OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water inyected headers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Water inyected headers Reply with quote

I was going through a boating magazine (thanks, Gary) and I came with the following question regarding those fancy water inyected headers (I've never had one).

What happens if you just DON'T connect any water to those headers???

It seems there are two types: One seems to just inyect water to the exhaust tube (Why doesnīt the water damage the engine valves???) Or probably i'm confused with a pyrometer gauge connection Shocked

In the other, the exhaust tube is inside another tube where water flows.

So: what happens if you donīt put any water there?? How much water do you need??

Just wondering

allblowdup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the injected type you need to run a one way popoff valve so that the water only injects at above idle or low rpm when there is enough velocity/volume to cary the water out the header. If you don't then yes water can enter the engine causing lots of problems. The othe type is water jacketed and it has a sealed chamber that the water runs in seperate from the exhaust gas. If you were to unhook the water completely from the injected type the headers would get hot and discolour and it would also be alot louder as the water does act as a muffler.
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran a set of water injected Bassett's back in the mid 70's on a V-Drive. Used a thru-hull scoop with a gate valve in the line. That way no water injected into the header unless you were moving at over 20 mph and your RPM's were up. Used the gate valve to regulate the amount of water injected. Basically a "set once and leave it" kind of deal. Would get running and then turn the valve down to achieve the sound level reduction we were after. It also cools the header so folks would not get burned (had exposed over the transom headers with an exposed motor). Chromed header pipes would turn blue right to the point of injection. The injectors were also located at the lowest point in the header tubes. Header tubes were bent to provide a quite low place in them. The 1000+ degree (F) exhaust gas would vaporize all the water and in several years of running we never had water in the cylinders or ruined any exhaust valves. But the danger is real. You just have to be aware and think about it. Could quickly close the valve down if need be.

The water jacketed headers (like Lightnings) use the same concept as Kodiak (and the other jacketed exhaust manifolds) except they are actual headers. They use the water in a jacket around the actual "tube" that carries the exhaust to achieve cooling for the exhaust headers. Basically designed for enclosed engine situations. It also somewhat knocks down the noise from the header "ping" of the exhaust gasses. They then can inject the water into the collector area (far from the valves) for muffling. In enclosed situations dry headers are a tragedy waiting to happen.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the Basset thru transoms which are water injected. I use an RPM activated switch off the MSD triggering a water solenoid at around 1700 rpm. Has worked fairly well so far other than some messups due to my own stupidity. The headers get real hot real quick if it stops working so my advice is run your plug wires as tho the headers are dry anyway!
It does make it quite a bit quieter.
I'll try to post pics of my setup. The engine bay looks alot better now that both tanks are in
Cheers

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea I forgot if the water stops and you run dry on injected headers the chrome goes blue and weird coloured, and that can happen pretty fast. Mine were a little messed up when I bought them(used) and they are a little worse now. Luckily I don't care much cause Im guessing keeping them perfect is a huge pain!!
Oil from fingerprints when people touch em, and they always do, permanantly marks em when they get hot unless you wipe them clean before startup...... everytime
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Cheers

YKX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: headers Reply with quote

I seen guys in the FX class using inverted headers from trucks. What is the difference on these other than weight and pricewise?

Thanks

YKX
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question there YKX haha
the Bassets I run are about $950 USD new, alot more than any truck header!. They are a very nice peice but if you are going to run dry there would be no point as half the flash of these headers is the chrome plating which seems to be very well done(Ive heard its 'triple chrome plated" which really means that the nickle base they apply before the chrome itself is alot thicker than on normal chrome, they basically leave it in the nickle tank 3 times longer during the process which really helps in rust prevention)
Truck/car headers would work fine I suppose if the shape worked for your application flipped upside down. I will state again that since a boat runs high rpm for extended periods of time the headers get VERY hot. (mine glow bright orange from the head up to the water injector port visable at nite) and as such you can easily melt/burn plug wires and plastic wire looms if they are not routed properly and/or protected from the heat. Don't ask me how I know this!!!!
I can comment on how much performance I gained once i get the good motor back in the boat. I ran manifold(lofs) in the last hull with the same motor.
You could certainly easily weld in a injector port on a set of truck headers and inject water as normal which would quiet them down and cool them. Not too sure how long a set of regular steel headers would last doin that tho. Im guessing not very long

Cheers

Myheaders.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.44 KB
 Viewed:  18870 Time(s)

Myheaders.jpg

YKX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Nice Pic Reply with quote

Nice headers!

What a cost run you up for a set of those babies?

YKX
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a rather good deal on them used from a guy in Missouri
paid $550 US but new thay are around $900+

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: