OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sportjet Impellor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyerup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Sportjet Impellor Reply with quote

My impellor on my Lynx 240 Sportjet has a few dents on the leading edges of the vanes- Is it important to keep them really sharp?
When I do sharpen it, should it be razor sharp, or should it be sharpened like a lawnmower blade (1/64" flat edge) so it won't bend over?
I am a relative "newbie" so I chew on a few rocks now and then (don't you all?)
Thanks.
sandman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyerup,
I have had good luck with keeping the leading edge flattened or even have a bit of an outward curve. You are correct in the lawnmower blade style of sharpening, just make sure that the bevel is one sided and the cut is on the bottom side of the blade in reference to rotation. You want to keep the blade cutting the inrush of water cleanly, not causing any cavitation. Too fine of an edge will get you a short life span till it has to be sharpened again. Check the diameter of the impellor, that is where the most wear seems to be, increased clearance gives worsening performance. The metal quality of the sportjet impellors seems to be real poor, I found that the impellors lose diameter quicker than the wear ring. Wear ring is aluminum, impellor is stainless, you would think it would wear the other way around?

GB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandman do you know of anyone that has tried other impellors Solas etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
sandman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB,
Oddly enough, a friend of mine should be receiving the new Solas Concord impellor today. They just started making them from what the distributors have been saying. Hopefully they will be a harder composition and will last longer. They have the rounded leading edge which is where the most amount of wear seems to take place. I'm currently trying a brush-on, 2 part coating on my wear ring, liking the results so far, brought tolerances down from approx .040" to .014" with one coat, that brought revs down to 5300 from 5400, and no longer cavitate on launch. Top speed is about the same, but fuel economy is better now. Also coated pressure faces on impellor to see what that will do for erosion. I run a hydraulic trim nozzle that I built this spring and have been fine tuning, between that and the coatings, my boat is running way better in the handling department and a little more economically now. One big R&D project!!

sandman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gb,
Have you seen the Scott impellor for the sportjets? They seem to be a progressive company, maybe they have some good ideas?

shallow draft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 240 with 170 hours on it. At 25 hours I replaced the wear ring. At 80 hours I replaced the impellor. At 150 hours had the wear ring bored out 100k and the wear ring sized to about 15k. There was about 50k taper on the wear ring at this time. This has worked great for the last 20 hours and I am very happy with this. Time and gravel will tell how long things will stay tight. The pump will cavitate a small amount but the 240 is just to much for the pump.
This boat now works like it should have from the factory. Contact Steve in Red Deer and he can help you. 403-348-0043
allblowdup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been biulding plastic wear rings for sportjets for a couple of years now. We run them at about .001-.003 clearance. I will hold a 240 from spinning out, cornering is better also. They seem to last about 75 to 100 hrs in silty water. Let me know if you are interested.
hyerup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SANDMAN- Where did they find the solas impellors? I am very interested- Do you know where I could get one??
I checked their web site didn' see anything....
mike.elmes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't spoke with Boat Craft in Edmonton yet but they are listed as a distributor. There is an impeller called Solas Concord MC-CD-22/39 that is made for the Merc sportjet....I am also interested in a better impeller if one exists.
spanky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey stay away from the Solas, unless they have improved them in the last year they are junk.
________
Enzo ferrari (car)

Last edited by spanky on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mike.elmes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: new impeller technology Reply with quote

Is Mercury working on one? Or perhaps the sportjet is destined to be replaced with a 4 stroke supercharged aftercooled turbo'd super efficient new engine. I can't see Mercury spending any R&D into a technology they are abandoning....Sportjet owners can enjoy them while they are available. I love mine. I would just like it to hook up better. The SS insert at a tight tolerance sounds like the way to go. I will inquire about the Solas as to whether they improved it.....I havent heard anyone raving about it thats for sure.
mike.elmes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cut n paste from the Solas website

Mercury Sportjet

"This is a highly efficient 4-blade, Stainless Steel, progressive pitch impeller delivering excellent thrust and superior overall performance for the Mercury SportJet model jet drive."

"SportJet is a registered trademark of Merucry Marine, Inc."

Model Recommended SOLAS PWC Products
IMPELLER
DynaFly Concord Xprop IJK Series ABC Series
250 HP a MC-CD-22/39 a a a
240 HP
a a a a
210 HP a a a a
175 HP a MC-CD-18/27
GB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Sandman
Scott’s have not made an SJ impeller as yet their SJ electric / hydraulic trim nozzles work really good.We have a Solas agent here in Christchurch hopefully I will be able to get one of their new impellers at the right price (pump some gravel and see how it holds up) I run a s/s wear ring last impeller was around 5 thou clearance worked really well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
spanky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the sportjet wear ring is a straight bore, and OB jet is tapered. There is no way to shim them tighter. You may not need any new parts, you would be surprised how good just tuning up the leading edge can work if your OD is still tight.
________
Cholesterol Advice

Last edited by spanky on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: