OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a jet boat run @ 80+ mph for 5 hours?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SST45Driver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Can a jet boat run @ 80+ mph for 5 hours? Reply with quote

Hello all! I am new to this style of racing and was blown away when I typed in "outlaw eagle jet boat" on You Tube... Instant Wood! Twisted Evil I was fascinated that an aluminum, Modified TUNNEL jet boat moved so well through the water.
I currently race circle boats on water that doesn't even compare to the water these boats can endure. With that being said, Idea every year of the last three years we have entered into a 300 mile endurance race. I am a Mercury outboard guy that has finished the race 10Th(battery broke), 2ND(out matched) and 2ND(lost bye 1 lap) overall. Every jet boat that entered into the race broke. I don't know why and all my friends think I'm crazy but I would like to be the first jet boater to win this race. It seems that the people on this board may be able to help me achieve this goal.

Can anyone answer the following questions:

1) I have seen for sale a short jet boat with a 240 mercury v-6 in them. Has anyone put a S3000 Mercury Drag engine in a jet boat?

2) Will the pump hold up to 350 - 400 hp?

3) Does anyone make a short modified tunnel boat other then 21'?

4) What is the top speed of a jet boat with the 240 merc / jet configuration?

If that doesn't pan out I have these questions Very Happy

1) Does anyone have a 21' tunnel for sale cheap or be willing to sponsor/rent the boat for the race with or without engine?

2( How much horsepower will be needed to push the 21' though the water @ 85 mph?

3) Since I have two 180 Deg. turns on both ends of the course is there any pump configuration that will work well for this race?

4) If I was to find all of these parts and put the boat together, I guess I only have one last question... WILL IT LAST 300 MILES Question
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure more than a few people on this forum have looked at this type of racing and felt our jets would do very well. Many questions to answer, some easier than others. Please give me a call at the office tomorrow and we can discuss some options.

James@403-347-4565 (or PM me a number to reach you at)

Cheers

(I dont think the sportjet is the way to attack this but I sure do feel an alloy hull IS)

Alumaman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome 1SST45Driver,

1) Hot sportjet motors?...Probably none that will admit to it. The suped-up stuff that works for outboard prop's cant handle the harshness of a jet.

2) The pump last?...Yes, because the motor will likely blow up long before the pump

3) Short tunnels available?...Call Outlaw Eagle, they make anything imaginable and have some cheap used hulls

4) Top speed?... In a zero gravity environment, fed fuel from an overhead helicopter, and not attached to a boat, the sport jet package could theoretically do 70mph, but best "true" speed in about 63mph with just enough boat wetted to feed the pump

or these questions

1) Cheap?...All jet boats are cheap. Women are expensive.

2) How much HP?...400 hp should make 85mph, provided the total setup was not to heavy

3) Turning & pump setup...Tunnels like turning, just make it go fast, hold the pedal down, and turn the wheel

4) Last 300 miles?...easy that's only 2 1/2 hours in an unlimited class boat. Our marathons are 600 miles.

That's my 2 cents, hope this helps, some humor inserted, but no sarcasm intended.

Tell us more of the type of racing you mentioned. Lake or river circuit? What classes and restriction? Where?
Kev-o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was a wizard or two messing with supercharging the Merc 240 sport jet. would that put you in a different class though?
allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't supercharge a two stroke but you can turbo. The fx boats are are very close to 85 mph and are running 355hp zz4 chebys.
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Tom fooled around with a 240 SJ and a pro-charger, but had limited success with it. It did run a lot faster but it could not deliver enough fuel. It was tough on pistons if my memory serves me correct.

SJ Procharger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.47 KB
 Viewed:  25867 Time(s)

SJ Procharger.jpg

SJ Procharger3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.35 KB

SJ Procharger3.jpg

SJ Procharger2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.53 KB

SJ Procharger2.jpg

SST45Driver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses fellas, I appreciate them.

1st James, I will give you a call... I have read a lot of your posts and know your very knowledgeable. Thanks

2ND to the joker; Everyone needs a sense of humor and yours is well... UNIQUE! Very Happy. Seriously, Thanks a lot for your input your answers actually helped me out. In an effort to keep humor alive, Riddle me this Bat Man:

You said the pump will outlast the engine... How much rpm does the 240 merc turn? My motors turn 8600 all day long.

Is it possible to build the pump around the engine max power output? This may sound like a dumb question but I do not know how much the merc pump can be modified or even if it is a merc pump. I had heard of pre-loading the pump by placing a jet ski impeller in front of the main impeller. Can that be done on the merc configuration?

Last but not least, our course is 5 a mile oval which means that we are wide open for at Least 2 miles each direction only allowing for the engine to cool a little before mashing back into it. The guys that win are the guys that don't need to lift! The video clips that I've watched of your river racing were limited and short. The clips showed a lot of on / off throttle action thus maybe allowing the engine to keep cool and last. Our 2.5 hours of running has about 2 hours of wide open (85 mph+) throttle. Believe me when I say it takes its tole of equipment.

3rd Those are awesome shots of the 240. You said that it ran out of fuel? What year was it? Were the fuel settings richened?
I think I have seen something like that at Simon motorsports years ago. If I can get my camera going, I'll send you guys some shots of my mercury powered off road car. And yes it runs good! Very Happy

Sorry for the long posts but I try to be thorough.

Thanks for your time.
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your racing is forward turn left repeat by the time you get done you have a natural hook left when you walk.James is the head Alloy Advocate he has been trying to help bring light to the fiberglass infected.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread but the reason that supercharging two strokes does not work is because the exhaust port is still open after the intake port closes. You loose all the boost pressure out the exhaust port. A turbo supplies the extra back pressure needed to hold in the boost.
Alumaman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

240's run at in the 5800 to 6100 range depending on boat setup and motor/pump condition. But on average 6000.
The motor and the pump are integral to each other, like and outboard. The EFI 240 (no longer in production) uses the 2.5 liter merc block and the new DFI 250 Opti uses the 3.0 liter block. I' not positive if the two motors are interchangeable with the pump. The Opti has taller gears.
Merc pumps are volume pumps, so inherently they are already very good at grabbing water. With good clearances they pull hard. My opinion...inducers help the low end of pressure pumps.
The 240 comes stock with a 4 blade impeller, switching to a 3 blade will provide some speed gains but at a slight loss in bottom end. Another area to play with is in the gear box.
The merc pumps can be opened up .125" in radius by building up the impeller and sleeving out the wear ring. The RPM comes off by about 150 due to more loading. Thus more power and rpm would help.
Some of our race legs are 70 miles. The 240's ran start to finish wide open. No cooling issues, but the motors are stock. Class rules. Also on the 240, the expansion chamber is a very crude can that is conservatively wet. These can be "dry stacked" which will help. A Brucato box would add some HP.
It’s likely that a 240 could be modified to make a lot more power than they do in stock form. The river guys haven’t spent much time wondering on this as most of these engines are in pleasure boats. Also they are not cheap, $12000. The SP2500 class race was starting to get a following but then Merc discontinued the line.
My comment on the motor not lasting was based on taking a 240 boosting the HP and then subjecting it to our typical river conditions. Lots of loading and unloading, and cavitation.
But an 85 MPH sport jet would be sweet!!!
DOC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah just what you idiots need an 85mph sport jet, i can read the headlines now !!
DOC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah just what you idiots need an 85mph sport jet, i can read the headlines now !!
Cavefish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the two-stroke stuff but it sounds like the ideal boat would be something like a BBFX boat with 60 gallon tanks. If I have it right, you guys are required to make at least one fuel stop and that would work out about right. Otherwise, I would expect a properly prepped BBFX boat to leave the line at WOT and not lift until you ran out of gas. They are bumping 100 mph at this time, and use a crate 502/502 with some machine work on the lifter bores and roller rockers. This is in a 21 foot Eagle tunnel. If 85 is all you need, put a big impeller in it, use less fuel and load less fuel. An SBFX boat is doing all it can do to maintain 85. What are the engine rules?
Been sort of following the Parker Enduro for a few years. I'd sure like to see this done with a whitewater hull!

wetahawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: wizards info Reply with quote

Bald Man wrote:
Rob & Tom fooled around with a 240 SJ and a pro-charger, but had limited success with it. It did run a lot faster but it could not deliver enough fuel. It was tough on pistons if my memory serves me correct.

Can some one please inform me a little more about what the wizards did to the sj? like: what sort of pro charger was used? how much boost? is that a pix of a inter cooler box? did they do any injecter changers? or efi mapping changers? rpms?
Dale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alot of advice to be given here... DO NOT try to do this. it did not work at all. 3 piston killed in 3 differnt runs. $18-20 000 burned up in less than 3 hours. very little power increase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: