OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Pump Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YKX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Oil Pump Question Reply with quote

Hey guys, Need HELP

Got a 429 BBF in a sport jboat with a single stage legend pump

puttin in a new motor to the boat and was priming the oil pump prior to intalling the dis. Problem is: no oil coming out of the rods. NOTHING. Oil pump is new, got oil in the block. Only additions, replaced the single oil filter to a duel relocating filter kit.

Any ideas of did anyone have this problem.. From the NWT so summer is SHORT! Any help will be great.

Thanks

YKX Confused
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably way too simple a solution, but I wonder with cold oil and dual filters remote mounted that maybe a drill isn't spinning enough RPM's to get it flowing. Maybe pan to pickup clearance wasn't set right? Here's something I'd probably do, run the drill in the wrong direction. Although I know so little about oil pumps, maybe they work running backwards too????-Aluminum Squirt
BLOWN INCOME

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes if a oil plug from in behind the timming chain isnt installed properly the plug falls out causing the oil to not reach top end.Happened to a small block chev of mine.There should be 3 plugs behind the t- cover behind the cam gear and 3 plugs at the back of the motor just above the cam. You should also feel resistance on the drill if the pump is pumping.To prime properly you should use a old distributor with out the gear in order to plug a gally hole which also would let the oil bleed off and spin er up see what happens.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook up a mecanical gauge to your block and see if your getting oil pressure. If your not I would check your oil pump. You never know it could be faulty right from the factory. Also ensure that your line are run properly on your remote kit, you wouldn't be the first one to mess that up. Remember the line that comes off the middle of the adapter on your block must end up in the middle of the filter.

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who assembled the motor? Were they familiar with the BBF?
Also might be too simple but there are 2 plugs on a cast "tower" in the lifter valley of a BBF, make sure they are plugged. Im not positive but perhaps the bottom end could get oil but not the top if those plugs are out. They are fed by the lifter gallery if I am not mistaken. I could try to get a pic of what I mean when I get home, I have a few spare blocks kicking around

Good luck and please post the solution when you find it (I hate dead end threads, especially ones that pertain to a BBF! lol )
Cheers

p.s. On what Alum Squirt said I have had that exact issue with a 460 and dual remote filters. they were a complete #$tch to get primed. Sounds of it tho you have oil in the bottom end so I don't think thats your problem.

YKX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

UPDATE-

Pulled the motor out last night with a friend, what a B*TCH to do with limited space. I suggest to all to get BIGGER garages if you dont have a big one already.

"2 plugs on a cast "tower" in the lifter valley of a BBF" - on my old motor, these were plugged. We were not to sure why at the time. Now I possibly know. The new motor now are not plugged. That is probably the reason right there.

For the plugs, where do I get them from??? and are they welded in? of just cold weld (that gluie stuff) to get them to stay?

Thanks for everything. I am in the process of looking at the oil pump right now to check things out.

Sh*tty, I was so close to getting the boat to fire!

Will keep all posted.

YKX
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#$@^
well sorta glad you may have found the culprit but sorry you had to pull the motor to find itt. I guess if you'd had more suspicions you could have just pulled the intake but you never get off that easy with stuff like this!

On my latest block the plugs were out too and I had to steal em from the old motor. As far as I know these are just standard pipe plugs but they were definatly tapped holes on my motors. Are they not tapped on yours???

Hopefully that was the problem, i'd guess it sure wasn't helping anyway

I would just use some threadlock on them, I wouldn't weld them in

Nice to see more BBF's around too btw

Cheers

YKX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

For all you inquirers.

Found the problem, it was the oil pump, it was not sucking from the pick up. Something I SHOULD have noticed in the first place. Oh well, got me time to introduce myself to the motor. She knows who I am now.

The motor is assembled and ready for "Wiskey Girl" (name of boat) tomorrow in the morning.

Question: Does the new distributer that I bought (when installed) go past the rubber o-ring into the maniford? As I found out, the distributer gets to the end before the o-ring.

Thanks

YKX

p/s- will post pics of the motor once complete.
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why wait till it's done...

outshecomes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.44 KB
 Viewed:  22257 Time(s)

outshecomes.jpg

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Oring should not be visible and is "in the hole" maybe a 1/4" when the dist is sitting properly.
You may find the trick to getting the dist to seat properly depends on how the oil pump driveshaft is sitting. Its a hex so either blip the starter while someone pushes down on the dist or use your drill to keep bumping the oil driveshaft a bit then try the dist again. If you're going to bump the starter while pushin on the distrubutor make sure you have it down low enough to engage the cam or you'll quickly lose track of your timing and what tooth you should be on.
Neat boat looks small for a 460 but I'm all for a big engine ina small boat!
Incidentally why the 429 vs the 460? 460's seem easier to find and the free cubes are a good thing, in my books anyway...

Cheers

YKX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Why a 429? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise regarding the distributer. Will give it a try once back in the mounts today.

As for a 429 vs 460? GAS! Where we go, there are not to many gas stations around not to mention you have to get to a gas station once out!

429 is a bit lighter, not much though and it has given me no REAL problems in the past. Gets me to 72 mph on the lake and is sort of cheap on gas.

Talk to NT Jetboater, get him to send you a video of what we do with our boats up here. Maybe next year, you'll have to through that thing on the train and come for a rip! Thanks Xerophobic for everything. Will keep in touch.

YKX
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no worries, thats what these forums are for, getting you back on the water fast and some clear thinking while you're over the edge pullin your hair out lol

I have 4 BBF's and 2 of them are 429's. I am curious where the weight diff is? As far as I know the only diff in the motors is the crank and the pistons(due to a diff pin height). Definatly not a light motor either way but tons of torque.
I have the Rapid Runner DVD, love it, can't get enough of that stuff. I'm definatly going to get some footage of the tunnel next time we run a river and shoot it to Vince. I am totally surprised you run a big block period as I already know they aren't that fun to push lol

Throw up some more pics of the rest of the boat. Anything fancy on the motor? What year etc? I'm surprised to hear you say cheap on gas and BBF in the same sentence lol

I'm hoping to get my "good" motor back next week. I swapped out lower comp pistons and used forged this time cause I was dumb last time > its a late 70's block but I have DOVE-C heads on it, mildly ported and runnin about 9.5:1 now. Comp cams valvetrain, roller rockers etc I guess its close to a BBFX motor powerwise but with iron heads. I can't wait to see how much better the tunnel is with ~200 more HP than it has now

On a train, sounds good to me I'm still thinkin a relocation to Alberta is in my near future anyway

Stay in touch

Cheers

p.s. anyone ever warned you about the fragile casting spot on the timing cover of the BBF? Gotta watch that bit or it breaks thru and lets water into the timing chain area. I'll explain more if need be

YKX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: timing cover Reply with quote

As far as weight is concerned, they are both heavy, just that the 429 crank is a bit lighter. Not Much! I borred mine out .30 over in the pistons, comp cam, roller rockers, forged pistons (is the way to go!) eldebrock manifold, 750 holley, legend j120 single stage pump with an a impellor, steel heads that were worked on, and NOW a high volume oil pump. She runs around 72-75 mph depending on weather and the way the water is running and rpms at 5500. She is a closed cooling system due to all the silt in this part of the country.

I have had lots of fun. In the video, I am the blue sport boat. not my best performance at the time, but we will fix that next week with more video.

Tell me more about the cover. Never did hear about that! and I have been studying this motor for a long time.

Talk to you in a bit

YKX
YKX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

FINALLY got the motor back in, had problems with the wiring, fixed that with help from another forum, timed everything again, and off to the lake for the initial test on the trailer.

To no avail, it started, good too, but a minute later something was hitting the flywheel, sounded like the starter was engaging while the motor was running. took off the starter to see that the gears had some damage on the ends.

would I have wired the starter to the selenoid wrong???

Thanks

Silenoid02.jpg
 Description:
Black wire is batt. red and Blue wire is starter
 Filesize:  153.37 KB
 Viewed:  21994 Time(s)

Silenoid02.jpg

motorright.jpg
 Description:
right side of motor
 Filesize:  148.41 KB
 Viewed:  21994 Time(s)

motorright.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: