OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FX Racers and fans opinion poll?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neutered

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: FX Racers and fans opinion poll? Reply with quote

Just a thought that a few of us in the PRBA were kicking around over a rum. The PRBA "may", if there is enough interest run two SBFX classes next year. As it is really easy to see the tunnels are dominating this class now. So we were thinking about running a SBFX Tunnel class and if there is enough interest a SBFX V bottom class.(steptec included) The UIM rules as far as motors and everything else would would be the same. What say you as the racers and the fans? Also is there any interest in a ZZ502 class
production engines from GM only?
allblowdup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great idea but we have enough trouble getting people to fill the classes we have. I realize that as of late the sbfx class is still growing. It could work for a few years until the V bottoms get old enough and fewer and farther between.

The 502 zz engine has some inherent problem as delivered from GM. The class is a great idea but there would have to be engine work allowed for reliability only. The clearances as they come are really tight and there are some issues with the lifters. Other than that they would be great.

That is my .02

FiredUp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be one of those racers interested in the BBFX class if specific engine rules were developed so as to allow for modifications to a ZZ502 for it to become a reliable race engine and not for perfomance improvements. IF that was the case I would throw my hat in the ring for sure. (Hell we are spending 10-15G's a year on rebuilds now, why not spend 15G's on a 95-100 mph motor that will last a few years, maintence free)

My 2 cents as well
sandman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be interested in a BBFX class, common build sheets would have to be decided on. The US boys already have the start to one, interested parties could gather with captain Morgan for a rule set decidin' good time!! Sealed engines maybe? Have the engine builders bid on the rights to certify and seal the engines, place an expenditure cap on the upgrades and have all the same parts. Might need Captain Morgan and his cousin Silent Sam sit in on these meetings!
Will R

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in!but never mind trying to make up new rules just adopt the states ones for it.that way if we want to go down or they want to come up we can without worrying about changing anything to be legal.We should get on this right away and decide though so we can get the engines coming and ready for next year.may be make sure there is definitely three teams committed to it so we have a class.Ill bring the captain and Sam for it Brad!

When in doubt,hammer down!
DOC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maintenance free - now theres an oxymoron !!
HIGH AND DRY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Ford has already thrown in a 502 in his old SBFX boat and I guess was planning on running Unlimited next year to promote BBFX in Canada.
wtraugr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the hull designs and age of all the FX boats, and how they finished @ Peace River before I render a decision on sbfx. I still think the lightweight steptech is a very competitive boat with a lot of good racing left in that hull. Merv George can testify to that thought.

Fired Up hit the nail on the head with the evolution of BBFX. I would love to see that class here in Canada. It is still an affordable class to race in where you can tap speeds of 100mph. I had in length discussions with just this idea with USA BBFX Champ Sam Heath. It would be great if he could chime in, for he has a wealth of first hand info on promoting this class.
Alumaman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 worlds - comprised of 10 tunnels and 4 V bottoms step /step techs
2008 worlds - 3 tunnels, 2 V/step techs
2008 Grande Prairie - 6 tunnels, 3 V/step techs
2008 Peace River - 7 tunnels, 2 V/step techs

If a V bottom class brought out more boats to race, then I would be all for it. .... but my guess is that there won't be the numbers to justify it as a separate class.

BBFX is where I too would like to go. But I would likely only do so if it was a "pure crate" class. We've all see how well SBFX has progressed with a crate only rule.
My opinion is that as long as BBFX requires "built motors" then there will be mistrust and suspected cheater motors. Unfortunately the 502 doesn't last in its factory form. So its built motors or nothing. Sad
While we are discussing numbers, it also appears that there is another emerging trend, that is the decreasing numbers of boats in the U, A, B & C, classes.
Will R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

run it as states rules with the built motor thing but have it as any motor out of spec will be auctioned off at the event,proceeds go to local charity and motor owner gets a receipt of sale,like i seen in the GP program for sbfx.Is a win really a win if you have to cheat to get it?I had a good bs session with Sam Heath last night about bbfx.He is about to build another bbfx boat and says that if we adopt the states rules on it he will definitely be making it to Canada next year.He say that if we adopt the bbfx rules he will push for them to adopt our sbfx rules and if we need any help at all with setting up the class or any questions on it he would be more than glad to help out.
RPM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't see how zz4 class is any less likely to have rule benders in it than any other class . just cause a motor looks like a stocker doesn't mean it hasn't been ported , compression raised and blueprinted . and the stock springs will handle a cam that is going to give you at least 200 more rpm with everything else the same including the stamped rockers . if you don't believe me try a off the shelf comp 280HR . a custom grind with more duration at the same lift would likely give even more ! the factory sealed circle track crate engines would be the only way i can think of cause nobody expects or wants the tech guys to be tearing down engines to go over them with a microscope and unfortunately somebody that cheats know it . what about min. weights including crews so that a guy that likes his steak and has a std. wt. hull has a chance . one of the reasons for the crate engine rule was to keep cost down and now if you don't have a new light wt. tunnell which are the most money and least durable you're probably 5 mph slow even with everything set-up right . not trying to knock Eagle or the teams running them , it's cool to see the speeds there getting with the stock zz4 in them , just don't think it's the right way for the class . so to answer the posts question either make a wt. rule or give the other boats another class
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPM wrote:
i don't see how zz4 class is any less likely to have rule benders in it than any other class . just cause a motor looks like a stocker doesn't mean it hasn't been ported , compression raised and blueprinted . and the stock springs will handle a cam that is going to give you at least 200 more rpm with everything else the same including the stamped rockers . if you don't believe me try a off the shelf comp 280HR . a custom grind with more duration at the same lift would likely give even more ! the factory sealed circle track crate engines would be the only way i can think of cause nobody expects or wants the tech guys to be tearing down engines to go over them with a microscope and unfortunately somebody that cheats know it . what about min. weights including crews so that a guy that likes his steak and has a std. wt. hull has a chance . one of the reasons for the crate engine rule was to keep cost down and now if you don't have a new light wt. tunnell which are the most money and least durable you're probably 5 mph slow even with everything set-up right . not trying to knock Eagle or the teams running them , it's cool to see the speeds there getting with the stock zz4 in them , just don't think it's the right way for the class . so to answer the posts question either make a wt. rule or give the other boats another class

You should have seen how fast "Eight Track" was both in GP and PR in the SBFX class and it's an old Kwikkraft Shocked . Again, I think it shows that the people who spend the time to tune their hulls are rewarded with a very competitive boat and that's how I think any successful classes need to be designed Take the advantage away from the guy with the deep pockets who can build a superior motor and give the advantage to the dedicated racer that puts the time into getting the speed advantage out of their setup. This also makes racers become innovative (eg, front canards, different style nozzles, grates, impellers, hull mods, etc.)and if these innovations are successful, it usually helps the sport as a whole.

Itsworthit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the BBFX class, very interested in it and am looking at doing it anyways
Neutered

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if so many are interested in BBFX what will be the best way to set up the motors so it won't just become cheque book racing like most of the other classes. The ZZ4 crate motor only in Canada seems to be working fine, my opinion for BBFX is to keep it simple also with only one kind of engine platform. Just my 2 cents.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a crate class only just as the sbfx is. That is not to say that you cannot take it apart and make sure that it is balanced, and that the clearances are correct. Or if you want to you can just run it right out of the crate. It is the same in the sbfx class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: