OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

starter/flywheel problems- help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YKX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: starter/flywheel problems- help Reply with quote

Running out of summer up here in the north. Need some advise

Got a BBF 429 70' that is brand spankin rebuilt ready for the water. Was in the process of timing the motor to break it in when <BANG> after the first minute, then got worse. It sounded like the starter was engaging when the motor was running. shut it down, took the starter off, checked the start teeth, some bent ones and the flywheel teeth looked like they were worked on, not to bad though.

Put the starter back on the motor, connected the wire good, with no play in it, and started the motor in the parking lot, then again after 5 sec, BANG! shut her down.

Can the flywheel be backwards? This is the first time this has happened to me, and I have been through a few starters.

Any advise would be great. Thanks

YKX
Evil or Very Mad
WILSON

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regular flywheel has a stamp that says ENGINE SIDE and that side goes inside. I donīt know about those fancy over the counter flywheels.

Also, if the flywheel has a balancer in the shape of a metal sheet, it usually goes inside.

In your case, I would check that the flywheel is flat. If itīs not, discard and get a new one.

If the flywheel is flat, then the mechanism that brings the gear in the starter back to position is damaged and you need a new starter.

I wish I could think trying something that wonīt cost you, Evil or Very Mad but at the moment thatīs my thought.

WILSON

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made and effort and thought.

I remember a similar problem when I first mounted the engine on the boat and turned out that the flywheel was touching the engine support. Just make sure you have at least 3/8" around the flywheel free, specially on the lower half.

YKX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: engine support?? Reply with quote

do you mean the metal frame between the bellhousing and motor?

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the starter right now. Will keep you updated.

YKX
WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that one. Although I personally donīt have any bellhousing back there...
YKX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: bellhousing Reply with quote

Personally, I would like to do the same as the racers. ALOT easier to look at the back of the motor, check the flywheel out and not play with the STUPID cup that goes between the pump and bellhousing. I guess it is called the uv joing housing. what a pain in the azz when it come to removing and installing the motor.

Who makes these mounts?????

YKX
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, sry to hear you're havin more troubles, you gotta get that thing out on the river!

I run a flexplate on my 460 and never had any problem with it. I can't suggest anything to you at this stage but if you could show some pics maybe???

I have a CNC drawing of the 3/8" plate I had waterjet for the tunnel rear mount if that may help. Its not cut to size on the bottom as I had to install it and then trim. Let me know if its of use for ya. It at least has the bolt holes etc

Cheers

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought a lil more...
on a flexplate there is a 'flat side' and a "not flat side" right in the middle where it slips on the ring on the end of the crank. the flat side faces the motor. I'm guessin this is not your problem tho and would look into what was mentioneda bout flywheel contacting something else. I don't know a thing about a 429/460 flywheel however
You're right , it is nice having the flywheel etc all exposed like this...

Cheers

SBFmotorplate.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.29 KB
 Viewed:  21826 Time(s)

SBFmotorplate.JPG

YKX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Xerophobic and others

Thanks for the advise would would like to take a serious look at that plate if it is for sale. Would only need to fab. an engine mount for the back. Small potatoes. Anyway, I may have found the culperate. the Key ignition wire (batt. wire) was broken off. It would site there for the key to work then come off once the engine started then hit the port while the motor was running causing the starter to jump while the motor was running.

I am going to get this fixed and THEN try again. GOING to make this boat work come hell or high water. Will keep you informed. Xerophobic, do you have a pic of your solenoid for wire hookup? I want to doubel check the hook for me. Here is mine

Silenoid02.jpg
 Description:
wires:
yellow/red: key
Big Red: power to dash
Big Blue: starter
Big Black: Positive Cable Battery
Small Blue: Altenator power
Medium Black: ? but comes from dash.
 Filesize:  153.37 KB
 Viewed:  21776 Time(s)

Silenoid02.jpg

TR Blue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look to me that you have your soleniod wired up wrong.
Alternator wire has to go on positive side of soliniod first of all. If wired in the way it is now once alternator started to put out power it would cause srater to stay engauged. Also you should trace down the black wire to dash. Find out where it goes or comes from. The only wire you should have on the starter side of solenoid should be the big black on running to you starter. Unless you have the Mod Stater with its own solenoid on it. If so then it will have to be wired differnt.

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not the best person to ask cause my starter has the solenoid right on it.
I should get a mini starter sometime just for the weight savings.
As I said i have the CAD file for the plate, it has all the holes u need except the starter unfortunatly. I just laid my old belhousing on the plate and transfer punched the holes for the starter and haven't had any issues yet. Could you find a local shop that does laser cutting or even better waterjet??? I had both plates made for $150 but i provided the CAD file
Get that thing in the water already!
lol
Cheers

YKX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: wiring Reply with quote

TR.

I did do that with the alterator wire, but it fried the ground wire that was from the alterator to the boat. Does the ground wire need to be grounded to the motor?? I didnt think it made a difference.

Xerophobic, SURE! Send me over the specs and I will get the NEW system on my boat. A way better setup for this SH*T. slenoir@nwtafn.com

Thanks guys for everything. I am going to work on the damn thing this pm and see if we can get the thing going.
WILSON

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on grounds:

Yes, make sure every ground cable has a direct connection either with the engine block, or the negative wire terminal. The negative wire from the battery should go direct to the block.

Itīs a good idea to measure electric resistence with a multimeter between all the ground connections and the battery negative terminal. Resistence should be zero or very low. Use heavy wires for grounds and you will avoid a lot of problems with the electronic stuff. (MSDīs, alternators, bilge pumps, etc)

YKX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Wilson for the Advise Reply with quote

Will do that!

Keep you posted!

YKX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: