OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinkproofing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angler1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Sinkproofing Reply with quote

Hey guys, after a very scary adventure on Lake Athabasca last summer I was thinking of sinkproofing my 18 ft. bobcat. How much weight does it add? Who does it? Lastly, how much money does it cost? Appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks. Brazeau Brian Cool
Egger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Lake Athabasca Reply with quote

What happened that scared the poop out of you Question
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our factory floatation packages are blown in foam. That process may be tricky on a hull which is already fully rigged.
A dealer of ours is about to undertake an experiment using the old time tale of ping pong balls which sounds very promising, cost effective and likely relatively neat and easy to manage in a boat which is already constructed.
If you want to give us a call in a few weeks for an update I will try to keep my ears peeled for what progress he is making.

Cheers

MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of 14 X 24 tractor tubes or some of the water inflatable tubes
angler1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Lake Athabasca Reply with quote

Hey there Egger, we were coming back from a fishing trip around the islands near Uranium City when the wind came up. We were running 7-8 ft .waves with the odd rogue wave thrown in for measure. We had to do 34 kms by the GPS although it seemed alot longer. We had waves regularly breaking over the bow, riding in troughs deep enough that when you looked out the side windows all you could see were walls of very cold water. Thank God for that sloped back top, it took a lot of water and shed it quickly. Without it we would have capsized for sure. I was never so happy to see Fort Chip and a safe harbor. We had to wait over another day before we could cross over to the delta and back up the Athabasca to Shell landing. Brazeau Brian
HOOLIGAN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One jet I had ( yes fiberglass) I replaced stringers and all the wood. In the process I had to pull all the factory foam( that was a bitch!) Instead of going the spray in route again ( cause it would have to be done again someday) I opted to buy a 3x4 block of that blue foam used to float docks. I had it cut into manageable pieces that were 4" x 4' and proceeded to stuff it anywhere out of sight it would fit. I think the whole deal cost 300 bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: