OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Turbine SD203 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YukonRob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: American Turbine SD203 problem Reply with quote

I have a new boat with an sd203 pump and kodiak engine. Second time I took it out it overheated because there was a small stone stuck in the cooling line off the pump(I still haven't even hit bottom I don't abuse the boat) On the weekend I was in a boat exactly the same as mine and we did hit bottom for half a second and same thing happened, a small stone was blocking the cooling line. I pushed a wire down the cooling line and I cleared it enough that we drove the boat back to the truck but it was still running hot because I couldn't get the rock right out. Both these boats are flat bottom with uhmw and the only solution I've been offered is pull the hose off and push a welding rod down there to clear it. When I look at the port the water goes in right after the impeller there's no way you could push the rock right out. Anyone else have this problem or know how I can fix it?
Boomhower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 203 pump is a poor model in a few ways. One is The water intake port for the cooling water is in a poor location. Its big enough to put your thumb in, and can easily pick up debris. One fix is to weld a small screen over the hole.
The second is far more expensive, I would convert it over to a SD-312.
We have only installed 2 of these sinced they were introduced and both were converted to a 312.
sharky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a 312 and it has the exact same problem with rocks going into the cooling line… I would go with the welded screen on the 203. Had a welding rod and a 5/16 nutdriver in the engine compartment right beside the cooling line at all times.
YukonRob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's not really good news but thanks for the reply! Haha. I think I'm going to try the screen idea first. Something has to work it's a brand new boat and they told me to go with the "upgraded" 203 pump and it sure doesn't seem to work for what it was supposed to. Another idea I had is to increase the size of the cooling line to 3/4" somehow because most of it is outside the pump. Would that be a bad idea or even possible?
RPM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i'd be welding a couple rod across the water pick-up like the Hamilton has cast in . don't know much about the 203 other than worked over a couple impellers , but it looked like it should work , very similar to a sport jet 4 blade in a 8" 5 blade .
Dale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the 312 and the 203 need to have the water lines changed to 1/2" or bigger. You need to run an external water line through the transom. on the 312 you can just tap into the bowl housing and do this. on the 203 you would have to weld a fitting on, as there is not enough material to tap. the 203 does also need the screen inside the pump, just a bigger water line is not enough. unless you never touch bottom or use reverse off the shore. best choice is still the 312 back end on the 203 housing, even better is to put the 309 impeller into the 312 set up.

AT has a new profile impeller for the 312, we haven't tested it in rocks yet but it should perform better. won't make a difference on the plugged water lines.

Dale
Regular Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomhower wrote:
The 203 pump is a poor model in a few ways. One is The water intake port for the cooling water is in a poor location. Its big enough to put your thumb in, and can easily pick up debris. One fix is to weld a small screen over the hole.
The second is far more expensive, I would convert it over to a SD-312.
We have only installed 2 of these sinced they were introduced and both were converted to a 312.

Were both parties satisfied with the AT 312 change over and did it solve their problem. For many folks it's hard to justify the cost of the 212 in a 20 footer or less.

Thanks

Marc
Dale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 203 to 312 swap in one of our prototype boats. it did work better and cruise at a higher speed/lower RPM with the 312.

however you still need to move the water lines out of the pump, the 312 has the same small water tube and the same bad water pick up area.

in the same boat I installed the 309 impeller and wear ring, with the big 312 intake. that is now the way the boat is running. we have done this change to 3 of the 312's now with good results.
however I never did try the new 312 impeller. it has the same pitch as the 309 impeller and is suppose to work great.??
shakescreek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the 309 impeller and wear ring a direct fit in the 312 suction housing, or is there some sort of spacer or adapter required? How about bowls? Will a 312 bowl bolt to a 309 suction housing or vice versa?
RPM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 312 is an up sized copy of a 309 pump , about an inch larger dia. imp. so no they don't interchange . the 203 has a single stage 8" axial flow imp. , it uses the same suction as the 312 with a stainless wearing about 5" long .
shakescreek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense and pretty much what I always thought, although I've never had a good look at a 312 up close. Dales post about using 309 impellers in a 312 made me wonder though. I assume he must be using some kind of bushing to fit the smaller impeller/wear ring in the 312 housing.
RPM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed that in Dales post , I think the shafts are the same so you could sleeve the 312 housing for the smaller 309 wear ring . I guess the advantage would be you have more impeller selection for smaller engines .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: