OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got me a small problem.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Got me a small problem..... Reply with quote

In the past two season's that I've had my boat I have had all the troubles you could imagine with the Place Diverter.From blowing lines(3-4 times),busting the rod on the cylinder to breaking the mounting bracket it's fastened too.My goal this year was to make it bullet proof.I had a buddy come and hard pipe the inside with SS line and got some bulk heads to go from 1/4" tubing to no. 4 HYD hose.Should never break another line.....BUT,the problem I'm having now is that my steering seemed to tighten right up.I understand it could be the cable going but it has no more drag/friction out of the water moving it with my hands as last year.Could these new HYD line's cause harder steering?Or is my cable in need of replacement?

Last edited by Arthur on Thu May 03, 2007 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Cavefish

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those hoses can be very stiff and do resist twisting, but my guess from the way you have them routed that isn't the problem. There is plenty of length for them to be moved plenty of length for them to be twisted. That IS a bulletproof setup! You say you can move the nozzle by hand and it's no stiffer than last year but in the water and under power it gets stiff? If I read that right, maybe something that shows up when there is pressure from the pump in the nozzle, like pins & teflon or the seal is blowing out of it's groove and jamming things? Also seems like bad cables sometimes feel worse when there is just a little more resistance like when you are under power. These are just my long far away guesses. I do like your new setup.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jesse your reading it right.It had rinky dink little Blk hose before and I just couldn't seem to go any distance without busting one.It was just at OE last year and they went through the pins and what not.I'm pretty sure it's still all snug but I will double check.I find it hard to believe that those hose's would cause that,but the steering doesn't seem to drag any worse as it did since I got it.I grease it quite often and maybe should do it at the wheel to see if that helps?I also "borrowed" a coupe fittings from work that take me from #4 HYD back to 1/8" NPT.So a easy check would be to adapt back to the 3cent tubing and see if that make's a difference?Can that steering cable be serviced or just replaced?I know on my bike there's a cable lube tool that allows you too get a extra year or two out of the clutch cable.
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make it even more bulletproof, remove all that stuff and run a steel nozzle Shocked Shocked Cool .
AR

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that bought an aluminum boat last Fall with an American Turbine pump that looks just like your set-up.

The boat was the worst steering Jet I've ever driven...... The problem turned out to be the reverse part of the nozzle was dragging in the water really bad. It acted like a big rudder and dragging an anchor at the same time. It would really oversteer the boat especially at slower speeds. The steering wheel was even hard to hold centered up to go straight.

We ended up cutting the nozzle off just behind the nozzle reducer, turning it upside down and fabricating a reverse diverter on the gate. It steers perfect now and picked up 5.3 mph ! Shocked Laughing

Oh yeah . . . . reverse is just as good if not better.

I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with AT pumps, I'm just saying with our set-up it wasn't right ! CYA Rolling Eyes Cool

10-7-06 008.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.63 KB
 Viewed:  23848 Time(s)

10-7-06 008.jpg

10-7-06 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.7 KB

10-7-06 002.jpg

10-7-06 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.87 KB

10-7-06 003.jpg

AR

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a picture with the gate in the open / up position, but there is nothing dragging in the water anymore . . . .
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my luck......I finally tried every possible thing to loosen up my steering and broke down and ordered a cable.Suppose to leave Red Deer at 3pm WED afternoon on the Greyhound.....Called toady and nothing.Stopped there after work and still nothing.She say the drivers are going on strike at midnight and if it's not here now,than there's no telling where it is.Man do Evil or Very Mad I HATE Evil or Very Mad GREYHOUND.At least it still steers with two hand's.... Smile
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.....seems that not only do they make the best Jetboats in the world,they also have a very bright staff that offers excellent service too.They heard the rumor about the bus strike and sent it DHL.I got a call first thing this morning about yesterday's post and she just made my long weekend...(not like I couldn't of run it)but just not to its full capability.Thank you to Janice,Kevin,Bernie and everyone else that make's that place go round.Happy long weekend everyone Very Happy

P.S.-As I sit typing this my phone just rang.........DHL called for a pick up Very Happy
reeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur, did that new steering cable make a difference? I'm having the same issues and my cable's been greased and doesn't seem to be binding anywhere. The steering is tight and there seems to be a real hard spot a half turn to the right and a half turn to the left of center while cruising. Maybe this is normal and I'm just being picky, but if it's not, I'd like to fix it.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Teflon O-rings in the nozzle, sometimes they get out of there grove

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
DOC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah they wear out too. Then its aluminum on aluminum. That dont steer worth a shiet.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah still fighting with this one.Tried almost everything I have been told or can possibly think of and it's still tighter than ever.

-Changed out those hose back to normal.....No diff
-greased the hell out of everything front to back.....No diff
-Broke down and bought a cable....No diff
-Changed steering pins and bushings....No diff
-Changed out teflon wear ring......FA

Trying a couple more things then I guess it's off to OE.I was always under the impression that this hobby was cheap..... Wink Yeah right Very Happy
DOC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who ever told you jet boats are cheap is an idiot !
DOC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to thinking, what kind of grease are you using. My steering was getting tight and i couldnt figure out why then i had an epiphany, it was the grease i was using. Like an idiot i was using the best sticky grease i could find, gooed it up real good. I got a new cable and greased it with the slimiest white grease i could find. Havent had any trouble since. I dont know why you had so many problems with your hydraulic lines. I used the cheap plastic ones that came with it and ive never had a leak. Good luck.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DOC.....I really don't know what is up with those lines but it always seem'd to be a inside out puncture.Not sure if they touched the exhaust or just some drunk holding the button in too long?Either way,I was changing line's or adding couplings on every other trip.The grease thing might be a problem.I honestly thought of that and want to change up the lube I use.It's a electrical bearing grease(being a electrician)and it does seem to bind...It's free and really might be causing my problem....will keep you posted.THANKS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: