OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

175 sport jet issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toucan chew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: 175 sport jet issues Reply with quote

My 175 sport jet started acting up yesterday when up with the Whitecourt river boat association while retrieving the rcmp boat. When first started it would pull about 4900-5000rpm and sounded like a deep rpm, then after about 10 min it cleaned right up and jumped to 5400rpm as normal.
But as soon as I reduced throttle from WOT TO 3/4 or any where above idle it would die. But would restart with just a bump on the starter. If I jam it WOT it takes off, but try to ease on throttle and it dies.

Any advice or ideas guys?
tuchodi51

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the jets are plugged, mine used to do it, mainly in the fall. Wide open throttle or idle , nothing in between.Get a can of compressed air , remove the airbox and blow them out. See what that does.
sandman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the jets plugging, it is your air vents to the bowls that get plugged.
The 175 mixes fuel and oil before the carbs, the carbs spit back a little bit, which causes a fuel/oil/water emulsion to build up.
This emulsion plugs up the vent between the two carb throats, on each carb, but sometimes worse in the middle than the top and bottom carbs.
Blow out the vents with brake clean or compressed air.
Then, tape over the center vent hole on your gaskets. The carbs will now see the engine box pressure, rather than the air box pressure,
as the center vent has a tee in it that is open to engine box area, right behind the airbox.
It worked for me but took a long time and piles of fuel to find it out.

tuchodi51

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry poor terminology on my part , air vents is what I was talking about. Good to know about the fix.
Toucan chew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned carbs, replaced reeds, and it seems to work great. Will hopefully give it a good test this weekend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: