OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Cornering and other tricks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixopr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Hard Cornering and other tricks Reply with quote

Hello All!

I have an eagle sport 19' delta bottom that I got late last year. I wasn't able to really put it to the test but did manage to run some shallow water and some big river stuff. My question is what tricks to people use to corner hard with a sport type boat? Can you 180 these boats? I'm sure with some more experimentation I can figure out some of the tricks of the trade but looking to the forum for help. Like anything I'm sure its all in throttle control. Off topic but remember when we had old sleds like elans and tundras, throttle was basically on or off. New high power sleds you really have to finesse the throttle.
Boat rides nice and is comfortable and pretty easy on gas compared to our bigger 20 footer, both have 351 fords. Mine has a AA berkley stainless. Was wondering about putting an A in it for some more speed but I like the way it runs at 3200rpm with AA. Not the fastest sport boat but runs shallow and is quiet enough to talk at normal volume.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
riverboater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you never mentioned what you have for a reverse bucket. I have never tried the Hamilton turn with a turbine but with an htr reverse it would be worth a try. When cruising at about 30mph, back off throttle, hard left and put it in reverse at same time as you floor the throttle. this throws the back of the boat out of the water and spins it 180 degree and as fast as this happens you put it back in forward with steering centred and full throttle and you are going the other direction so quickly it is scary. Make sure everybody is hanging on real tight or they are going to fly around inside the boat. great way to change directions in a narrow channel when it is coming to an end or running out of water. You need about 2 ft of water or more or you dig a hole deep enough to bottom the boat. And find a calm bunch of deep water to practice this maneuver before try it in a river with current. Another hint, if someone is behind you it will be a head on collision as you are going the other way faster than the following boat can react.
j-roc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my nahanni with the race nozzle, let off all the way, crank the wheel to full lock, punch it, then let off. I've almost got the 360 but not quite. As far as hard cornering are you set up with trim tabs or anything?
dixopr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. In a flatter bottom boat i have done like u in the nahanni. Get it to slide a little then punch it, spins right around. Will try the reverse trick. I see how that can work. Pivot in tge centre kinda thing. My reverse bucket is just the usual berkeley stuff, almost useless.
dixopr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot. I have fixed trim tabs, not adjustable.
j-roc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you try my truck in a sport you might die.

I put an Exact Welding trim nozzle/ reverse setup on my boat last year. Best mod I ever did.
j-roc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you try my truck in a sport you might die.

I put an Exact Welding trim nozzle/ reverse setup on my boat last year. Best mod I ever did.
dixopr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that. The sport has a lot of bite. Flatter bottom boats kinda slide at some point. I haven't witnessed that yet with the sport. Thanks for the info on the mod. I end up doing lots of long steady runs so will see if i add more stuff to the boat or just burn money in gas. Please keep tye afvice coming. I appreciate it.
riverboater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Hamilton turn is not a slide, the rear of the boat is out of the water and pivots around the bow. I have performed this in many of my boats from a 20ft 12 degree down to my 14ft 24 degree. left hand steer, single stick for forward and reverse and a foot throttle makes it a lot easier to perform.
dixopr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have foot throttle, just stick control canbit still be done? I've seen it done. Would like to give it a try. Do you have any other tricks or tips?
riverboater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will shift and throttle fast enough with a single control, worth a try. However if your pump don't prime fast enough to stop rear movement you take a lot of water over the transom. As soon as the pump hits the water and before the boat settles it is quit important to change directions. This is a fairly violent maneuver, I have had passengers break the seat off the floor if they are not hanging on as tight as I have told them.
riverboater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

performed correctly and you change from 30mph one way to 30mph the other in about 2-1/2 boat lengths. I will try for some video next time the water softens up so I can get the boat out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: