OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how bout a fx big block class
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allblowdup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: how bout a fx big block class Reply with quote

Looks like the fx small block class is starting to take off. It would be great if we could also have a fx big block class . I think that it might bring alot of the fun and action of a faster boat closer to the budget of the slower boats. Anyone have any thoughts?
WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...they have one in the U.S., with not many boats showing up.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I ever make it west I hope to god we have BBFX class here cause thats what I'd aim for personally. Seems to make alot of sense with the older boats who want the speed without spending a fortune on a motor. I guess its easy to win your class if you're the only boat there lol
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
cheers

MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at the lack of response in the US. I have talked to a few guys up here and it looks very promising for a BBFX class up here for next year. I hope interest grows down south as I would like to race in this class in the Worlds down there in 2008(?). Wilson, any talk about it down in Mexico?
WILSON

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big block FX is still a long way to go in Mexico.

About the worlds, Next year, 2006, we will host the worlds. 2007 should be Canada and 2008 the U.S.

Most probably the worlds will be the Balsas in November. However, there has been talk of making it at the Usumacinta river, around March.

Personally, I do like the idea of a big block FX. And in terms of races in Mexico, we are pretty open: If 4 or more boats show up, we open the class. So start convincing people and we will put it on.

Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a BBFX class is the way to go. After everyone get sick of the over spending that is required to win a race or even compete in a race then maybe it will happen. The sport is going to die off due to the lack of new people being able to justify the cost. Just look at the results from the 2 races this year in Canada. Half the field didn't finish the each race. How fun can that be? Spending 50K on 2 hrs of blasting up the river. It's time that we all get together and figure out what will work. The SBFX is affordable, but not fast enough with the rivers we run. The BBFX guys re running mid 90's, so that is getting a little more exciting. The answer is not spending more cash to run 115 mph for only half the leg then float the rest of it. This is not drag racing. Reliable engines that finish are the way to go. Big rant, but I'm a little pist about selling my boat still.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that my be good how about stepping it up a notch. Lets say 572 620hp class. The engine has alot better parts and is still way cheaper. It would run on pump gas, no valve adjustments, wet sump, rpms would be about 5400 and I am sure we could make 100 mph with 620 hp. Parts would more plentiful also it could run an inexpensive mech fuel pump and. We could probably have a spare engine and still be cash ahead then even a B motor. All engines would have to be as recieved crate engines with only mabey a oil pan change for more quantity. The motors I,m sure would be reliable and would still give us and the spectators woodys/headlights from the rough idle and 572 on the valve cover not to mention the 100+ mph speeds. The 502 would be ok but it does not have the same appeal to the spectators and the racers and is slightly less in cost.
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with ALLBLOWEDUP and I may be repeating some of the things he has already said but I think that this is a much more economical way to race and at a decent speed.. The 572/620 is only about $5,000 more than the 502 and is far superior in both value and ruggedness of parts, eg - superior roller valvetrain and heads, stronger crank and H-Beam rods, better mechanical secondary carb, better ignition, and the list goes on. The engine could be ran at it's peak hp at a low 5500, the hydraulic valvetrain would require virtually no maintenance compared to a solid lifter style, plus the 620's cam is quite small, allowing lighter valve springs, causing much less stress on the valves, seats, cam and basically every other part of the top end. Being able to run on Premium (9.6 - 1 compression) or even aviation fuel would have saved me over $2,500 this year alone. All a person needs to buy is a larger oil pan and a mechanical fuel pump (no expensive dry sump system)and you're ready to go. It would be quite easy to monitor the equality of the engines if they all had to be bone stock crate engines with absolutely no mods or part substitutions (except for a larger oil pan). I could have a spare engine sitting in the back of my truck and still have less invested than owning a single A or B engine. If you didn't want to have a spare engine a guy could get started with a good used hull and trailer at about $20,000 - $25,000, and the motor at about $15,000, plus about $3000-$5,000 in miscelaneous items. This could get a guy started racing at around 100 +/- mph for $38,000 - $45,000 (CDN) IN TOTAL!! Hell, you would have a tough time buying and running just the engine in A or B class, never mind buying a boat and running it for a year. I would think that this would gain a lot of interest in the sport from people sitting on the fence thinking about getting into it and maybe other racers that are also sick and tired of the outragous engine and fuel expenses. It would be hard to set up a newer competitive 80 +/- ZZ4 Fx boat and engine for much less.

Sorry to ramble, but as you can see I'm pretty enthusiastic about trying to start an BBFX class. I'm having trouble finding any negative reasons not to start this class.
MaxPower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is going to have to bag on a 572/620 and see if they last. I'm pretty sure (in Whitecourt anway) if a few guys were dedicated to run an experimental 572fx class and some boats showed up, they'd be allowed to run. Itsworhit, would they be allowed in?
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they would need a minimum of 3 boats to form a class, or they would have to run in Unlimited.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He bald man do you think that we could get you back in the river running fast enough with a 620 hp 572. It sure would be alot cheaper than what most guys a forking out right now to go that fast.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to rain on the parade, but last year in Whitecourt, Gordon Humphrey's ZZ572 blew up right away and so did Terry Sharkeys. Seems to me they were not designed for jet boat racing. If 2 BBFX pre register for BBFX in Peace River next year, we will make a class.

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord said that his blewup because of something he did and also I am pretty sure that they were both 720hp/572 which runs alot more cam and runs alot higher rpm 6250@peak. I know that the 720hp/572 had some trobles with the lifter bores being to tight but I thought it was only the 720hp/572. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try them. I know that we will run one if we can get at least one other racer preferably two to run one also. How about it guys we have blown alot more money on worse ideas before.
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok DAWG, I have a good rain suit. From what I understand, the motor blowing up was not entirely the motors fault and the early 620's did have some issues, specifically with lifter clearance, which I think is what happened to Terry's motor. Like any new product, it takes time to get the bugs out and after basically 2 full years of production, I would like to think that these issues have been rectified.

I'm going to phone the company that assembles these engines for GM to see if they will release any information to me, last time I talked to them, they were a little tight lipped when I asked who specifically builds all the the internal components of the 620. They also were a little miffed that I found out who they were. Anyways, if we blow up a motor and determine that these engines aren't going to work, I'm sure that it could be repaired and sold, and it would still cost less to run a season then running a $40,000-$50,000 A or B engine. So, you could probably replace the engine every year with a brand new one and it would probably still be less expensive then running an A or B engine.

I might be proven wrong but I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and try the class if we can get more boats.
MaxPower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Gord's was a 720 hp, and as far as I know it was the rod for #1 that kept letting go. I heard something about no rev limiter and cavitation back then at Wct. ,can't expect it to hold together at 10,000 rpm. (just what I heard). I think it's a good idea BlowedUp and MissB. Maybe even a schmuck like me could afford that. And with 9.6:1 and alum. heads you wouldn't even need avgas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: