OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on impellers wanted!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you beat me to it Gary, I was about to say this must require a larger wear ring OD. Whats involved with that whole process and how is the wear ring mechanically held in place. My pump is not apart at the moment so I can't visualize how its attached altho I assume some form of set screw or countersunk bolts???
cheers

Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend the cash to get a Berkley SS impeller. I wore a Clements one out in 2 years and have Had my SS Berk for 2 years and it still looks good. The Clements one was a good one, but it cracked several times.
Mike R

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Man wrote:
Spend the cash to get a Berkley SS impeller. I wore a Clements one out in 2 years and have Had my SS Berk for 2 years and it still looks good. The Clements one was a good one, but it cracked several times.

HMMMMMM............isn't that the one I bought from you?
DOC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, its probably the one i got !!
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Decision made! Reply with quote

Went to Pismo Beach on Monday, and after being beat down and cramped up by the surf took the opportunity to swing by Jet Boat Performance in Atascadero.
I bought an American Turbine AA impeller and kit, and Tom took care of me on some miscellaneous used hardware I needed. Suction housing is assembled, clearances are good, can't wait to finish up and try her out. Report to follow.
Also, Tom had an Aggressor impeller and a third brand (I think it was Legend or Berk) to look at, and IMHO the workmanship of the American Turbine compared to the others was visibly superior.
More to follow. . . .
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are times when it's better to say nothing. Embarassed Rolling Eyes Shocked
They are still good impellers, just not the most ideal for a race boat. I run a Berkley Very Happy
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are times when it's better to say nothing.

I can take it Bald Man! Is there something I should know about American Turbine? Sad
AR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say, Aluminum or Stainless Steel ?

I've bought several impellers from Tom, even though he lives in the Land of the Fruits and Nuts. Laughing He's an honest Guy.

What you have will certainly be better than what you had. I just, from my experience think it will need cut. Even the high compression HO 455's with 345 hp came with "A"s. Those Old's in a Boat were rated 325 hp and 345 for the HO's. The 403's were 245 hp.

Back in the late 70's early 80's there were three Dealers that sold Jets back here. The order of dominance was Chevy, Ford, and Olds. Slower to fastest maybe 7 mph in stock trim.

My Ski Boat, bought it New in 1978.

________

R &R 3 007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.4 KB
 Viewed:  828 Time(s)

R &R 3 007.jpg

Last edited by AR on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Aluminum Reply with quote

Quote:
You didn't say, Aluminum or Stainless Steel ?

I bought aluminum - couldn't afford stainless.

Quote:
from my experience think it will need cut.

You very well could be right. I probably shouldn't admit this in public, but I will be more than happy if I can get 50mph out of it on the top end. I really just want to feel the acceleration up to that speed and tow some skiers without burning up my antique Olds.

On another note, I talked to a tech at American turbine yesterday, and he told me that BOTH grease seals face (spring side) AWAY from the thrust bearing. I understand that this is b/c it is more important to keep water out than grease in. Sure seems weird though.
AR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did Tom tell you about the seals ?

Leave them out, water lubricates them. Laughing Really ! Wink

Were the seals good when you took it apart ?

My Yellow Boat runs 53 mph with a Berkeley "A" and a 403 Olds turning 4600 rpm. One big guy "Foot'n", still runs 49 mph ! Wink

_________
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Reply with quote

[quote="El Prosecutor
On another note, I talked to a tech at American turbine yesterday, and he told me that BOTH grease seals face (spring side) AWAY from the thrust bearing. I understand that this is b/c it is more important to keep water out than grease in. Sure seems weird though.[/quote]

Most everything about jetboating is weird Very Happy Very Happy
And then there is ALUMINUM whitewater jetboating...................... Cool Shocked When you casually talk to other boaters or even motorsports folks about what we do and how we do it, they simply dismiss you as some kind of crackpot liar or at least a Grand Champion BS'er. I have had people tell me that the photos that they have seen are "obviously PhotoShopped" Confused

In an AT bowl you want to isolate the rear bearing and its grease supply from as much water as possible. Hence the double seals in "backwards". You will still end up with some water intrusion into the grease eventually, but that is why you just keep pumping in grease from the back. With the seals in "backward" it allows the grease to easily move past the seals' lips and push the old grease and water "out" (into the bowl area). Viola-new fresh unadulterated grease!

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
AR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you casually talk to other boaters or even motorsports folks about what we do and how we do it, they simply dismiss you as some kind of crackpot liar or at least a Grand Champion BS'er.

Yep, I had to drive all the way to Oregon to see for myself. Shocked Cool
I've even heard you guys drain your motor block after every time in the water. Rolling Eyes

Gary, do you really grease your pump ever time in the water ? Embarassed
I used to have an Aggressor bowl and did try to remember to grease it once in awhile. But, I must admit, I wasn't very good about it. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Pro, What kind of Pump and Bowl do you have ????

______
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR wrote:
Quote:
When you casually talk to other boaters or even motorsports folks about what we do and how we do it, they simply dismiss you as some kind of crackpot liar or at least a Grand Champion BS'er.

Yep, I had to drive all the way to Oregon to see for myself. Shocked Cool
I've even heard you guys drain your motor block after every time in the water. Rolling Eyes

Gary, do you really grease your pump ever time in the water ? Embarassed
I used to have an Aggressor bowl and did try to remember to grease it once in awhile. But, I must admit, I wasn't very good about it. Evil or Very Mad

We have a set of ball valves threaded into the block drain holes, one each side. Makes it real easy to dump the coolant. When on the trailer just before pulling out(still with motor running) you just open the valves and dump a load into the bottom of the boat. Amazing how much silt comes out. Don't do it every time the boat comes out of the water, but at the end of each day is a good idea. Have been known to re-back it in after everyone is out and the ramp it cleared and re-fire it to just flush the coolant. The idea is to just get the sediment out. I don't want to have a "dry" block that still has a lot of heat in it. Also have an attachment that I can put in place of where the pump feeds water into the motor to attach a garden hose to flush clear tap water through if needed. Especially if the water is turbid. Spring run-off time tends to have lots of particulate matter in the rivers. You can build up a pretty good load of debris in the block and heads. Just fills the water passages and coolant can't flow.

Don't grease every time in the water. Part of the "program" though is to grease before every race and to re-grease if the bowl comes off. If it is not too harried I try to remember to pump a stroke or two of grease in the second morning before launch on a two day event. Have a long extension I made that allows me to do so even with the long steel race nozzle on.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: You guys are right, BUT. . . Reply with quote

You guys are right about the bowl bearing seals, but we were talking about the thrust bearing seals in the suction housing (see item 22):

The guy from AT said to install both of these facing away from the thrust bearing.

BTW, my pump is a Berk 12JC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: