OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fines handed out at Pipestone for launching boats!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boosted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Fines handed out at Pipestone for launching boats! Reply with quote

A few fines were handed out by the RCMP in the new RCMP boat a few weeks ago. The Pipstone crossing was a ferry crossing and because of this there has always been a good trail down to the river. It looks as though the RCMP are looking for ways to justify the cost of having the boats and training for them. They might want to be a little careful doing this as the GP River Rats are the only club in the area that can and have helps imensly with search and rescue when asked by the RCMP.
The following is from the President of the Grande Prairie river rats.

PIPESTONE BOAT LAUNCH

I've been talking with the manager of the pipestone camping and park area about the riverboats launching on the wapiti and she was saying legally it isn't a registered spot for private boat access. I explained to her about the tickets we're receiving and expressed disappointment from the GP Rat Club. Any government legislation at this time is for the ferry crossing away back when. On the bright side the lady (MJ) at pipestone really wants to get the ball rolling for all river boaters to have access to that landing. She said the county is waiting for our call to join forces and finish off the last 100' of road, which will consist of bush removal and some graveling for the planned spot they have set aside. I will be meeting with the county rep (Megan) later next week to get this moving.

I never once thought this was a problem in my ten year of boating. I personally do not agree with ticketing the boaters launching there, maybe start off with an updated warning first to pass onto others. I'm sorry to those who received fines recently. I would fight them and express confusion on the whole situation. The GP river rats (on water) are the only reliable source of technical search and rescue in the low flow time of year on the upper wapiti. I will get something happening ASAP.

Last edited by boosted on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mxracer68

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that a public forum would be very beneficial to the RCMP and the GP River Rat members.

In the last few weeks I've heard numerous stories about their lack of respect and courtesy on the river. I was personally "pulled over" by the RCMP boat upstream from Wapiti Gardens and was amazed at the lack of understanding and etiquette. They demanded I not park on shore but allow them to come aboard while we floated. The problem was that we were in less than two feet of water and quickly approaching a sharp turn into a narrow rapid. After a couple of scratches and a bump into a rock that bent my pump guard, I had showed compliance and was free to go. The man and woman officers were very respectful and courteous, I just worry that they may not understand the ramifications of stopping a boat on the river much the same as a traffic stop.

I am all in favor of checks and balances regarding activity on the river, however there are a few things that could be tabled for discussion. As for the tickets at the launch and a few of the other things that took place over August long weekend, I'm sure a formal conversation forum could clear up a lot of frustrations.

Aaron
boosted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. the RCMP have had a few issues before from not showing the proper respect for the river and the unseen dangers that exist. No one should have to pull over and float down a river if it is not safe to do so in the operators opinion. That is like telling somone to get out of there car and cross a freeway no matter what kind of traffic there is.

The RCMP have a golden opertunity to have and keep respect from all the river boaters in the area. If they treat us without respect they will get the same back and that will be hard to change.

In the past year the RCMP have been invited to attend the Anual GP river rat meeting. I would thinkthat this would very important for them to let us know what they expect from us in the future. They did not attend!

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
shallow draft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never give permission to come aboard. Don't stop them but never give consent. They have no right to search your boat without probable cause. Open liquor is probable cause so be warned.
The days of the free river are over. They will have to justify the cost of these boats so guess what.... there will be lots of tickets issued.
The only good thing is they will likely wreck most of them in due time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: