OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sportjet Fuel Issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Upside Down

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Sportjet Fuel Issues Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has similar problem with 175 sj. This only has twice out of the last four trips and always at the end of the trip, starts out with no real precise throttle control between 4000 and 5000 rpm,it either runs at 4000 or 5000(throttle lever seems to have no response between the two rpms).Then it gets progressively worse to where it is almost impossible to keep running(seems like it is starving for fuel(responds only when you give it full throttle, but if it dies you can return the lever to the idle position and it starts and idles fine) Question
blen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fuel system checks okay keep a timing light with you next time out and when you are having problems check each cylinder for spark. If you have dead cylinders look to your stator or switch boxes. Stator failure is a common problem on 2.5s. I just changed mine on Tuesday , the boat would pull too 4000 and then die off I went through my fuel system and then found that the port side cylinders would die and then fire intermittently. I changed the stator and it runs like a top.
Grizzly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upside down, how many hours on your 175? Does it tend to do this mostly or only when it is raining outside or quite damp>

A common thing is that on Sport Jets with more then 150 hours for some reason seem to get a lot more oil residual in the air intake area. We have seen the jets plug up or the mid range orifices plug with oily milky residue.

Have a look, take your air intake off and get a can of brake clean with the fine straw and blow in all the orifices inside the carb bell and then go for a spin.

We have seen this be more evident on humid, damp rainy days

Just my thoughts and experience personally and friends with the same thing.

Had to come down the Kechika river almost wide open the first time. It did exactly as you describe. Idle good but no mid range. At 4800 to WOT worked good.
GB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and it was a combination between a loose fuel filter sucking air and or could have been water in one of the two in line filters
Upside Down

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Sportjet Fuel Issues 2 Reply with quote

Think you might be on the right course Grizzly. Both times where in the evening(no problems all day). Noticed that the air intake was quite oily, and found the bottom two carbs to have a buildup of oil in the throat of the carbs. Checked out fuel filters, lines, and tested fuel pump pressure and all seems to be good. Maybe going to go tomorrow and try spraying some carburetor cleaner and see what happens.
Cavefish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these motors have reed valves? If so maybe they are getting tired.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave a copy of this to Shaun and he agreed the stator should be checked out and the reeds should be inspected. There are other things which could cause this but seem alot less likely.

Good luck

Cheers

sandman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this trouble with my 175 and it took a long time to figure it out.
Problem comes from the oil/moist air emulsion build up in the carb throats. In between the carb barrels is a vent hole located in the upper section as you look into the carbs. Blow this hole clean and then tape off the tiny hole in the gaskets so that this hole is now open to engine box pressure only, rather than air box and engine box pressure. The two are interconnected when the little hole is open, this allows the emulsion to build up and plug off the vent hole, which is an equalising line to the float bowl. If the equalising line plugs off, the bowl goes into a lean mode. Your boat will run wide open or nothing at all probably, as soon as the throttle is backed off, it will quit, bad thing to have happen!
You can also make new gaskets without the vent hole, don't forget to clean out the vent to the float bowl or the trouble will still be there.

Bend There

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Sport jet fuel issues Reply with quote

Upside Down
Have you tired Sandmans suggestion?
I have the exact same problem and boy does it suck. I put brand new reeds in mine and still does it.
I just signed up to the forum. But am going to look into this. It can take a while before you end up running in the right conditions to make it happen.
One guy suggested carry a can of compressed air to blow the carbs out with. I had mine get so bad that it didn't even want to get out of the hole.
Talk about a pain.
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this happen several times (or something that sounds very similar), on several different boats.
Grizzly has the right idea, I use a can of Carb Cleaner (the kind that you can spray into a carb when the engine is running), A little shot into each jet/opening in the face of the carbs and the problem is gone.
We have found that the problem is worse for guys that try to cheap out on there oil, but it will still happen with good oil sometimes.
As stated, this happens more on cool damp days.
Just my 2 bits worth.
Polarkiwis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sportjet 175hp also seems to suffer from this. It has about 550hours on it.

After racing at full noise for about 30 minutes when I slowed and was cooling the motor down prior to putting on the trailer it had a flat spot between 3800rpm to about 4300rpm. I put it down to 30 hour plugs. So replaced them. Seemed to clear up. Raced this weekend and again noticed a flat spot from about 3900rpm to 4100rpm. Plugs only have about 5 hours.

Will check out your suggestions and let you know.

Cheers
Brian
hosman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the exact same issues. Boat runs like a top all summer....no issues...now this fall in cool weather t will run WOT fine but when the throttle is backed off the boat will stall and die.
Brother just had boat up the Ketchika river and boat died in big rapids with huge rocks jutting out of water. Boat bounced off some major rocks and spit them out onto the Liard, 1/2" KM upstream from Whirl pool canyon...unnavigatable.....took while to start and would barely idle...luckily idled long enough to make it to shore.
Scared the shit out of him....
Was supposed to go hunting up the same river 5 days from now but trip may be off unless I get this problem solved.....

I had the carbs off yesterday to have a look and looks to me like the little air jet at the topcenter of the carb face above the carb barrels while looking on the airbox side is plugging off with this emmulisfied milky oil residue.

I have talked to lots of people....all 175s having issues......only solution I have heard other than one above is:

This is through friend of a friend so take it for what is worth
1. Run Skidoo.....snowmobile oil...less viscous at colder temps
2. Guy ran heat tape on fuel and oil lines with inverter off batt
And supposedly this fixed the problem

I am in the process of trying this right now....will post results. I will also look at trying to seal off this air jet from carb blow back as sandman suggests....I think this is what he is trying to do. I'm sure with enough of us we can come up with a solution.......anybody wanting to discuss this please PM me or call 250-787-5550

Lorne

hosman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandman,

You must be plugging the hole in the rubber carb boot which is attached to the airbox? Correct?
This had me puzzled for a minute but makes sense now. I kept thinking how does this work, as it would seem intially that by plugging the air off to this jet that you are manually doing the same thing as the emulsified oil is doing.
The reason this would work is if you look at the the air screw, it is open to blow back from the carbs via the airbox hole you are refering too but ALSO has clean air supplied via a port right above the air screw.
So by doing this one is elimating the oil entrained air from the airbox.

Going to try and make thin garlock gasket or see if engine side gasket will work to seel this off. I'm leery of tape as it could come off and enter engine.

hosman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad
Bend There

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Sport jet fuel issues. Reply with quote

Just found out that Quick Silver makes a carburetor anti-icing kit.
Basically it runs the engine water thru a port over the top of the carbs.
I was able to find it on line. But Outlaw should be able to get it for a guy.
Part # is 856642A2. I have not had time to get one and try it out, but thought I would let others know about it.
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: