OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gettin' Stuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outlaw_runnin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Gettin' Stuck Reply with quote

So for those guys that run skinny rivers and get stuck often - sometimes beyond pushing limits - what do you use to get your boat unstuck if you're by yourself?

I'm running a 20' clearwater and it is not moving with just me and a gravel bar...

I have a comealong but what happens when there is nothing to tie off on?

I've heard of a 'turfer' but don't know any details. Also have heard of a chainsaw winch. Anyone know details or where a guy can pick up parts?

I wish I could run with another boat all the time but schedules sometimes doesn't allow and I still like to have fun.

Appreciate the help.
Steely

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Gettin Stuck Reply with quote

Hey outlaw runnin,
Where are you mostly running? I may be up for a few runs together if your around Red Deer. If so E-mail me a reply at svnikula@shaw.ca
Outlaw_runnin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pine, Peace, Halfway, Sukunka, Murry, Kechika, Muskwa, etc.

Hence the need for a "get off the gravel bar" system.

Just wondering if anybody has a unit that works really well for two guys or possibly by yourself.

I know, I know, a guy shouldn't be boating by himself in tough water, yada yada - what fun would that be...
big block

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have thease 5 foot or so long aluminum pry bars i use with my 19 sport, with two people its not bad to get it back into water, i have even done it myself when the old lady didnt want to get wet haha Rolling Eyes
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought a "sea anchor" or "drift sock" would be the answer to getting a boat back in the water. I'm sure the first couple of times would be interesting, depending on the speed of the current. But as long as you were ready to pull the control line and dump the water out of the drift sock when you were back in the current it should work.

Or this "boat brake" obviously not going to be used as intended but if you use the smallest one and trap 42 gallons of river water that is trying to flow past your boat I'm sure that if nothing else it will make barring it back to the water less work.

http://www.seaanchor.com/boatbrakes.htm
chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i think that sea anchor thing could work, depending on flow. You throw a parachute out into the current and let it pull pull your boat. The issue with that it I think it would sink you if you weren't careful. I think if you fastened two ropes and when you are out, you remove one rope and the chute just goes slack. Kind of like how a parachute holds the air. If you cut the string on one side it would just go slack.
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are set up with a control line so you can turn it inside out to reduce drag.

drag_adjustment.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.23 KB
 Viewed:  18164 Time(s)

drag_adjustment.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry the "Portablewinch" it's a Cat head style winch with a honda motor, it's light, 300 feet of the rope fits in a nice bag, Outlaw sells them, Google it, or call Bernie in parts. There made in Canada. The continueous long rope is the ticket.
likes2boat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the chainsaw winch, I hve one and it will pull my boat across dry land no problem.

As far as anchoring it I built a grid out of aluminum, kind of like an X's and O's game with a clevise on one side I also carry 4 2' long spikes that get pounded in at different angles in the grid.

Only had to add the anchor to the equation once, most times the grid is enough.

riverboater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has a piece of belly tarp about 8 ft long, one side has a lead line from a siene boat sewed in along side a rope with a loop on each end just sticking out the ends of the tarp. the other side has a similar rope with loops sewn in. the heavy side down and tied back to the bow eye with rope. the top side tied with two ropes to cleats just at the base of the windshield. Adjust rope length to get the tarp out into fast water, once you have the lead line tied to the boat you just pull up and wrap the top rope to the cleats. It is amazzing how much pull this creates, once into deep water again let go of the top ropes wrapped around the cleats and every thing stops giving you a chance to collect it all back up. another trick we use is three large air filled dock bumpers, 8 inch x 40 inch. that and a jack all jack with a pice of plywood. Jack up the back of the boat and stick one bumper under the back. get a couple of large boys to put theie shoulders to the bow and push it back onto the roller untill it tips back. then stick another under from the front as far as you can, go to the back and start pushing. once on top of the two rollers place the third under before the other comes out the back. (you may need 4 rollers on a larger boat) once it is on the rollers one person can push a large boat over a gravel bar with very little effort. I have used both methods, if you are still in about 4 or 5 inches of water the tarp works good. If you are hi and dry the rollers work better.
riverboater
Rollo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the parachute idea, and found that it was problematic. There is only one direction for the chute to pull in, downstream. The closest channel is not always that way. Definetly a pole to pry with is good, and I carry a winch, and a block. I use a 3' piece of 2" auger flyting, with a "T" handle to auger it into the rock bed. It helps to have second person holding the anchor down a bit. Lots of rope, at least 300 feet of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: