OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

superchargers??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WKIDTOY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: superchargers?? Reply with quote

I was tossing around the idea of supercharging the 8.1 in my sport so i gave the guys at Kodiak marine a call to see if they had done any like they do with the 6. they said the 8.1 is not quite strong enough internally in some places as stock so they send them out for some minor parts changing. Is anyone running a charger on a stock 8.1 without blowing sh*# up, just the unit themselves are costly enough without having to through money at a practically new motor, 30hrs.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the things you'll need to change is Pistons, youll want lower compression ( to take advantage of the boost ) and Forged pistons, to protect themselves against detonation. Other than that a cam change might be in order most cam companies offer specific cam for blower applications, and 9 times out of ten blower cams are much easier on the valvetrain. Probably the addition of a chiller would be a good idea in a boat as the motor is constantly under load and a chiller will make power and lower the chance of detonation.

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 6.2 L Supercharged Intercooled LSA last year and it's rocks, with the lightnings, it's at least 550 hp and 550 ft /lbs of torque and a hell of lot lighter then a BB.

Like us on Facebook

WKIDTOY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the working of more overtime will be required to support the need for speed.Thanks for the info looks like what you suggested is inline with the guys at Kodiak Marine but i always like to get some opinions. Should of guessed that outlaw uses them for a reason great boat needs a good engine.
Boomhower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAWGs right the LSA does ROCK! If you did an engine swap in that 21 sport of yours Id put money on a 15mph gain in top end and way more consistent mid range than the 8.1. Plus the LSA is lighter and would be approx. 25% better on fuel too. That LSA would fit perfect under that engine cover as well..
JMO but I would not waste any money or time improving that 8.1. better off selling it to someone needing to power a hamilton in a bigger boat. You could still get $8-9 K for it. Then you only need $9k more to get into the LSA. Its only money and fun isn't cheap.
WKIDTOY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remortgaging the house for a bigger faster engine for my boat Twisted Evil is their a good salesmen on here that could spin this so it sounds like a good idea to the better half. Thanks Boom like i needed help spending money. Laughing
boosted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my BBF going with a Vortech on it with 5 psi intercooled netted me 1000 rpm gain on the same impeller. It is a Ford however so you might not get that out of a Cheby Laughing

You should check out procharger as they may have a kit for it. I would go with a centrifical style if you have the choice. Not that the LSA system doesn't work just the centrificals are a little more efficient and being that they don't make boost at low rpm doesn't matter.

I run 87 octane on a 501 bbf with 5psi on an econo cut (a4) Agresser@5300 rpm or 5700 on a AA. JPC says 836 hp. There is no reason that an 8.1 can't do the same with a little lower compression

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bossted is right, there is no replacement for displacement, you force some air down the throat of that 8.1 and your going to get some big HP and Torque numbers that my LSA wont touch, even at the 9 psi boost I can run. BB's make big power. I do have a BDS 8-71, the carbs,the chiller and intake manifold for sale if your interested, id should bolt right up it came off a 540 BB Chev. 5K and she's yours, id still recommend changing your pistons though.

8-71.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.97 KB
 Viewed:  14127 Time(s)

8-71.JPG

Like us on Facebook

WKIDTOY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are a wealth of info, i do not have the expertise to do any of these mods myself so when i collect the money i will have to find a good shop for the work as trading reliability for power is not wort it. Kodiak did say they have a good performance shop who does all their work, i did not check with the boys at outlaw to see if they get into engine rebuilds. by the answers i got form my questions a lot of you guys do your own work.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as possible when I have time, you can save a ton of money if it's done properly, if not the results can be catastrophic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsSVLZ6wCI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRYwrHQyJAM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgQIgALJhjA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0iTLrI9G7k

Like us on Facebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: