OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another happy uhmw wear ring customer.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Another happy uhmw wear ring customer. Reply with quote

Had a chance to put one of Norris's UHMW wear rings to the test last week. I was extremely impressed. A huge improvement in boat performance is realized with the first hit of the throttle. The boat turns much better ( I didn't think it would as it is a 16 deg bttm). It comes out of the hole quickly, and stays on plane at a much lower RPM. The product delivers on every thing as claimed. Norris is excellent to deal with , his turnaround time quick, and his product delivers as claimed, I'm sure it is the best money you can spend on a Sportjet. I had the wear ring installed because of an endorsement from another member of this forum and I highly recommend others give it a go.
Skinnydipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ever get a chance to grind gravel with it......though I'm not suggesting that should be the goal?
mountainman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a bit of gravel and sand through mine and haven't noticed any drop in performance as of yet. They really do make a difference on hole shot and handling of the boat.
I would suggest you get one Skinny with all the gravel you pump through yours Cool The difference on turns will make you smile too.
Taiga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why there was so much controversy over this, I did the UHMW wear ring in both a 16' and 18' boat with 240's and it is an improvement over the stainless. They last a long time with plenty of trash pumped. The sportjets leave something to be desired though, I'll never go back to them.
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: sportjets Reply with quote

Hi Taiga;
Could you elaborate a little on the sport jet comment?
I'm thinking of selling the big boat and getting into something smaller.

Sport jet was kinda on my list.
Thanks
Emery

Taiga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your boating style I guess, I found that the little pumps did not perform adequate for longer trips with the boat loaded and packing lots of fuel and gear, and the boats are typically smaller to begin with limiting space also. They are fine for going out with the family for a few hours though or playing. The 240 is a great engine, the optimax I would be wary of due to the oil requirements and cost.
gary weaver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: uhmw Reply with quote

I have used the wear ring in my boat for the last two seasons and have gone on trips exceeding 200 miles with Duane Longfellow of RLS marine, and would recommend this wear ring to anyone running a sport jet. Better fuel mileage and less wear. Boat loaded with cheese, beer, peanut butter and crown. Probably going to add one to baby bud, I am tired of changing them in and out for racing.
Cheers to all,
gw

bonecracker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haqve to agree that Norris is top notch and his product increases performance.
I got a uhmw ring from Norris in May and the performance notice has been dramatic to say the least. I haven't posted a review on it because i haven't run my boat in the gravel as much as normal. I do know that i put 50 hrs on the insert and the motor is still hard to turn over out of the water on a hot day. That tells me the tolerances are still pretty good! Shocked stick the back end in the water and it loosens up. I have worn out 1 stainless insert with this boat and the stainless never had the performance this insert has no matter how tight i could get the tolerances on the stainless.

Skinnydipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys Cool

I don't mean this to be a controversy, some are still skeptical so these first hand user reports are ones that I prefer if I'm going to use this product in the future.
Sounds like it has some duration pumping dirt..........that's what I'm looking for Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

Skinnydipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: sportjets Reply with quote

Rapidchaser wrote:
Hi Taiga;
Could you elaborate a little on the sport jet comment?
I'm thinking of selling the big boat and getting into something smaller.

Sport jet was kinda on my list.
Thanks
Emery

Smaller boat Emery..........now we're talking.......then you can pound rocks with the Dipper Cool Cool Mr. Green Mr. Green

allblowdup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know we make them for the outboard jets also with even better results as you can shim them right to zero clearance. A 200 won't even spin out on take off. Norris and I have been working on this together.
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dipper, I hear Ya!
The smaller boat is a little more forgiving.
It's not hard to become committed with the bigger boat. Rolling Eyes
Although Ive been places where it was no wider than my boat. Laughing

Great fishing and hunting boat but getting too big for this old fart
(meaning me of course) Wink

shallowman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: uhmw wear rings Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good reviews on this product I wish that Mercury would look at this and make it a after market part then you racers could run in your boats
as far as gravel and sand goes we have a fellow here that I just took his pump apart and there is NO one that pumps more gravel and sand thru a pump than this guy does for all who knows him his name is Calvin Mcinnis
on the hour meter it shows 179 hrs and that is what this wear ring has one it as I put it in when the boat was brand new I measured the tolerance and it is now 35 thou. when I put it in it was 7 thou. a brand new
wear ring and impeller is has a clearance of 30 to 50 thou. depends on the housing and casting
and also one more note the water holes did not smear shut lol
for more info contact me at norkar@telus.net
lets go boating

Let'er buck Laughing
Alumaman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norris, is the current 35 thou clearance from impeller wear or does the UHMW wear, or is it a combination of the two? And how do you tighten it back up, new liner with smaller ID or build up the impeller?
Thanks.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked it and the wear ring wore about .010 and the trailing edge of the impeller was about .020 but the leading edge was only .005. We will just build up the impeller and cut the wear ring slightly larger (.020) and he will be back to new condition (.003-.005). Not bad for 187 hrs of abuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: