red top is the cheaper one, I think you can even get them at Wal-Mart.
Rivernut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sears Diehard Platinums are made by Odyssey. I like them because they are a high quality AGM (absorbed glass mat) style, they are readily available at any Sears and can be returned easily if there is a problem. I have (4) m-31 batteries, one for the boat and three for the trolling motor. I use the Odysseys for the 36 volt trolling motor. I think I paid about $235 each. I've owned 4 of the Optima batteries, two yellows and two blues. Both blue-tops weakened early. Do a Google search on them failing early. The absolute "best" boat batteries are the lithium-ion ones. They fetch over $1,000 each. Some of the top bass pros like Ish Monroe run them. They are much lighter but sometimes burst into flames in aircraft. "Gel cells" are old technology, pretty much no longer made as AGM's have replaced them. I have a deep cycle gel that is about 15 years old and still works great. Selecting boat batteries is mostly about how much money you can sneak into the boat without your wife catching on!

summersled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Alliance Marine starting batteries last year from battery world, they were a good price with a high lead count, and they have a higher reserve than a regular battery. I run 2 with a switch. When I'm parked one will easily run a 12" sub w/ 4 speakers and a big amp, and I usually leave my fishfinder/GPS on. Just for fun I have started my 8.1L with one battery after using it for a couple hours knowing I have the other one for back up. I'm pretty sure you can't run one regular flooded battery with one agm or gel battery, they take charge differently and one will suffer. You don't want to run a deep cycle for starting, they aren't designed for fast high amp draws, and if your engine is hard starting for some reason, you only get a few trys and the deep cycle will be dead. Unless your running a deep cycle for an electric trolling motor or running a lot of electronic stuff with the engine off for hours at a time I wouldn't use one. Some guys like the $$$ opitma gel batteries cause you can mount them in any position and take the vibration better, I've never had a problem with regular flooded batteries. Probably the biggest thing is to buy the little smart trickle charger and keep it on your batteries in a warm place if you park your boat in cold storage for the winter.
Come on summer!!!!
Smoke Show

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want red batteries.. no reason to. Yellow tops are the batterys you want if you are buying optima. I have only a single battery in my car that I road race and its a yellow.
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the battery out of my boat and need a replacement. It is pretty small and I cant find one in Yellowknife.
How many cranking amps do I need for a 240sj ? No electronics at all. It is just for starting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: