OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heaters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Heaters Reply with quote

Going to install a d2 espar in my Nahanni just wanted to know where people mount their heater and exhaust thanks
REPO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted mine up in the nose out of site. Make sure nothing can come in contact with the exhaust pipe as it gets super hot. I also mounted the exhaust fitting as high as possible to avoid water ingestion.
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend installing a CO detector if you install an auxiliary heater as there have been a few cases of CO poisoning caused by leaking exhausts and shifting winds allowing the heaters exhaust to unknowling enter the boat while the occupants sleep. OE can supply you with a marine rated CO detector. They draw almost no power so I would wire it to the switched side of your battery switch, that way it's on all the time until you turn your battery off.
scottp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a co dector when I installed heater, it was just a canadian tire one, what is the difference in a marine grade one?
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottp wrote:
I installed a co dector when I installed heater, it was just a canadian tire one, what is the difference in a marine grade one?

http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/co-detectors.html

This is the one I've used before and it seems to work well. I'm not sure on the exact difference between the 2, but would have to "assume" that it would stand up better to the high humidity and harsher environment of an open cockpit boat. The other advantage would be is that with the marine version being hooked directly to your boat battery you wouldn't have to worry about changing out the internal battery on the detector or having it go dead in the middle of a trip, and as earlier mentioned the marine CO detector draws very little power (16 milliamps or .0016 amps) so it would take many days or even weeks to drain your main battery (without the engine ever running) to the point that it wouldn't start your engine. Also, hooking it up to the switched side of the battery switch and turning your batteries off between trips (which most boaters already do) would prevent any battery drainage over long periods of storage.

The marine version has a test button and an LED light that is continuously on confirming that the unit is on and monitoring. There have also been cases of CO poisoning from the boats engine when the boat is ran at low speed for extended periods of time, I know of one case specifically where one boat with its camper top up was towing (not on step) another boat and the occupants sitting at the back of the boat passed out from CO poisoning.

Personally, For peace of mind I would use the marine version for the small extra expense.

don wright

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: espar Reply with quote

albright refrigeration in GP, they did mine, good job. Get the D4 thou its just enough in the fall.
Smoke Show

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of not opting for the diesel heater in my boat and I kick myself for it now but do you think you could use a tent heater in a pinch or would the lack of venting be a risk?
REPO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually make a tent heater now, that has an exhaust hose to direct the spent gases outside. I can't see what these wouldn't work. I wouldn't use one of those older Coleman dome top ones, as all the CO stays inside the tent.
Toddco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: heater Reply with quote

If this is a heater you will use while travelling you need to be careful that draft will not flare the heater up. Most of the tent heaters will flare when large amounts of oxygen are introduced to the burn plate.
StephenH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info to know about heater from Toddco.
Smoke Show

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a glycol heater installed in my boat and man does it pump heat when you are running up river.

Personally I just want some sort of a heater for floating when we are fishing or just hanging out in the boat.

Some great info in this thread!

rayvin433

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at Espar, Wabasto, Wallas, Eberspacher & Planar. The one I am considering is the 13500btu Planar 4DM-12, not only from price perspective, but it looks like the most complete kit. It comes with heater, temp control, fuel tank, fuel pump & all other goodies except for air ducting. It is Russian made with 2yrs warranty. On a price stand point, it is about 1/3 (+/-$800) the cost of the others mentioned. & who knows cold better than the Russians,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: