OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bottom detailing.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Bottom detailing..... Reply with quote

Ok so Im well into getting Xero back on the water and its been a little more work than I thought! I guess its easier taking the boat out of the Muskegon river than taking the Muskegon river out of the boat! There was ALOT of leaves, sand, silt and twigs etc in the hull. So basically I have the hull upsdie down on the trailer with motor/tanks etc out. Its amazing what you will do when you have access to 2 forklifts!
Ive always wanted to do some work to the spoon/intake and now is the time. Is it just common sense smooth flow the goal here? I notice there was no bondo anywhere except the trailing edge of the spoon. Will any work on the leading edge/sides help? I also would like input from anyone with an older tunnel intake on what shape the grate mount plate should be??? On a stock berk they are flat. I had to make mine and it doesn't fit that great cause the shape is rather odd??? I should have asked Mark about where the matching grate went.
Any tips here would be greatly apreciated. I realize this may be intruding on race secrets but I want this dang boat to hit 75 at least before winter! I have the power, impellor willing it should be possible

Cheers

hcw3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no answers but plenty of sympathy. Coffee crisp is good....
Kev-o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xero, Aaaah the magic spoon quest? I don`t think there is just one same answer to that one. A lot of variables, horsepower being the most important one I THINK Idea I am sure you will receive lots of tips here and trial and error will prevail. Have not seen BONDO on the side edges for a while, don`t think it did anything positive. You might want to focus on the first 9"-10" in front of the grate! What works on one tunnel might not do the same on the next tunnel due to set up! Good luck.

Kev-o
WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I went through a gravel bank and some of the bondo that helps smooth the bottom went off. It does make a difference. It's not dramatic, but it is a difference.

Thatīs what I can tell about it.

MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a starting point with every boat, and that only gets you to about 85% of the hulls potential, and every boat is different, even if their the same year, make and model. In order to get the last 15%, you have to spend hours and hours of trial and error. Paddy Straton spent hundreds of hours on his boat and its the nicest running boat I've ever seen, bar none. Time=speed
You'll find that one set up will give you more speed but you can't turn and vice a versa. And when you change one thing it changes everything else. My limited experience (and I invite other much more experienced and knowledgeable racers) has shown that you want to monitor your water flow/pressure in both the top and bottom of your intake, watch for reversion/uneven flow in your intake, spray a light coat of flat black or graphite paint in your intake and you should be able to see where the majority of your water is traveling by where the paint has been removed. You can also do the same thing to your impeller to see how the intake is feeding it. Also, if you look closely at your impeller you may see some strange wear marks if your getting some turbulence/cavitation.

This is probably about .0000000000000001% of what there is involved in fine tuning your boat. With some luck and a lot of time you should be able to get it much closer to it's full potential. Then you'll hit a rock and it'll screw everything up, or maybe it'll make you go faster???? Rolling Eyes Shocked Laughing It can be very frustrating and I think that this is part of what makes the sport so challenging, fun and at times for me a real love hate affair. Well, maybe not hate, just extremely frustrating, especially when you're looking for that last few %.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss' I've been curious about alot of things you've mentioned for a while, trying to just tackle a few things at a time.
I am pretty interested in installing pressure sensors in the pump to see what its doing and start getting used to seeing a little data so I know what effect things are having. Anyone care to share where the best place to install said sensors would be? You are the first person I have ever heard mention intake pressure in TWO places but Im not surprised really. Im sure things can be vastly different in different places in the suction peice due to the movement of the incoming water and the rotation of the impeller.
The paint makes sense too and I am pretty certain I am cavitating at some point(s). I can't see my boat not having a little more grunt with this new motor than it seems to. I intend to spend alot more time over winter fitting the suction peice as Im not really happy with how it lined up in the boat when I bolted it in but again as you say im sure its that attention to detail that pays off in the long run.
Any more tips greatly apreciated here guys cause as you know I am no mans land out here as far as tunnels/setups go!

Cheers

MaxPower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think spoon tuning will do any good on a 75 mph boat, just keep it in good condition
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max, I think you're right. I've also heard that spoons don't help until you are in the 85+mph range, maybe even faster depending on the hull and set up.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I maybe wasn't that clear on what my goal was. Im not really so much looking for that last drop of speed as much as just making sure whats there isn't hurting me. I hadn't touched that area of the hull since I got it and have obviously run some rocky stuff and the bondo that didn't look that great when I got it has been scratched and torn away. Its gotten to the stage where I suspect it IS hurting the flow into the pump. I just was curious as to whats recommended so when I have the boat upside down and can get at it easily I can make it as good as possible. Like I say I don't have the ability to go and look at anyone's tunnel out here since as far as I know I have the only one east of the prairies!

Made alot of progress on capturing my own video footage the past few days and will try to send someone some teaser clips. I have a few decent ones from the Saugeen and the Muskegon in the works. I better knock on wood my computer NEVER cooperates this much with me!

Thanks again for the tips guys and keep em coming.

Cheers

WILSON

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion and experience about the best use for bondo/fiberglass/papier maché or any other to "fix" the bottom is:

Get a piece of metal that is really straight. Now that you have your boat upside down, place the straight thing lenghtwise and see if you have any "gaps" on the center section before the intake (or spoon, if you happen to have one). If you see "gaps" or spaces between the bottom and your straight thing, it means that part of the bottom is not straight. Fill the gaps with bondo and try to have it as smooth as a princess' butt.

Probably those "low friction" coatings available at West marine might also help. (I havenīt tried as we donīt have West Marine in Mexico Crying or Very sad )

Keep on working and keep us posted

leadvilleone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll try that this winter on the sport jet. Now...to find a princess that will give me access to her bottom. (For statictical comparison of course)
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I get first dibs on her Im doing this NOW! Razz

Any luck with capturing more clips before the "incident" Lead? I'm real close to getting this all figured out here, I have the footage on my pC just learning how to manipulate it without losing too much quality. We gotta do this again so I have more footage to play with! Wanna come up and run the Saugeen ?????
Wink
OT is kicking in starting tomorrow but I can squeeze out a Sunday if you're game(once Im all back together)

Cheers

hcw3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much snow do you have? We got 6" over night and the temps fallen. Hmm, going to toronto to get out of the snow, what's wrond with that picture?
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow!??! WHats that??? Razz
none yet <knocking vigorously on wood>
you guys always seem to get it alot worse than us anyway, despite what people think. Im not expecting the white stuff till xmas or hopefully after!
I'll keep ya posted but trust me the Saugeen ain't deep enough to worry about getting very wet! (hope that sportjet can take a rock strike or two haha Surely you need to replenish the Coffee Crisp supply by now don't ya???
Cheers

(made a little video last nite of the "incident" but its 900+ MB and I have no clue how to make it smaller yet, workin on it...)

MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just a dusting and a bunch of Yuppys who don`t know how to drive and just bitter cold ice patches
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: