OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hit A Rock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrightMark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Hit A Rock Reply with quote

hey im new to the sport bought my first boat begining of summer(19ft. eagle sport/350) love it! i have spent a fair bit of time on rivers with it so far, last trip out Athabasca River near whitecourt i unfortunatley found a big rock and have two large dents on very bottom/center of boat. one is about 1 foot ahead of intake grate and runs 12" the other dent is just a head of this one and is a bit longer and deeper. i got pics but pretty hard to make out. how do i fix or should i even worry about it.

bottom.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.49 MB
 Viewed:  14800 Time(s)

bottom.png

Last edited by BrightMark on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it affect performance?
Is there QT100 on the boat?
Is there any new leaks?
BrightMark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happened close to boat launch didnt run it all that hard after hitting the rock just kinda took it easy kinda of an eye opener, cant really say if it has affeted the performance or new leaks, as for QT100 like i said im new to the sport what is it?
shorty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres another thread that was on here with some tips for beating out dents

http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2683

shouldnt be too bad with no qt-100 skid plate might have to pull the engine and or gas tank to get at the dents from the top side tho
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QT100 is a steel plate they bolt on near the intake to prevent lower impact hits.(goes half way to the nose and is a few feet wide) Don't worry, rocks and river boating are a common thing. You should be ok as they don't look to be directly in front of the intake. You might notice at WOT when you turn or something. It might rev a bit and cavitate. If it's not taking on water and doesn't really affect perf you should be fine. You can book into OE for the winter and they can pound them out with the engine and floor int out. Price out a QT install as well. It's a must for boating IMO.
BrightMark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it typical to see a sport boat with teflon on the bottom? if so can teflon be applied with QT already installed?
sroney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you are having fun! By the picture that does not look like anything to worry about, looks pretty minor. Most jet boats do have the odd scratch or dent on the bottom. The first couple hurt the most!

No, its one or the other as far as i know. QT-100 is boiler plate, its good stuff stronger than hell. Teflon is good as well, they both have there applications. I know I have 1 inch teflon on the bottom of my boat and one of the rivers i like to run is shallow in spots and has a lot of shale rock that is sharp and jagged, I find if i hit bottom the teflon almost works against me because the jagged rock actually cuts into the teflon and pulls me off step were as if i had Qt 100 i would more than likely just skip off it. So if i had my time back i would have went with QT 100. Plus QT is cheaper I believe.

So anyway, just keep having fun, dont sweat the dents, and scratchs these boats are made to suck up a bit of abuse.
chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get a bigger boat either this year or in the spring and the Clearwater will be my playground for the most part. Is the shale that bad with teflon? I was thinking teflon, so I could push it easier, but I really hope to venture the upper clearwater a lot more. Maybe I need to rethink things.

Right now I'm thinking lighter boat, with teflon strip. Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board. LOL
BrightMark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just want to say thanks for the advice, its nice to know that there are good ppl. out there willing to lead a newbie in the right direction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: