OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

200 mercury optimax sportjet problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madtacc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: 200 mercury optimax sportjet problems Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help me out , i have 5 hours on a new 2014 200 optimax sport jet and everything was fine for the first 3.5 hours ran perfect. Filled it up with gas on sunday and went out with my wife and kids and got 500 yards from the boat launch and the motor started stalling out , thought maybe air locking or almost seemed like flooding. Ran horrible stalling a few time and no power whats so ever. Finally got it back to the launch and loaded it on the trailer and it fired up and ran normal. Took it out to the lake to try and see what happens and drove around for 10 minutes perfectly fine then started acting up but as soon as i let off the throttle and let it idle for a minute i could take off again. I have had it back to the dealer were i bought it and no codes show up and all tests are good. Sucked the fuel tank dry and checked no debris , blew the fuel line and it was all clear , changed the low pressure pump and i tried opening the fill lid to see if it would stop the problem. so far no luck, anyone experience anything like this i am stumped !! Any ideas would be great.
REPO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump! These damn 200's eat them up. It's the low pressure pump that pulls the fuel from the tank and feeds the high pressure pump. Take it off and take it to Napa. You can buy a marine grade or a regular grade (much cheaper) and they are identical, just a different part number.

EDIT: i just re-read your post. You already changed the pump? Are you sure its a good pump?
wrivrdawg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Sportjet prob. Reply with quote

Check that all the connections to the coil packs are on tight. Bumped one loose one time when I did a plug change and it gave me fits for a couple days.
madtacc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: 200 optimax fuel issues Reply with quote

REPO wrote:
Fuel pump! These damn 200's eat them up. It's the low pressure pump that pulls the fuel from the tank and feeds the high pressure pump. Take it off and take it to Napa. You can buy a marine grade or a regular grade (much cheaper) and they are identical, just a different part number.
Thanks Repo, i changed out the pump with another factory one and took it back out to the lake and ran it for 40 mins , stopping and starting turning it off and fired right up , run up and down the lake at different RPM's and it seems to run just fine. i will defiantly be purchasing a new marine grade pump form NAPA if this is a common occurrence. this is my 3rd sport jet and 2nd 200 optimal and i have had no issues at all on previous boats. Thanks for your help i hope i have the problem solved now

EDIT: i just re-read your post. You already changed the pump? Are you sure its a good pump?
REPO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't run the marine grade version. Regular version is 1/2 the price. We don't get vessel surveys so i don't see the point. I have seen so many issues with these pumps that i change mine every spring, and carry a spare.
madtacc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is great to know . you don't happen to have the part number of the fuel pump you use now from NAPA ? i am assuming it has the same pressure / flow rating as the stock junk ? i definitely want to carry a spare now too.
REPO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the the same. Same specs, etc.

I will find the part number tomorrow.

ccg818

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one, part #e8012s
wrivrdawg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the fuel pump and part number. I get by with the same pump but it has the hose barb ends that you can just slip inline. Works great for quickly diagnosing the fuel pump, just run jumpers to the battery. Will also get you out of a bind. Another part to have with you at all times is the main relay assm. (part# 882751A 1) I've seen these go a few times and I carry a couple extra cheapo after market ones along as well which I've given away a couple times to get somebody else out of a bind.
REPO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hose barbs actually come with this pump as well.
wrivrdawg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if someone new the part number for the connector on the stock pump set up as well. Another thing i've seen give some issues on some boats is if they're equipped with an anti siphon valve on the fuel line at the tank. You could take the valve apart and remove the check ball and spring and give it a try.
madtacc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks four info guys great information to have. I am going to look into the relay as well, stock replacement fuel pumps are $190.00 plus tax i haven't looked into the price of the NAPA one yet but sounds like the better way to go anyways. i checked the fuel tank when i was trouble shooting this and the fitting on the take isn't the anti siphon type its a straight through fitting so hopefully i don't have to worry about that.
Its hard to believe this is my third boat with a sport jet and i had over 200 hrs on each engine before this with any problems at all !!
jeffg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Napa sportjet fuel pumps Reply with quote

Any difference in lifespan of the aftermarket non marine Napa fuel pumps?

Got 120 he on the stock merc one had to swap it for my spare yesterday. Anyone having better luck with these ones?
REPO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen, no. The Napa pump fails early as well, but it's half the price. ALWAYS carry a spare!
jimmy B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: lift pumps Reply with quote

Get my lift pumps from Summit Racing in the states 34.00 order 2 at a time cheaper than one from NAPA. Airtex E8337 marine pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: