OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SBFX gets UIM official recognition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alumaman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: SBFX gets UIM official recognition Reply with quote

The long awaited sanctioning of the small block FX class by UIM has finally arrived.

This whole FX subject has been quiet for some time now but with the 2008 worlds drawing closer the timing of this decision from UIM is very appropriate.

A lot of discussion has taken place surrounding the importance of FX. One thing that many said was that FX was the best chance the sport had to bring new blood into the jet boat racing arena. Prior to the 2007 Worlds in Canada many opinions and variations of the FX definition were hotly debated. For anyone new to the planet the discussions revolved around “Crate ZZ4” versus a “Built ZZ4” versus a “ZZ4 equivalent”. All options had their benefits and each had its own following espousing the righteousness of their chosen definition.

The UIM web site has online the 2008 rules for Circuit - Jet River which is viewable in PDF and on page 333 describes the UIM inclusion of FX as a recognized class.

To me this is a huge accomplishment and credits must go out to all those involved in collaborating to write a rule set which is aimed at providing the FX class with the best chance to succeed and grow in each of the 4 national associations. I like to use the word “collaboration” and not “compromise” as a compromise suggests a winner and a looser.

The 2008 rule book download is a 2.7 meg file, but in brief the FX class is primarily based on the “Crate ZZ4” concept. This satisfies those whose believe that the crate rule is the best choice…as does Canada, and as evidenced by 14 FX boats in the 2007 worlds.

But hold on there’s more….the new UIM FX rules also state that “Built engines” or “other xyz engines” are acceptable provided that they are sanctioned as being equivalent to the crate ZZ4.

It’s likely not a surprise that I prefer the crate engine philosophy, but I can also accept that this new UIM FX class has adopted a flexible position to allow this class to continue its evolution. Time will tell…no…boats registering for FX races will tell, and in turn influence the future of the FX class.

My only worry is that this flexibility in the rules now puts even more pressure on the national authorities to ensure that their allowance and inclusion of the non-crate definition can withstand the bulletin board test. The potential for FX racers to perceive an unlevel playing field still exists.

So …that’s my blog on the subject. One thing that we should all agree to agree on is that racing lives and grows only through the work and dedication of its volunteers, so my thanks to those who worked to get this approved by the general assembly.

Bottom line FX is a UIM class……..ya gotta like it!!! Smile Smile Smile
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great accomplishment by the volunteers that got this class officially recognized by the UIM. I think that this will be looked back as a monumental turning point for our sport and finally the beginning of a time of strong growth, instead of languishing as it has for years because of its high cost to be competitive.

Also, I hope "335 hp" is a misprint.

DOC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you see 335 hp ?
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Circuit rules about 1/2 way down on page 334 under "Engine" info.
DOC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully its a misprint.
WILSON

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

335 HP IS a misprint. A couple of them throughout the entire set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: