OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

break in question/short story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: break in question/short story Reply with quote

Last night I got to go to a musical with the wife Rolling Eyes . So basically I had two hours of thinking about jet boats and motors with some intermitent clapping so it looked like I was paying attention.

Anyway, long story short, I was thinking about everybody's break in procedures for a new motor. I know we have covered it here before (at least in the old forum), but I had a crazy thought.

If instead of the cam break in cycle, you were to remove the plugs, would it take a huge electric motor to turn the crank at say 2000 rpm's? I guess what I'm getting at is, if you could spin a motor, without plugs and not running would the cam break in, and the rest of the break in cycle be any better w/o the load of combustion on all of the parts?

It may not be feasable as all of that rotating mass may take a huge electric motor to spin. Another point I came up with is its not broke, so don't fix it. But for those of us with poor restraint, you could get the break in done on an engine stand and not have to worry about staying out of the throttle. Or people who have serious performance motors could save the wear of combustion and get a solid break in w/o ever firing it up. Who knows, maybe the motor wouldn't break in properly w/o all of the associated combustion heat (pressure on the rings, etc.). Maybe in my small brain I'm not realizing something simple like the intake charge is actually lubing and keeping the upper valve train cool.

Anyway, just a crazy thought. Maybe once again I've lost my mind. But that's what happens when you take a jet boater to a musical-Aluminum Squirt

PS-My motor project has not started so, no, I'm not doing any break in soon
BLOWN INCOME

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: breakin Reply with quote

In order for a engine to be bkoke properly there needs to be compression and combustion causing the piston to put thrust on the cylinder walls. This thrust puts pressure on the walls causing the rings to wear properly to the cylinder cross hatch. Roller cams as in the performance crate engines really dont need to be broke as they are rollered. Free wheeling a rotating mass i guess would just be freewheeling ..Then again what do i know lol..my 2 cents
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would not create any heat, you need to get the engine good and warm to seat the rings, not warm enough you will get a glaze on the walls
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both those answers make sense. I was just day dreaming and came up with a crazy idea and figured somebody around here would know the answer. Thanx-Aluminum Squirt
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea combustion (heat) is a must for breakin. Most parts in the motor don't 'fit' the way they are designed to untill they reach operating temp. Its critical for clearances especially with rings.

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: