OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another ZZ4 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Another ZZ4 question Reply with quote

I've got a line on a barely used set of Vortec heads, part # 12558062 for $250 with lifters/pushrods/rocker arms/valve covers. Are these heads ZZ4 race legal (valves appear to be the right size)? Is this a good price? Do these heads make sense to buy, recondition and throw on my rebuilt SBC? I'm guessing I'll need a Vortec intake? Any other Vortec parts I will need specifically? I'm sure some of you smart guys will know if there are compatibility issues here and if these are a good price. Maybe these will work perfectly with a ZZ4 short block and I can get back to racing sooner than later. Thanx in advance for your assistance-Aluminum Squirt
Kev-o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey squirt here is my two cents. Not sure if they are FX legal or not, i would think so. As far as price that seems good. and i have read in the car mags that the heads flow good and are capable of 400hp in stock form. Just the intake is all you need! I have also heard they have a tendency to get hair line cracks from the water jackets? GOOD LUCK and hope you get to race soon!
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortecs are legal as long as the valve size (1.94 intake 1.60 exh) is OK. If heads have been milled, you need to check chamber size to make sure that CR does not go over 10.5 to 1. Can be "fixed" with thicker head gasket if necessary.

Here is a good short article about 'em.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/index.html

They are a great head and flow better than the aluminum heads that come on a ZZ4. Jesse LaForest and Don Ruddick use Vortecs.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article, that's exactly what Jesse told me. I'm going to buy the heads and start stock piling parts, maybe one of these days I'll be back to racing-Aluminum Squirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: