OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on impellers wanted!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Opinions on impellers wanted! Reply with quote

I am running a mild 455 Olds with a Berk 12JC mostly for waterskiing & wakeboarding.
I ruined my original Berkeley "A" impeller when my thrust bearing failed from lack of maintenance.
Embarassed Live and learn. Embarassed
I am going to replace the impeller and wear ring and have been given conflicting advice as to size and brand of impeller I should use.
I am more interested in "zip" than top speed.
At this point I am probably going to get an American Turbine "A" impeller with a shouldered wear ring, unless one of you guys would be kind enough to tell me why another setup would be better.

If you want to see pics of the carnage:
http://www2.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102560
AR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Cobra Jet that I bought new with a 403 Olds, Berkeley jet with an "A" aluminum impeller that I use for the same thing.

I've replaced the impeller a couple times and always go back to the same thing. I've got other impellers laying on the shelf but why change a good thing. I run mine in the river that is 3 to 6 foot deep, the boat runs 52 mph and will pull three guys on a Sloam or two guys Barefoot'n.

Your boat with a 455 Olds is probably 3 mph faster. An Olds makes good low end, but has a poor oiling system and does not like to be turned over 5000 rpm. Good Luck ! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"An Olds makes good low end, but has a poor oiling system and does not like to be turned over 5000 rpm. "

Thanks for the response! What do you think about capitalizing on the strong low end by using a larger ("AA") impeller? It would keep the RPM down, but someone has suggested it might put a strain on the engine and cause overheating of the oil?
AR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you turning for RPM now, 4600/4800 is my guess ? If you go to a "AA" you will lose another 300/400 RPM and be on the low end of the power band. The "A" is a good all around impeller. When you get your pump re-built and tightened up, you'll think you have a new boat.

I like the Plastic Stepped Wear Ring that Hi-Tech has, but that's just me. You will have a little set-up with the stepped wear ring, you know ?

The high oil temp has always been a problem you just didn't know it. Sad The harder you work the motor the higher the oil temp. You should use a straight weight oil and 30 weight was recommended by most of the boat manufactures that used the Olds/ Jet package.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if it worked good before it will probably work good again. Embarassed Razz

Like Wilson says, " Wisdom Chases Me, But I'm Faster" Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are you turning for RPM now, 4600/4800 is my guess ?

Unfortunately I really don't know. I bought this boat (my first!) in September and was just enjoying it in ignorance until the problems came up Confused . I would expect your guess is a good one, and I appreciate the conservative approach. I will probably stick with an "A".
Any experience opinions on brands of impellers?

From what I have been able to gather so far my impressions are as follows:

1) Berkeley is the tried and true standard, but "isn't what it used to be" and produces a rougher product.
2) American Turbine is reliable and does nicer finish work than Berkeley, but doesn't have any major performance advantage over Berkeley.
3) Aggressor has noticeable performance advantage on low end "hole shot" but may have problems with cracking, (especially in hi-perf. pumps where unloading can occur).

I only want to do this once! (although I have to admit it has been fun tearing down the pump and learning about the elegant simplicity of a jet drive!!) Smile
AR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey El Pro ,
Check your pm......... Laughing
AR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're a "Racer" looking for that last .00X of a second,

Buying a specific brand impeller is like buying a new pair of shoes,when you get them home they will be the best ones you have!

The most expensive may not always be the best. Laughing

my $ .02
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks AR Reply with quote

Thanks AR, I may give Duane at HTP a call. I am beginning to think your right about over-analyzing brands etc., and I need to "just do it".
Thanks again,
EP
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic as I too am in the market for a full pump rebuild and a switch to SS.
Anyone care to give us a little more knowledge perhaps from someone with alot of experience in racing or otherwise? Are there SS ones to avoid? Ive heard agresssors are not as good as original Berks?
What type of wear ring is best for running skinny water etc?

Cheers

TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Kehoe ( I think that's the wrong spelling ) builds what I believe was called CLEMENTS. These are supposed to be one of the better SS or Steel impellers from what I have been told, I have never run one, but I am sure someone can enlighten us and let us know how to contact Roger.

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
Thirsty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clement Impeller will be the last one you will have to buy for a long time, I mostly run the Upper Red Deer River in a 19 Eagle Step Tec, the things can handle a lot of gravel chewing.
AR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Aluminum, a Bronze, and a Stainless Steel all being new with a new wear ring and the same size will all three do exactly the same thing !

The Bronze will out last the Aluminum and the Stainless will out last them both.

That being said, if you are running the stock grate in shallow water the Stainless is the way to go. It's just a matter of which one is the toughest.

If you are running a Loader with no rock grate like the Fiberglass guys do and suck up a Golf Ball size rock and drive it back to the ramp any one of the three will be junk by the time you get there.

As for an Aggressor Impeller size for size it pushes more water than the rest. In other words an "A" Aggressor would be equal to a "AA" Berkeley.
Most Drag Race records are held with a SS Aggressor.

Now if you decide to put a 1500 hp BBC in your Beer Can and turn it 7500 rpm stay away from an Aluminum Impeller, you'll blow the Blades of it on the first pass down the 1/4 mile. Under 550 hp they are all good, just the harder the material the longer they last. The important thing is check your rock grate and make sure its still there and in good shape.

If I was going to experiment with different pitch impellers I would start with a "AA" Aluminum and cut it till I found the right size then duplicate it and change to a SS. Cheaper that way. Wink

again, my $ .02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience that cutting a SS impeller to match an aluminum one does not work. The SS seam to take more power to turn a same size impeller the same rpm.

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
AR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, there is a weight factor here, but we are splitting hairs. What are you talking about 50 - 100 rpm ?

I've seen your boat run and in your race situation that is probably the difference from one place finish to another. But to most of us week-end non-racer want-a-be's Aluminum is 1/5 the price of SS to play with. Wink

Hey, did you get your other Black Boat dried out ? You know the one with wheels ! Embarassed Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top,
You are absolutely right if you're going to put an impeller in a lath and cut it yourself be prudent and cut conservatively.

It's easier to remove material than to put back. Embarassed

Can you imagine the guys that have a trim ring siliconed to the bowl experimenting very much with impellers ? Even if a set back pump didn't help you go forward, it would still be advantageous just from a maintance stand point let alone a little impeller tuning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: