OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rocky Mountain House Boat Launch closed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shallow draft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Rocky Mountain House Boat Launch closed Reply with quote

Well ....TransAlta closed access to the boat launch on the west side of the river today. I suspect it was due to pressure from Alberta Environment.
Large cement barriers were placed in front of the launch with "No tresspassing" signs put up.
A good thing for boaters and the public has been taken away. The garbage was picked up and the the area generally cleaned up. Now it can go back to the partiers and drug dealers. The area was a pig sty and was being cleaned up and a garbage can placed there and looked after.

The east side of the river is a complete screw up for boats. It is shallow and has large rocks in it. Just perfect for smashing boat trailer lights and bending axles. This is all before your boat gets off the trailer then the bridge pillars and water intake beacome an issue all compounded by shallow water.
It is only a matter of time before the RMCP have to respond to a conflict or an accident at this site.

A few more calls to the town [403-845-2866] or the chamber of commerce [403-845-5450] might help the process of the town getting to lease or purchase this land from TransAlta.

Maybe a little info about the $$$$ spent on riverboat fuel to Tourism and Economic Developmet[403-845-5260] might also help.

One very real safety issue is, if there is ever another call from Search and Rescue, there will be a problem getting boats in the water in a safe and timely manner. Oh Well there are lots of helicopters available.

A big warm "three coil" thank you to Alberta Environment and TransAlta!!!!!

Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really sucks. Those government people forget who they work for and who pays the bills. Bastards. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Nothing that makes good sense to 99% of the tax payers, makes sense to the tax recievers.
They can take a big long suck on my @#&%*&!.
Hines

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an example, two boats 4 to 6 people, with gas, food, drinks etc. approx 500 to 600 dollars just for a day trip. Guess where that money was spent. NO MORE, buy in red deer bypass rocky of to saunders or nordegg, thanks to those AHOLES who were involved in closeing the launch. I sure hope we don't lose anybody on the river because you can't get a boat on the river safely. Later.
shallow draft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 5-600/day for a couple of boats would be about right. The problem is those that are the problem here [Alberta Environment person Mike Revie] and TransAlta are not in the bussiness of selling boat gas and food. What I don't understand is the Town and the Chamber of Commerce not wanting to promot another industry that attracts a cash flow to a town. Particularily in a time of O/G slowdown.
We are trying to work with TransAlta for some resolution to this.

MikeSpike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Pushing Their Weight Around Reply with quote

Who owns the land that has the access or the road to the launch? I recall a issue of some land owners trying to stop public fishing access to the shores of a stream - they were pushing their weight around and eventually hoping to charge for access. But legally their land ownership ends at the highwater mark and anyone can legal walk along the shore provided its below the highwater mark. ---- so I don't think that any company can own a private only launch as that would be below the highwater mark. The issue then is of who owns the access road. Not sure if even Alberta Enviroment has the jurisdiction to block a public road much less trans alta. I'm not a lawyer-just don't like where the issue of where access is going in all sectors - same issues with hunting access and fishing access.

Elite assh01es would like to turn this country into a version of what is in Europe - the rich clubs and membership, public lands access in private control - hang you for shooting the King's deer type of senario-each section of the productive trout stream controlled by a club with members paying $$$$$ for a membership and a scheduled week fishing allotment.
The Peta type crowd along with gov't beauracrats and the "NO FOOTPRINT" enviromentalists end up selling us all out to this process.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Mike , and Dave, to me its not about the dollars, its about the people that have no common sense, or the spine to be objective in their roll they call a career. because of that they are inpacting the lives of others that live in this land of freedom and opportunity! and ME, does it make sense that people have used that side of the river to launch boats for 30 years? I wonder why they chose that side? when they put the new bridge in blocking off the old launch, doesn't it make sense to put in a new one for the existing users? try blocking off the road to the golf course!! does this new launch create any more liability that the old one? with the increased use of the river by floaters and canoes doesn't it make sense to seperate the types of users at the access points for a safety factor or to have boats there to rescue when needed? Whats the big friggen deal Mike Reevie, instead of trying to be a guiding help ( a public servents job ?)it looks like you're sitting behind your desk pumping your pants. let me in on your next job revue
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... sorry for the rant... I sound like a cross between a greenie,a preacher, and Fidel Castro... can you tell I'm pissed?

Vote for me !
jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: launch Reply with quote

It all sucks !
I went to Rocky last year and drove onto the river bank in the evening with a truck -camper boat , parked lit a fire and called it home for the night . The next day the wife and I went for a five day camping trip using the boat and leaving the rest parked on shore . We returned and all was in order , no vandalism or theft or warnings from the law etc.
Point is , is this the area that is closed ? I just found a spot where you can drive onto the shoreline . I did not know there was a specific boat launch site ?!
shallow draft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack

I am not sure where you launched. There is a spot down stream from the bridge in town on the west side of the river that is sort of accessable. Here you have to back into the water quiet a ways to float off the trailer. The site in question is very near the bridge in town and now has some approved boat launch matts in it. Lots of depth to float a boat and a good bank to tie up to. No environmental concerns of backing trucks into the river as only the trailer leaves the pads. It is also two wheel drive friendly. There are no down sides to this site other than paper work is not completed. We are working with TransAlta to rectify this. letters of support can be directed to the Town or Chamber of Commerce.
Rapid Transit has stated this case very clearly. Over thirty years of west side boat launching and then we as boaters are made out to be the problem. We had asked about a replacement boat launch at the time of the new bridge construction and were told not to worry as it was being looked after. I guess we have been looked after just not in a safe and environmentaly correct manner.

Schmidb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: CLOSED Reply with quote

Maybe boats wont be available or able to launch due to this change I agree if its not looked after it will become a garbage dump due to partying, glass garbage etc. in the water etc.
I dont understand if it wasnt hurting anything why would they shut it down?

Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maybe boats wont be available or able to launch due to this change I agree if its not looked after it will become a garbage dump due to partying, glass garbage etc. in the water etc.
I dont understand if it wasnt hurting anything why would they shut it down?"

Well Brian, They heard that you have a boat now and it scared them. Shocked Shocked
shallow draft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we succeeded in making this a big enough issue for TA.
I think the town has been able to buy this property from TA. We may have a launch by next year's season. AE has sent out a couple of warning letters to some really bad people. Some of us don't have to go to jail now.

Schmidb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: What birthday is nearing? Reply with quote

Well Dave I have heard the reason was you are coming to that nasty age, they have heard of ur past boat handling experiences and viewed some posted photos of your bodily uncharted areas on line, it was then a unanimous vote and the decision made that Rocky could do without those views and dangers.
Doing the math when a person reaches that big nasty NUMBER, the chances of incidents repeating themselves is 3 fold, I believe council took the safest route....... chanced the parties loud noise etc. Laughing

Have a great day.

Stump thumper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard anything recently about the launch, was wandering if things got sorted out and if there is a decent place in Rocky to launch. Would like to check out the river there sometime.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had asked the town last week if they would plow out the launch on the east side( as terrible as it is) and nothing happened yet, I suspect after last years BS storm they are pretty goosey about doing anything down there without permition from the gods.
lots of ice buildup this year which should help us on the west side at the "new" launch site, no damage no maintainence, one more excuse to cross off the list !
the town has the roads blocked off, (to keep out the squatters), which makes me believe that they own the land or are close to a deal with TA power, if not then they are just as guilty of doing work there as the rest of .........whoever dug in the new launch,or laid the concrete pads down.
they appear to be in favor of the whole thing if they can get the half acre of land from TA for a reasonable price
if you halve time call or email the town and ask if the new launch is open, please do so a couple dozen hits will make a big difference to the elected experts thanks in advance lchambers@rockymtnhouse.com or call 403 845 3740 ask for Lee Chambers or the mayor Jim Bague
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: