OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how bout a fx big block class
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max, I think that a person should be on the safe side when you're running an engine on the edge like we'll be, and raise the octane a little. I plan on mixing a little avgas/race fuel in my tank just to insure that we have enough octane and we don't detonate, it won't add any power, just peace of mind Very Happy ! I did this last year when I raced my ZZ4 and it was cheap insurance, I think I calculated it out to about $10 extra per tank of fuel. All it takes is a bad batch of fuel from a gas station to ruin your day Crying or Very sad . I also plan on checking my water seperating fuel filter every day.
WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with any attempt to standarize a class is not that racers wonīt want to run on a standard engine, but deciding WHICH engine is the standard.

Usually, everybody's ideal engine to standarize a class is whatever they have.

The beauty of the SBFX is that it uses an engine that comes assembled by a mayor company like Ford or GM and is readily available from any dealer.

Whatever you guys think on the BBFX, you should ONLY consider engines that come assembled by a mayor company like Ford or GM.

Dean Saxon in the US has been running with the ZZ502 crate engine for 2 years now. (I donīt know if he has used more than one engine over this time) It would be great to know a bit bout his experience. Please post something!!!

allblowdup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Wilson that is why we figured a 620hp/572 crate engine. It gives you the repeatability and availabilty of the GM sold crate engine with the performance of almost an A engine for cheap(well alot cheaper). You guys are right we just have to set a couple up and run them. I bet if they stay together there would be alot of guys interested. Man how I wish it May already. I know missbhaven is good to go and I am just his sandbag so I am in too we just need one or two more racers willing to give it a shot.
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean Saxon's 502 motor is built to spec (Mike Zoller of Performance Motorsports in Medford put the whole package together), NOT crate. In the US rule set we are allowed to build our own, as long as certain criteria are observed. He has used the same motor for 2 seasons now and has amassed enough points this year (ran every leg of every race finishing all but one or two legs in first) to be "crowned" the US National Champion.

Changes oil when and if he thinks about it, puts fuel in and just runs like the devil is chasin' him. Have never seen him do much of anything maintenance or adjustment wise at the events. Just runs the boat. Boat runs consistently between 90-95mph. Mostly 93. He placed well last year at the Worlds running Unlimited. If he had not run out of fuel on one leg I think he might of taken Unlimited. Same program, he who starts and finishes every leg tends to be the winner even if not in the "fastest" boat.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the advantage in Canada to move ahead even if you get no one else to commit. You are going to have to "show them".

You can always run Unlimited (and probably do quite well-if you can start and finish every leg) until some form of BBFX would catch on as its own class. Here in the States we have no provision for Unlimited at the National level. (We are still trying to get Sport Jet acknowledged and included. The SJ's have been running exhibition! Some of the individual race organizers have made a place for them, but no points, purse or title at the National level). It has always taken a pioneer or two and several years to get something beyond the recognized UIM classes. It took a while for FX small block to finally "go". You just have to show folks it's viable and then be patient enough to last until the other guys finally decide that you are right and having more fun for a whole lot less $$$$

Some of our "fear" has been dilution. 15 boats show up and there are 8 different classes. (Unlimited, A, B, C, SJ, FXSB, FXBB and BB572/620). That it is an organizers and promoters nightmare. It is hard enough and way confusing to the spectators with just 4 (A, B, FXSB and FXBB here in the States)

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This certainly isn't going to change over night but I think a good set up would be: Unlimited, 572, SBFX, and SJ. That way anybody who really has deep pockets or wants to run some exotic combination can run in Unlimited, everybody else can run in 572 with a couple of back-up motors, and all of us beginers can learn and play in SBFX and SJ. I should have started in SJ, but I owned a SBFX boat so that's where I started. I can't even keep that thing together. Let's say I get a little more serious in the coming years, there's no way I'm stepping up to B class with a $40,000 motor. I'll stay in FX for the fun. If I got more serious one day and saved up some money I could go to a 572 without too much problem. I'd probably do it with mostly used parts and get my ass handed to me, but I could do it far easier than a B boat. The fast boats bring in the sponsors, spectators and serious racers, but this sport will die unless we find a way to get more racers involved and it has to be done economically. I don't personally see a problem with ZZ502 instead of the 572 if you can go close to 95 with a well set up ZZ502. Just my thoughts as a beginer-Aluminum Squirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: